Anderson breaks leg vs Weidman

Just wasn't the ending we wanted.

Awful for Silva as at 38 his career's over (although there's talk online that some in his camp are claiming docs say 3 - 6 months recovery !!?). And awful for the fans as we wanted to see what would happen if Silva didn't dick about.

For me though, the way Weidman dominated in the first round he's proven to me that he's the man to rightly knock one of the all time greatest off the top. Sonnen could take Silva down but couldn't then do much ground and pound - Wiedman different story. He takes Silva down and then hurts him.

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't watched UFC for years, although I tried to keep up to date with what's going on. I always try to watch as much of ADCC as I can as I prefer BJJ however I started following Bellator a couple of years ago and it's feels like how UFC used to be way back, there are plenty of characters...

In Japan it is only paid lip service.

It is supposed to be heavily regulated in the US, however some States test the every fighter on the event card and others "randomly check" - clearly how random can be always open to scrutiny and debate. For the UK see boxing, however the lower down the promotions you go the more you can get away with.

Funny old world isn't it - I've seen first hand a fighter nailing coke hours after a fight. I'll be coy so as not to put myself in bother but it was a high level fight to my mind....

If he has had or knows he isn't going to get drug tested after his fight he could load himself up on heroin and he'd be right. Coke is actually quite a good drug for athletes to take as it doesn't hang around in the system very long, that's why when anyone ever gets caught doing coke, they are a bit of a serious coke head. Coke is also a good drug for fighters to take as it is one of the few local anaesthetic that is a vasoconstrictor so reduces the amount of bleeding too.

But remember kids drugs are bad.

• 4 months later...

Watched Varner last night, unfortunately he broke his ankle early in the first but continued to fight. At the time I thought, total respect to keep fighting on; he couldn't really put any pressure on the foot and was collapsing under his own weight, but he was still attacking off his back well enough to continue the fight.

The fight was stopped when the first round ended.

This morning I've found out he's fractured two bones due to the low kick from Krause, and he's also sustained ligament damage - I wonder how much damage was caused because he carried on was allowed to carry on fighting with the injury? I believe the referees are under a lot of pressure from Dana White, however last night was madness. The ref should have stopped it there and then. I only hope Varner rehabilitates well enough to return to fighting strength.

:censored: the UFC.

awesome_James_Krause_Low_Kicks_Jamie_Var

other_Jamie_Varner_Fights_with_Broken_An

Don't get me started about the Doctor stepping on his injured leg at the end of the first round...

Watched Varner last night, unfortunately he broke his ankle early in the first but continued to fight. At the time I thought, total respect to keep fighting on; he couldn't really put any pressure on the foot and was collapsing under his own weight, but he was still attacking off his back well enough to continue the fight.

The fight was stopped when the first round ended.

This morning I've found out he's fractured two bones due to the low kick from Krause, and he's also sustained ligament damage - I wonder how much damage was caused because he carried on was allowed to carry on fighting with the injury? I believe the referees are under a lot of pressure from Dana White, however last night was madness. The ref should have stopped it there and then. I only hope Varner rehabilitates well enough to return to fighting strength.

:censored: the UFC.

awesome_James_Krause_Low_Kicks_Jamie_Var

other_Jamie_Varner_Fights_with_Broken_An

Don't get me started about the Doctor stepping on his injured leg at the end of the first round...

You mean this

http://youtu.be/V48lIq5-W30

There is absolutely no way that fight should have carried on. It leaves the fighter with the leg injury too vulnerable to more life-threatening injury and effectively ends the fight as a contest too. However, it is very difficult for a ref to tell how badly injured a leg is without examining it, or medical knowledge. UFC could easily add the ability to have a medical timeout for (non-head) injuries, like amateur boxing does for cuts, if it doesn't already; there might be problems with the fans initially but I think it could work. They may also have to follow the boxing protocol of having a doctor for both fighters, and possibly some in reserve too, which won't be cheap, but boxing manages to provide it.