Baxter and now Harkins are luxury players that stop us playing a basic 4-4-2.

I'm sure that Philliskirk and JCH would come good in a front 2 pairing, but now that Harkins is here Philliskirk will never get the chance.

LJ, Philliskirk is not a winger!

Edited by laticsrblue

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Baxter and now Harkins are luxury players that stop us playing a basic 4-4-2.

I'm sure that Philliskirk and JCH would come good in a front 2 pairing, but now that Harkins is here Philliskirk will never get the chance.

LJ, Philliskirk is not a winger!

Has football not moved on from basic 442 though?

Baxter was sold to pay for a goal scoring centre-forward. Ironically, a goalscoring centre-forward would benefit from a creative partner. Baxter was pushed into a weird midfield role. He was a success when he first came here because he was played in the right position. Yes, people loved him because he was a success. LJ didn't know how to play him. Baxter was quality. His sale was still a stupid idea, especially as the goal scoring centre-forward has turned out to be a flop.Harkins, a very poor man's Baxter. He is also an implicit recognition that LJ got it wrong and he's now trying to make up for it with a cheap version.

Of course you can argue that actually he was sold to bring in a pile of boring jouneymen who bring nothing different to the table.

Swings and roundabouts. The fact is that quality counts, which is why LJ is now trying to bring in Driver and Goodwillie.

Better late than never, hopefully.

Harkins is the player brought in to open up the defence, he looks capable of doing that to me, ok he's slow so once has done his trick he needs to move the ball on (he's not going to outpace anyone) but he knows that and so does Johnson. We have asked for a player like this, we now have one, let's see what he can do.

Baxter was sold to pay for a goal scoring centre-forward. Ironically, a goalscoring centre-forward would benefit from a creative partner. Baxter was pushed into a weird midfield role. He was a success when he first came here because he was played in the right position. Yes, people loved him because he was a success. LJ didn't know how to play him. Baxter was quality. His sale was still a stupid idea, especially as the goal scoring centre-forward has turned out to be a flop.Harkins, a very poor man's Baxter. He is also an implicit recognition that LJ got it wrong and he's now trying to make up for it with a cheap version.

Of course you can argue that actually he was sold to bring in a pile of boring jouneymen who bring nothing different to the table.

Swings and roundabouts. The fact is that quality counts, which is why LJ is now trying to bring in Driver and Goodwillie.

Better late than never, hopefully.

I think Johnson will regret getting rid of Baxter though he'll probably never admit it.

This is me praising Dickov, (yes!), but he was right when he said that Baxter is a striker. A goalscorer.

He was our top scorer last season and he'll out score our top scorer this season.

We flogged the solution to what has become our big problem.

In no way can the sale of the best footballer the club has had in eons be regarded as positive measure.

I for one thought it was a disastrous mistake , and still do.

How on earth could we not build a team around a player with his ability.

The lose of his ability & the speed of the two wingers no longer in the team are the main difference between the start of the season and now.

We are slow and predictable.

Every goal we score now is like trying to crack the Da Vinci Code and the back four are totally unable to stop defending well for most of the game but with the lmsot mandatory switching off moment to allow a soft goal.

Not the reason we bought him but I think he's to blame for not being goal-side of Grimmer at the corner for yesterday's goal.

Should Harkins be defending corner kicks? he's probably the slowest player to the ball in the team.

Edited by BP1960

Some save by Oxley. Time he got a bit of credit, he's doing a good job for us.

He's going the right way before Myrie-Williams get close to hitting it, think a lot of credit has got to go to the other staff responsible for our penalty research, most likely Mimms and Quarmby. It is still a fantastic save though, and I would agree that Oxley is not getting the credit he deserves, in fact it's the opposite as he gets ironic cheers if he comes and takes a cross.

That's a super save. Better than the Walsall one the other night.

Harkins was guilty of not smacking it first time in that goalmouth scramble.

Yes top save, but Harkins is the last person I'd put in to defend set pieces, better off outside the area to pick up any clearances.

So let's get it right Rooney at fault on Tuesday?

Oxley and our staff get full credit Saturday?

Funny how it works when results don't go your way! ;)

I don't think I ever said Rooney was at fault for his miss, some of it is down to him going to same way as he has done for his previous penalties during 90 minutes, and them being lucky not to spot that he had gone the other way against Chesterfield, but it is still a decent save.

Oxley's is a cracking save.

Not quite sure what Oxley is doing for their goal though, or Mellor for that matter.

They switched off. All of them.

I suppose I should have sympathy. As the corner was being taken a steward, for reasons unknown, was carrying Jenny Warburton (or her twin) behind the goal in front of the Latics fans. So I missed the goal.

I suppose I should have sympathy. As the corner was being taken a steward, for reasons unknown, was carrying Jenny Warburton (or her twin) behind the goal in front of the Latics fans. So I missed the goal.

No a much better arse than Jenny, I missed it too. The weak bladder brigade had my view obstructed.

You have hit on a great ploy, LJ should request a steward to carry the real Jenny when the Latics have a corner kick during the Peterborough game. If a goal results we will hail you as a tactical genius.

Edited by BP1960

It wasn't really directed at you rudemedic, I've read it on here several times today and I just wonder what the difference is...

No doubt it was a great save. But so was Tuesday.

Oh well I thought it was, I apologise. I think a lot of the people criticising Rooney are those who are moaning about him in general and it's more fuel to the fire. FWIW I rate Rooney, and think if we can persevere with him we might be on to a good-un. His goalscoring record also isn't as bad as some are making out, as they often aren't including his cup goals. Plus the fact that we are only really 3/5 of the way through the season.

Oh well I thought it was, I apologise. I think a lot of the people criticising Rooney are those who are moaning about him in general and it's more fuel to the fire. FWIW I rate Rooney, and think if we can persevere with him we might be on to a good-un. His goalscoring record also isn't as bad as some are making out, as they often aren't including his cup goals. Plus the fact that we are only really 3/5 of the way through the season.

I agree, people have made their mind up and in doing so just seek out the negative aspects of his game.

I know he is paid to score goals but isnt he our top league scorer at the moment? Its not just him struggleing to find the net it the whole team and when we resolve that issue his name could pop up on the score sheet more often. You don't turn into a poor player over night and a lot who want him out were singing his praises when he signed

Edited by palmer1

I agree, people have made their mind up and in doing so just seek out the negative aspects of his game.

I know he is paid to score goals but isnt he our top league scorer at the moment? Its not just him struggleing to find the net it the whole team and when we resolve that issue his name could pop up on the score sheet more often. You don't turn into a poor player over night and a lot who want him out were singing his praises when he signed

Joint top, he has 4, so does JCH and Macdonald. See http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/stats/player-stats/

Exactly.

I don't dispute the fact he's been a disappointment but Rooney got himself closest to scoring at Walsall and is getting slated as a result.

If he hadn't found the position to miss a sitter or had the bollocks to take the penalty they'd be slating someone else.