• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eh?

You've specified that penalty saves by both our and other keepers have been the result of analysis, down to naming the staff involved, and also that the failure to analyse one earlier penalty was the cause of Rooney scoring one because it was in a different competition. I think you might be looking a bit too far into it.

Baxter and now Harkins are luxury players that stop us playing a basic 4-4-2.

I'm sure that Philliskirk and JCH would come good in a front 2 pairing, but now that Harkins is here Philliskirk will never get the chance.

LJ, Philliskirk is not a winger!

we have played 442 most of the season without the 2 you mentioned at the start and it hasn.t worked has it, look at the league. agree about philly though, why move your top scorer to the wing, LJ,s muddled tinkering again, he should pick his best team and stick with it, sink or swim,

Harkins is the player brought in to open up the defence, he looks capable of doing that to me, ok he's slow so once has done his trick he needs to move the ball on (he's not going to outpace anyone) but he knows that and so does Johnson. We have asked for a player like this, we now have one, let's see what he can do.

one goal in all 4 games he has played, really unlocked defences hasn.t he ?

I would pair our two most likely/natural scores up front (McDonald and Rooney), Harkins just behind with a midfield three of Smith, Wes and Dayton.

JCH, Philly, Worral and the rest on the bench. Strong bench.

No 'target man' I know BUT you have two forwards waiting for the through ball from Harkins/Dayton and to lesser extent Wes/Korey. Not much down the wings but I don't think we have the forwards to attack the cross (Rooney at home v Vale being a notable exception).

Worth a try?

I would pair our two most likely/natural scores up front (McDonald and Rooney), Harkins just behind with a midfield three of Smith, Wes and Dayton.

JCH, Philly, Worral and the rest on the bench. Strong bench.

No 'target man' I know BUT you have two forwards waiting for the through ball from Harkins/Dayton and to lesser extent Wes/Korey. Not much down the wings but I don't think we have the forwards to attack the cross (Rooney at home v Vale being a notable exception).

Worth a try?

were too narrow already. LJ has already said that a good number of the crosses Rooney has got on the end of have ended up in the net. I don't think taking the wide men out is the answer, the service from them is what needs to change (for the better) also Dayton is the most lightweight player in the team so playing him cm, he will just be a target.

You've specified that penalty saves by both our and other keepers have been the result of analysis, down to naming the staff involved, and also that the failure to analyse one earlier penalty was the cause of Rooney scoring one because it was in a different competition. I think you might be looking a bit too far into it.

Perhaps I am and maybe both GKs got lucky, or read the penalty takers intentions in the run-up, something that I think is certainly possible. However, the picture of Walsall's research for our penalty takers is on twitter, it has been linked on here this week too. Myrie-Williams, who had his penalty brilliantly saved by Oxley yesterday took the penalty in this game, (it's at roughly 30 sec in),

That and yesterday's are two very similar penalties IMHO, and you can clearly see Oxley is going to right way before the penalty was taken yesterday.

As for Walsall's research into Rooney it only covered the league games and if it had included the Chesterfield penalty, which Rooney put to the other side, maybe Walsall's GK doesn't dive the right way, especially as Rooney's penalties prior to Tuesday in chronological order go right, left, right.

Edited by rudemedic

Perhaps I am and maybe both GKs got lucky, or read the penalty takers intentions in the run-up, something that I think is certainly possible. However, the picture of Walsall's research for our penalty takers is on twitter, it has been linked on here this week too. Myrie-Williams, who had his penalty brilliantly saved by Oxley yesterday took the penalty in this game, (it's at roughly 30 sec in),

That and yesterday's are two very similar penalties IMHO, and you can clearly see Oxley is going to right way before the penalty was taken yesterday.

As for Walsall's research into Rooney it only covered the league games and if it had included the Chesterfield penalty, which Rooney put to the other side, maybe Walsall's GK doesn't dive the right way, especially as Rooney's penalties prior to Tuesday in chronological order go right, left, right.

As I said...

Some of the greatest players in the world have missed penalties, yet some less than great ones you can bank on to score.

In theory I wonder who fans would rather back to score from the penalty spot, Neymar or Neil Redfearn ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=349L3w_T2u8

Edited by BP1960

Some of the greatest players in the world have missed penalties, yet some less than great ones you can bank on to score.

In theory I wonder who fans would rather back to score from the penalty spot, Neymar or Neil Redfearn ?

Depends on whether the GK had done their research or not? :wink:

Depends on whether the GK had done their research or not? :wink:

I can't recollect Neil ever missing one for the Latics, Andy Liddell either, perhaps someone will correct me on this if wrong as I'm not absolutely sure with now what's a fading memory.

Edited by BP1960

In no way can the sale of the best footballer the club has had in eons be regarded as positive measure.

I for one thought it was a disastrous mistake , and still do.

How on earth could we not build a team around a player with his ability.

The lose of his ability & the speed of the two wingers no longer in the team are the main difference between the start of the season and now.

We are slow and predictable.

Every goal we score now is like trying to crack the Da Vinci Code and the back four are totally unable to stop defending well for most of the game but with the lmsot mandatory switching off moment to allow a soft goal.

LJ said he wanted to build his team around Baxter pre season and talked him up in games last season... The decision to sell was boardroom level/sell clause being met lets not kid ourselves otherwise

The clause was not met.

Depends on how you look at it. As according to one of the local Sheffield journalists, who heard it from a member of the Shef. U board, who was the previous owner, with add-ons the sell-on clause could be surpassed. One of those add-ons could be them getting promoted, which they certainly won't be doing this year.

LJ said he wanted to build his team around Baxter pre season and talked him up in games last season... The decision to sell was boardroom level/sell clause being met lets not kid ourselves otherwise

I would guess that his agent had a lot to do with it. And once a player is talked into wanting a move the game is up.

As I said...

RM is correct though. The Walsall staff put pictures on Twitter of the research they had done into our penalty takers to show it had 'paid off' when O'Donnell saved from Rooney but they ignored the penalty Rooney hadn't put there. Likewise they ignored the one that Philly had missed too. It was entirely flawed research and they got lucky.

That save from Oxley is clearly from looking at Myrie-Williams last penalty. It's good reconnaissance and a cracking save to boot.

I'm sure Rooney has scored with penalties in the past even when keepers have guessed the right way, in the Walsall case the keepers reaction was a split second better than most and has to take credit for that - as can Oxley at Port Vale.