Oooh Roger Palmer chant

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a given that anything that is totally un pc should be aimed at the fat w****r that is Steve Evans.

If taste is off the agends, "Heart attack man," should be powering over the tannoy. The crowd should murmur, "Billy's gonna get ya," at his assistant

Was having this conversation on tw@tter last night, best suggestion we had was Don't Kill The Whale by Yes.

And pukka's spot on about chanting Ooh Roger Palmer at random black blokes, it's :censored:ing embarrassing.

in fairness to those who sang "Ooh Roger Palmer" at Udders a few years back, the steward had a slight look of roger, those singing it to the liner on saturday... well he was bald, 5"2' and didn't look a thing like roger so it was a bit mindless! at the end of the day though it's harmless banter and most people who've had it sung to them have either liked the banter or just laughed it off. As the liner on Saturday did!

I preferred the 'woahhhh michael van gerwen' to the fat bald lad sat amongst the latics fans, he embraced the song aswell loved it haha!

in fairness to those who sang "Ooh Roger Palmer" at Udders a few years back, the steward had a slight look of roger, those singing it to the liner on saturday... well he was bald, 5"2' and didn't look a thing like roger so it was a bit mindless! at the end of the day though it's harmless banter and most people who've had it sung to them have either liked the banter or just laughed it off. As the liner on Saturday did!

I preferred the 'woahhhh michael van gerwen' to the fat bald lad sat amongst the latics fans, he embraced the song aswell loved it haha!

I dare say a lot of players/officials have just been confused. It doesn't mean the intention was right though. I remember some lads singing, "Sun Jihai, He's the leader of the chippy," at a youngish steward one game. It's not horrific screaming of racial abuse, but does seeing a person of Chinese origin really merit a song?

We started it following the great Isle of Man tour of 1987. In truth, we were copying Stoke's 'Oooh Georgey Berry.' It didn't seem racist at the time, and it certainly wasn't intended to be. Alan Hardy even turned it into a scarf.

The original wasn't racist. I don't think anyone is saying it was.

Sol Campbell is right the whole establishment is racist. Every fan that sings you fat bastard is worse than you and me. I will be bold and say 8 out of 10 fans who sing 'Ohh Roger Palmer' wouldn't follow it up with ' you black bastard' unless it was Michael Adebolajo, even then the furthest thing from their minds would be racism. Stop looking for the slightest possible link to racism and perhaps you'll actually target true racist's

I shook my head. Didn't chant it. But grinned.

Am I racist?

People just going over the top like usual on here. sniping for a moan

A serious question then. Why didn't we direct the chant at the referee?

Edited by opinions4u

Why did it make you smile?

Why sing it in the first place?

I suppose if it is sung in a series of historical songs about players, that would be understandable - but as a stand-alone chant when a black guy walks past? That's racist.

Sol Campbell is right the whole establishment is racist. Every fan that sings you fat bastard is worse than you and me. I will be bold and say 8 out of 10 fans who sing 'Ohh Roger Palmer' wouldn't follow it up with ' you black bastard' unless it was Michael Adebolajo, even then the furthest thing from their minds would be racism. Stop looking for the slightest possible link to racism and perhaps you'll actually target true racist's

That seems to me to be very bigoted putting people into a lower class, mentally or socially, by way of a prejudgement. As racists and sexists do.

In future can we sing the following instead, to the tune of Go West

"Your skin, is the same colour

As our record goalscorer,

Your skin, is the same colour,

As our record goalscorer

Your skin...."

At least this way the linesman, in the event he's never heard of Roger Palmer, could've been in on our observational terrace banter.

Edited by HarryBosch

That seems to me to be very bigoted putting people into a lower class, mentally or socially, by way of a prejudgement. As racists and sexists do.

Oh dear....that was sarcasm brother, you know like all those going on how racist those that sing ohh roger palmer are. Nevermind I must be racist cos I don't think most who are being branded racist actually are. Yet more precious going on.

Edited by Lags