Oooh Roger Palmer chant

Sol Campbell is right the whole establishment is racist.

Sol Campbell may or may not have a valid point up to a point but his claim that he would have been England captain for 10 years if he had been white is, in opinion, utter bollocks as his own words on 5Live confirmed last night, When he said that Beckham was made captain because he was a good PR man and that he didn’t really fit that mould he instantly confirmed that his sensationalist point had no validity whatsoever. Whether the England captain should be chosen on the basis of PR is another debate altogether.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sol Campbell may or may not have a valid point up to a point but his claim that he would have been England captain for 10 years if he had been white is, in opinion, utter bollocks as his own words on 5Live confirmed last night, When he said that Beckham was made captain because he was a good PR man and that he didnt really fit that mould he instantly confirmed that his sensationalist point had no validity whatsoever. Whether the England captain should be chosen on the basis of PR is another debate altogether.

It wasn't like we installed Rio Ferdinand or Paul Ince as captain

Rasicm will never ever go away when people like Sol Campbell who have apparently fought against it his whole career play the 'race card' when his autobiography due out.

Racism must be rife at the top of this game when a black footballer can represent 2 of the top clubs in the league in this country and in Europe while being paid over 100k per week. Play in 2 world cups alongside another black player Rio Ferdinand in defence.

I can't believe he was held back and not made captain for ten years. People like Sol Campbell actually do damage to any campaign against racism.

To use the chant ooohh Roger Palmer in regard to any other player of colour is rasicm. Its been heard a number of times over the years. Its not banter and most who chant it are aware of the racist conatations involved.

It reminded me of him doing the half time draw.

And Tonk v Huddersfield.

Seeing a black person in a football context and hearing a song about a black footballer reminded you of the last time you saw that black footballer?

sw50sw8sw578.gif

Was always led to believe the Oooh Roger Palmer chant was related to the way he ghosted into the penalty area.

That said singing it at any random black person you see might imply that you're suggesting that all black people look the same. I'm hoping that it's a miniscule minority that thinks this way, however if this is your point of view then please don't sit near me at games

Edited by Tommy_Fent

Guest Scratch2000uk

Those who are overly concerned should ask the people singing it if they are racists and maybe report it to the stewards or police?, Although i doubt anyone would be arrested for singing a blatant racist chant like "Ooooh Roger Palmer".

I've never been at a Latics match where "Oooh Roger Palmer" was chanted and there wasn't a black player/steward/lino in front of us. I'm glad I'm not the only one that was a little unsettled by this. I'm not saying it's malicious, maybe just ignorant.

Roger was a great player, why don't we just sing his chant alongside "Andy Ritchie's Magic" as a tribute to former players?

Any excuse to try and make Oldham more racist than it's already renowned for, utterly pointless.

I'm not sure why any of us would actually want to do that? My more positive view is that by spreading awareness of such issues within our own fanbase, it actually makes Oldham look less ignorant and less racist.

Guest Scratch2000uk

Why did it make you smile?

Why sing it in the first place?

I suppose if it is sung in a series of historical songs about players, that would be understandable - but as a stand-alone chant when a black guy walks past? That's racist.

I thought of the chant in terms as an historical appreciation of one of our legends, but where do you draw the line? there's probably a black player, person at every game. i suppose we should just refrain from singing it, Just in case there's some misunderstanding.

Cringe indeed.