North Stand Construction Thread

This thread is dangerously positive for OWTB... I'm not going to be the one to change that though.

I was walking on Broadway the other day and got my first view of the stand since it's gone up. I tried to continue my conversation but it was strangely weird seeing something on that side of the ground that isn't a pile of rubble for once. I'd hope the club focus on getting people sat in the stand as soon as possible, they can get the gym/shops/offices done after that.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think what LL was saying that having 4 distinct and different stands, as opposed to a bowl-like structure is better, and I'd be inclined to agree with him.

Yes, with the rise of the Bowl we might actually look a bit special of we manage to keep 4 distinctive stands going in the next 10 years. One of the few grounds to be developed rather than abandoned or rebuilt. Maybe more by lack of luck than judgement, but still...

This thread is dangerously positive for OWTB... I'm not going to be the one to change that though.

I was walking on Broadway the other day and got my first view of the stand since it's gone up. I tried to continue my conversation but it was strangely weird seeing something on that side of the ground that isn't a pile of rubble for once. I'd hope the club focus on getting people sat in the stand as soon as possible, they can get the gym/shops/offices done after that.

I agree, getting the fans in that stand and the supporters bar up and running could easily put a thousand on the gate.

The club has to take advantage of the facilities and along with a decent squad of players for next season a four sided ground could make a huge difference to our immediate future.

I was walking on Broadway the other day and got my first view of the stand since it's gone up. I tried to continue my conversation but it was strangely weird seeing something on that side of the ground that isn't a pile of rubble for once.

I think I watched the stand more than the game vs. Brentford.

I just couldn't stop looking at it. Be it amazement or that I never thought it would happen or anything. The guys at work are sick of me going on about it but I have such pride that we've got a new stand. They are united fans so it means toss all to them and you would need to add another 0 to the capacity for it to mean anything to a club their size, still doesn't stop me wanting to shout about it.

"Pride in Oldham"?

Eeesh. Back to my cornflakes.

I think what LL was saying that having 4 distinct and different stands, as opposed to a bowl-like structure is better, and I'd be inclined to agree with him.

Agreed, I meant that in a roundabout way.

Matt Chambers tweet this morning shows the slope on the pitch in relation to the new stand. Does this mean that they'll be less rows of seats at the Chaddy End to compensate?

The stand will be flat and square, surely. Nowt they can do about the slope on the pitch unless they dig it up and flatten it.

The stand will be flat and square, surely. Nowt they can do about the slope on the pitch unless they dig it up and flatten it.

Think that's what will happen whenever a new Chaddy is built.... There will be quite a drop from the end of the new stand and the Chaddy as the pitch slopes about 5ft from the halfway line I believe.

Do we know to what extent the slope affects the acoustics of each stand?

The slope pre-plastic was 6ft. It was halved when the plastic went down and has remained at 3ft since the grass went back down.

The acoustics make voices seem higher-pitched at the top of the slope. :wink:

The slope pre-plastic was 6ft. It was halved when the plastic went down and has remained at 3ft since the grass went back down.

The acoustics make voices seem higher-pitched at the top of the slope. :wink:

Louis Armstrong's at the bottom, Leona Lewis at the top.

The more I see the more I like,

Popped over to have a look at the stand from that very spot this afternoon only to find a parking ticket stuck to the windscreen on my return.

Didn't realise Furtherwood rd was for permit holders only....the crafty bastard must have watched me get out of my car I was only in the ground a few minutes.

£70 bloody quid......it's a good job he was gone when I came out!!

Popped over to have a look at the stand from that very spot this afternoon only to find a parking ticket stuck to the windscreen on my return.

Didn't realise Furtherwood rd was for permit holders only....the crafty bastard must have watched me get out of my car I was only in the ground a few minutes.

£70 bloody quid......it's a good job he was gone when I came out!!

The great news for you is that if it's not clearly signed you can show this and get the ticket cancelled. The bad news is that it's generally frowned upon to assault people enforcing the law.

Archived