North Stand Construction Thread

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Worrying in the sense that no one seems to be even trying to reassure punters who in good faith laid down hard earned cash.

The club don't seem to understand that their failure to provide what they took money for could be construed as breach of contract,a little more reassurance or at least some kind of update would probably go a long way! I know that the club have pressed the executive lounge and box into service but it's not what was paid for and falls a long way short.

It's beyond the clubs control, well maybe, but the situation is rapidly getting beyond a joke and a little light at the end of the tunnel could be daylight or it could be a train.A little over dramatic perhaps but the experience is rapidly souring and I'm becoming very disillusioned about it all.

These things can happen, it's not ideal but we have a new stand which is much better than I imagined.

The only negative for me is that I feel the initial impact it would have had on the first home game of the season has been lost!

Absolutely. And nothing ever goes to plan with these projects. Much as we'd like to imagine we're totally tinpot in the 'new stand completion stakes', we're actually only pretty bog standard in this respect.

Although construction has been leisurely to say the least, there have been no major stoppages (see Northampton Town!) and it has to be said that the overall effect of the new North Stand is far superior to it's component parts.

Credit has to go to the architects for conceiving a structure which, through the rake of the seating, the airiness of the design and the understated curvature of the roof, manages to impose a gravitas far exceeding that which the modest seating capacity would warrant. In this respect, I believe the architects have managed to perfect a theme already incorporated in their designs at Fleetwood and Preston. It appears that Mr. Corney should also take some credit for appreciating the need to get the details just right and for possibly spending a little bit more money than necessary to fine-hone the aesthetics. I'm sure a cheaper version would have been available to him with a few less bays and no discrete logos on the stand side panels etc.

The Chaddy End, that revered epitome of a covered terrace, now finds itself (through no fault of it's own) fiercely at odds with, and antagonistic to it's fancy neighbour - roof all hunkered down in contrast to the airy cloister of the North Stand. Perhaps any future improvements to the ground could include a re-angling of the Chaddy roof (with a small second tier of seating, perhaps?) and, of course, a sympathetic preservation / restoration of the totally unique Main stand.

The lack of updates from the club to people who have spent a lot of money for services not being received is worrying to say the least.As a member of the 100 club I was promised an invite to a "meet the manager" evening on 10 September in the new Broadway suite only to now be reading about a Trust event at the Railway in Royton "meet the manager" on the very same date, no notification from the club on the subject having been received. I suppose that now they have the money...........

Maybe your letter hasn't arrived yet.

Absolutely. And nothing ever goes to plan with these projects. Much as we'd like to imagine we're totally tinpot in the 'new stand completion stakes', we're actually only pretty bog standard in this respect.

Although construction has been leisurely to say the least, there have been no major stoppages (see Northampton Town!) and it has to be said that the overall effect of the new North Stand is far superior to it's component parts.

Credit has to go to the architects for conceiving a structure which, through the rake of the seating, the airiness of the design and the understated curvature of the roof, manages to impose a gravitas far exceeding that which the modest seating capacity would warrant. In this respect, I believe the architects have managed to perfect a theme already incorporated in their designs at Fleetwood and Preston. It appears that Mr. Corney should also take some credit for appreciating the need to get the details just right and for possibly spending a little bit more money than necessary to fine-hone the aesthetics. I'm sure a cheaper version would have been available to him with a few less bays and no discrete logos on the stand side panels etc.

The Chaddy End, that revered epitome of a covered terrace, now finds itself (through no fault of it's own) fiercely at odds with, and antagonistic to it's fancy neighbour - roof all hunkered down in contrast to the airy cloister of the North Stand. Perhaps any future improvements to the ground could include a re-angling of the Chaddy roof (with a small second tier of seating, perhaps?) and, of course, a sympathetic preservation / restoration of the totally unique Main stand.

Have you seen Bristols progress on their new Stand? Since I was last there the only stand remaining is the one I sat in and thats less than 12 months ago, of the other three they are 2/3rds complete, with the old Main Stand flattened ready for construction as well, its fine trawling out excuse after excuse and asking for patience but this really is taking the biscuit, add to the fact fans are being forced to sit in stands and seats they dont want to with poor service and facilities and its no wonder people start feeling resentful.

Two years ago when the build first started we where treated to live updates, a time lapse video and promises of something to be proud of, the way the stand is being done is an embarrassment, tickets sold in good faith, test event dates come and go, its a joke and as a season ticket holder in there I have received not one direct communication from the club. They have my money for now so they can do as they please but what effect does the shambolic way this club is run have on the overall business?

Conditions of Issue: Ground Redevelopment and supporter relocation: 9 The club reserve the right to relocate season ticket holders to other areas of the stadium without any refund of season ticket price.

Not so stupid after all!

Can the new North Stand just become the North Stand before we actually get to sit in it?

I'm guessing it wont be Electricity North West now :grin:

That would be disgusting if they was, if they offer we should refuse, surely they must be ample other sponsors, i personally would be shocked if they were the new sponsors to the new stand, i did not know they was looking for a sponsor for the new stand i have not seen the club plug it anywhere!

That would be disgusting if they was, if they offer we should refuse, surely they must be ample other sponsors, i personally would be shocked if they were the new sponsors to the new stand, i did not know they was looking for a sponsor for the new stand i have not seen the club plug it anywhere!

It never was going to be them, first class humour from GOC.

You are right though, not much advertsied, but then i can't recall other clubs advertsing either.

I would guess they would wait till it was open, so to

ensure posotive publicity for whoever eventually sponsors it.

I have no idea watt you are on about but maybe I'm on my ohm there.

That just might generate some highly charged debate that will see resistance to both sides of the argument. I hope everyone has the capacity to store the information.

The fact he's used 'refuse' 'ample' , 'shocked' and 'plugged' suggests it was another attempt at subtle humour?

Yep. Whooshed. Doffs cap Mr JAgger.I think i was half asleep, so that was a good waty to Start Me Up with a Jumpin Jack Flash.

Archived