North Stand Construction Thread

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe they would (I'm sure some would disagree) but the point is that they don't firstly identify as from Oldham.

That's fine if you've got parent/s that support Oldham, but if you're a child from Oldham whose parent/s don't go to watch football then where they identify themselves from is far more relevant, I'd say. As is who your mates support, which is why we'll see more and more lads supporting Oldham and City, rather than either or.

Of course how Latics do in the league has the most bearing on the attendances, I just reckon that, with some exceptions, the more you consider yourself to be from an area, the more likely you're going to support the team which plays there. The more that Manchester sucks in the towns nearby, the lower the potential crowds will be at their clubs.

Or people identify themselves as Manchester because when you say Rochdale/Oldham/Ashton or wherever most people ask where? and you get tired of explaining where it is after a while.

You could probably count on your hands the number of people who were born in Oldham but support United/City due to identifying themselves as from Manchester rather than Oldham.

As you say, how the team performs has more of an effect on attendances rather than whether people say they are from Oldham or Manchester.

Or people identify themselves as Manchester because when you say Rochdale/Oldham/Ashton or wherever most people ask where? and you get tired of explaining where it is after a .

If they don't know know where Oldham is they are not worth speaking to.

Or people identify themselves as Manchester because when you say Rochdale/Oldham/Ashton or wherever most people ask where? and you get tired of explaining where it is after a while.

You could probably count on your hands the number of people who were born in Oldham but support United/City due to identifying themselves as from Manchester rather than Oldham.

As you say, how the team performs has more of an effect on attendances rather than whether people say they are from Oldham or Manchester.

When the team performed well regularly back in the glory days, Latics became nearly everyone's second Club, and there was no need to explain Oldham's location.

...although the Berties couldn't fill it last night against The Old Lady, last seasons runners up no less.

Yes they struggle to sell out for the CL games, they did the same for Real and Bayern I believe. But they were selling out most PL games last season (even if some of the seats were empty).

Hence they are growing.

I don't see what difference that makes.

My kids spend far more time in Manchester City Centre than Oldham Town Centre.

As did I.

My son lives in his Oldham kit and even my daughter who hates football answers "Oldham" rather than "nobody" when asked who she supports.

You could even argue, with Manchester being so much more accessible nowadays, kids - especially groups of young lads - might even place extra emphasis on the fact they're from Oldham whether in a football sense or otherwise...

SC always harping on about having the Manchester clubs on our doorstep is just another one of the clubs Jedi mind tricks - alongside spending money on better players being "baaaaad!".

It was much easier & cheaper to go to United or City last time we got crowds this poor and no doubt it was the time before & the time before that yet there's always been a huge increase as soon as we've had a bit of success.

I don't see why that would change.

His argument doesn't work if you use an oldham supporting kid, but I remember being at School in the early 90's and their were quite a few kids who were adamant they were from Manchester as they saw it as being cooler than Oldham. That was before Manchester became what it is today.

Yes they struggle to sell out for the CL games, they did the same for Real and Bayern I believe. But they were selling out most PL games last season (even if some of the seats were empty).

Hence they are growing.

And even with 5,000 empty seats, that Juve game is still the 3rd biggest crowd that City have ever had in that ground.

Archived