Salford City FC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26775674

Ryan Giggs and four former Manchester United team-mates have agreed a deal to purchase non-leagueSalford City.

Giggs, in his 24th season as a player at Old Trafford, is joined in the venture by the Neville brothers, Gary and Phil, Paul Scholes and Nicky Butt.

United player-coach Giggs, 40, said: "We want to use our football experience and knowledge to nurture young talent."

Continue reading the main story

We know it will be tough but we have some very exciting plans

Paul ScholesFormer Manchester United midfielder

Subject to Football Association and Northern Premier League approval, the deal will be completed in the summer.

Gary Neville, who had his first United trial in Salford, said: "Salford City represents those early years, the commitment, hunger, enthusiasm, desire and spirit of football and I am very excited about this venture."

The former England defender added on Twitter: "For clarity, [there will be] no name change, no ground change and management and committee as before!"

His younger brother Phil, now United's first-team coach, added: "It is important to safeguard the hard work that is done in the lower leagues and it is going to be exciting to be able to feed our experience into the young players."

Giggs, who made his 961st appearance for United in the 3-0 victory over Olympiakos on 19 March, is the only one still playing of the six United youth-team graduates who have come to be known as the Class of '92.

Along with former England captain David Beckham, Giggs, Scholes, Butt and the Neville brothers went on to perform in one of the most successful periods in the club's history, having made their senior debuts in the early 1990s.

Under former manager Sir Alex Ferguson, United won 13 league titles, two Champions League crowns, four FA Cups and four League Cups with at least one of those six graduates in his squad.

Scholes, who was born in Salford, said: "We know it will be tough but we will be committed to this from the start and have some very exciting plans going forward."

Salford are 11th in the Northern Premier League Division One North, the eighth tier of English league football.

Chairman Karen Baird said the agreement would give the club "a very bright future".

Very very very interesting.

Guest Laticswaj

Nice to know your true colours Scholesey. Red and always will be.

Stop coming and pretending you are an Oldham fan.

You have put your money where your mouth is.

Nice to know your true colours Scholesey. Red and always will be.

Stop coming and pretending you are an Oldham fan.

You have put your money where your mouth is.

PRICK

Take part in an investment/hobby with your mates, that in reality aint gonna cost you that much and still allows you the coaching/family time you crave, or invest millions into Oldham where he'd have to be heavily involved, more than likely lose a load of cash and lose his cherished family time.

Wind it in.

I think its great really. Its them giving back to their roots they came from and its should be applauded. No stupid ambitious plans, just backing & support for a lower league club and young British talent.

Good luck to them!

I also think some of our fans need to come to terms with the fact that Scholes is a red. He played for them for how long, he won how much with them, got paid how much from them, and you expect him not to like them ? That is just crazy talk :P

Edited by oafc0000

In May 2009, Scholes said in the Telegraph:

"People automatically think I'm an Oldham fan, but I have always been United. My dad took me to a few games, but it was always really hard to get tickets for Old Trafford. He was an Oldham fan so, from the age of nine or ten, he started to take me to Boundary Park because we could get in! “

In 2010, Alan Hardy said in the Daily Mail:

"He's been coming to Boundary Park on a regular basis for a number of years. He knows he's always welcome and can have a cup of tea in the boardroom whenever he's here, but he tends to decline that invitation. He likes to stay in the background; he's not one for the limelight and we respect that. He's quite happy with his boys, sitting in the stand behind the goal, in a pair of jeans and a baseball cap.”

When the manager’s job at Boundary Park was vacant in February 2013, Simon Corney said “If Paul Scholes was to so much as express a desire to come here, it would refresh the whole club and of course I would be interested”.

I watched The Class Of '92 this week, sorta half expecting me to hate it, and watch it with some kind of masochistic rubber-necking-at-a-car-crash type face. You know what, I really loved it. When it boiled down to it, they were 5 or 6 very talented mates. It was a nice, albeit forced tie-in, to the music of the time (James, Roses, Charlatans etc.) but it just showed what can be achieved when you invest, really invest in a solid youth system. Yes, United spent eye-wateringly amounts of money on players like Ferdinand, Cole, Yorke, Rooney and more to become a super power in world football but it was this group that were the backbone of it all. And I still find it utterly amazing that Giggs still performs to the highest level at his age.

Sorry, I'm probably making anyone that reads this vomit all over their keyboard right now. But sometimes you have to see through the fuggy vitriol. And fair play to them, wanting to put something back into their own community. If you found yourself ridiculously wealthy after a successful career you'd do the same.

You should take your own advice.

A lad openly abuses Paul Scholes, I make a valid point in reply, he is a prick,

And you should take your own advice too, you offer all sorts of opinions...but in reality they're all boring, and as insignificant as the next man... go and watch Stockport lad...

this... no need for that sort of talk really...

Haven't you got a kid to look after?? bore off to the park lad and let us fans who actually go discuss any issues.

A lad openly abuses Paul Scholes, I make a valid point in reply, he is a prick,

And you should take your own advice too, you offer all sorts of opinions...but in reality they're all boring, and as insignificant as the next man... go and watch Stockport lad...

Haven't you got a kid to look after?? bore off to the park lad and let us fans who actually go discuss any issues.

I suppose that's us two told then....

In May 2009, Scholes said in the Telegraph:

"People automatically think I'm an Oldham fan, but I have always been United. My dad took me to a few games, but it was always really hard to get tickets for Old Trafford. He was an Oldham fan so, from the age of nine or ten, he started to take me to Boundary Park because we could get in!

I'm sure you've got this and a paragraph about the acoustics in the RRE copied and ready to be pasted at any given opportunity