Pistorious

I've only read bits and pieces and thought he'd be banged to rights. His reaction when asked to look at this pictures of his missus following the shooting (they played the audio on the 10 o'clock news last night) seemed pretty harrowing and genuine though.

I'm in two minds, as longtimeblue says, it does look bang to rights but also agree that the defence might work. Looks like his mum was a bit of a mentler and worried about intrusions (fnarr fnarr) and South Africa is a bit of a dangerous place, the bloke doesn't have any legs so can see that there may be a fair bit of paranoia leading to an accident like this. I can also see that as an elite athlete he is pretty cocksure of himself and pardon the phrase on a hair trigger or as a tweet that has just come in:

#OscarPistorius Nel hammering home the point that he sees the runner as an egocentric, selfish, moody man who cares only for himself

Isn't that all sports people though? You have to be pretty driven and self centred to put yourself in the, again pardon the phrase, the firing line.

But I can also see that he could be a loon who likes guns, is a bit snappy and snapped that night after a row, got the red mist and shot her in a rage. We've all done it, had a special night planned, something happens that leads to an exchange of views, which leads to one of the couple choosing that moment to either dredge something from the past up or tackle another unrelated issue which then leads to a bit of a row starting which then, if one or the other doesn't back down can become a proper humdinger. And if there are guns handy and one of the couple is a bit highly strung......

I hope it was as Oscar says, a terrible misunderstanding. Her family have suffered a terrible loss, after seeing him in the trial, if Oscar is proven guilty or not guilty I think his family will have a loss soon either way. How could you live with yourself knowing you'd shot your missus?

It is all just a terrible shame.

I can't get past the fundamental point that if I heard a noise from the bathroom in the middle of the night, irrespective of where you live the first thought has to be that your partner is in there.

You would at least look to see if she was next to you before going and getting your gun and blasting the door down.

The natural human reaction is to protect yourself and your loved ones, you'd make sure they were OK first.

Guilty.

I can't get past the fundamental point that if I heard a noise from the bathroom in the middle of the night, irrespective of where you live the first thought has to be that your partner is in there.

You would at least look to see if she was next to you before going and getting your gun and blasting the door down.

The natural human reaction is to protect yourself and your loved ones, you'd make sure they were OK first.

Guilty.

This is exactly my thinking and, in terms of his defence, even if you genuinely thought there was an intruder in the bathroom, how can you justify firing repeatedly through a closed door?

I'm in two minds, as longtimeblue says, it does look bang to rights but also agree that the defence might work. Looks like his mum was a bit of a mentler and worried about intrusions (fnarr fnarr) and South Africa is a bit of a dangerous place, the bloke doesn't have any legs so can see that there may be a fair bit of paranoia leading to an accident like this. I can also see that as an elite athlete he is pretty cocksure of himself and pardon the phrase on a hair trigger or as a tweet that has just come in:

Alex Crawford@AlexCrawfordSky 2m

#OscarPistorius Nel hammering home the point that he sees the runner as an egocentric, selfish, moody man who cares only for himself

Isn't that all sports people though? You have to be pretty driven and self centred to put yourself in the, again pardon the phrase, the firing line.

But I can also see that he could be a loon who likes guns, is a bit snappy and snapped that night after a row, got the red mist and shot her in a rage. We've all done it, had a special night planned, something happens that leads to an exchange of views, which leads to one of the couple choosing that moment to either dredge something from the past up or tackle another unrelated issue which then leads to a bit of a row starting which then, if one or the other doesn't back down can become a proper humdinger. And if there are guns handy and one of the couple is a bit highly strung......

I hope it was as Oscar says, a terrible misunderstanding. Her family have suffered a terrible loss, after seeing him in the trial, if Oscar is proven guilty or not guilty I think his family will have a loss soon either way. How could you live with yourself knowing you'd shot your missus?

It is all just a terrible shame.

That's why I keep my gun on top of a tall wardrobe

• 2 weeks later...

I had a lot of admiration for him when I first saw him in the Olympics however, that fell by the wayside when he lost one of his races and said the other chaps' paddles were illegal, nothing like being gracious in defeat...head case all day long. If SA is such a dangerous place to be living in, given his status there I'd have thought he'd have taken the necessary steps to up his security within his grounds- alarms, CCTV etc

Is anybody following this case? The lawyer prosecuting Oscar Pistorious is brutal.

Not closely.......I do find his witness box bleating somewhat embarrassing and strange. And his choice of forensic officer odd as he appears to have as much, in depth knowledge of forensics as I have of a woman's mind.

If I'm reading this correctly, he is being charged with the sole charge of murder and the decision rests with the judge and the assistance of two advisors. If he is found not guilty, then he goes through it all again but on a lesser charge.

I think he's guilty and from what I've heard and read and talking to a South African colleague, his defence has been shambolic.

• 4 months later...