OWTB - What's it worth?

29 minutes ago, Stevie_J said:

Thanks again for all donations.  Since people have generously donated, it feels only right to be open about the fact, after payment of the most recent invoice, we have just over one month's worth of fees in the pot.

Frankly, I'm not really sure what the answer is in terms of making this sustainable.

Auction a night with Rigsby. No holds barred. That'll see us through the next 5 years

Prediction league: "The other half of the pot, minus any fees, will be split equally as donations to PlayerShare and Dr Kershaw's Hospice."

Maybe in future this half could go to OWTB fees. After all, no OWTB, no OWTB prediction league?

22 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

Prediction league: "The other half of the pot, minus any fees, will be split equally as donations to PlayerShare and Dr Kershaw's Hospice."

Maybe in future this half could go to OWTB fees. After all, no OWTB, no OWTB prediction league?

Still think a small fee(1p per post) would e reasonable .Make people think twice before posting and make a handsome profit for Playershare and Kershaws.

2 hours ago, Stevie_J said:

Thanks again for all donations.  Since people have generously donated, it feels only right to be open about the fact, after payment of the most recent invoice, we have just over one month's worth of fees in the pot.

Frankly, I'm not really sure what the answer is in terms of making this sustainable.

Sorry if I'm being dense here. But does that mean that the donations are not quite cutting it to help keep the site going? Or is it more that because there's a month in the kitty it works at current usage but big news or lots of (unnecessary) threads open and it looks risky for the future?

A bit of both... if we get a few donations in the next couple of weeks the pot may be topped up enough to keep going. If not, we pay next months bill and then by March we're looking at an empty kitting and will not have enough to pay the bills.  Previously we've either got lucky with incoming donations in time or Steve/Matt have covered the difference until we do.

At this point I don't honestly know what will come of March - it may be that we cut back significantly on functionality / boards in the hope that dramatically reduces costs. Or it may be that we have to accept defeat. 

25 minutes ago, Ackey said:

A bit of both... if we get a few donations in the next couple of weeks the pot may be topped up enough to keep going. If not, we pay next months bill and then by March we're looking at an empty kitting and will not have enough to pay the bills.  Previously we've either got lucky with incoming donations in time or Steve/Matt have covered the difference until we do.

At this point I don't honestly know what will come of March - it may be that we cut back significantly on functionality / boards in the hope that dramatically reduces costs. Or it may be that we have to accept defeat. 

Does it cost more to have all the other forums? I sporadically read through them, and it is good to have more options, but if it costs less then get rid of them and just keep the Latics one? This is the main reason we all visit the site and I don’t think you’d get any complaints if it meant OWTB could keep running.

I have no idea what it costs to run this site month by month, it must vary, but you may have a mean figure which is a decent guide.

If all the monthly contributors were to double there direct debit would that ensure a smooth passage? I'm not saying this will happen as I can only speak for myself about this course of action, it would be a shame for this to go under as it happens to be the source of decent information as well as humour. 

5 hours ago, oafcmetty said:

I did consider this at the start of the season but wasn't keen to down that route unless absolutely necessary. It may have to be reconsidered next season, if we're still around. 

Ballpark, we're somewhere between £100-£150/month currently. Unfortunately though, it will almost certainly continue to increase, as it has done so far. 

I'm not sure what the monthly donations come to. I will check when I have chance. Unfortunately I've not been able to resolve issues with new regular monthly payments. 

40 minutes ago, latics22 said:

Charge a £1 a month 

You don't have to go down the subscription route, there is a button on here which lets you make a donation. There must be 100 people who use this site fairly regularly, if they were to donate £1 a month (I know there may be some who couldn't afford that) it isn't hard to work out the maths. There are some who donate a little more every month, then we are not too far away from running break even. 

On 1/12/2018 at 7:02 PM, daniel said:

Does it cost more to have all the other forums? I sporadically read through them, and it is good to have more options, but if it costs less then get rid of them and just keep the Latics one? This is the main reason we all visit the site and I don’t think you’d get any complaints if it meant OWTB could keep running.

In theory it's not that much and it helps keep the noise down in the 'main' board - which in turn should help too, as less clicks is less costs.  But, we've never tested it any other way - so it could be one of those things we have to give a go.

As above from Steve, thanks to those who have contributed and/or continue to do so. 

I really would hate to see this site down, I may not post much content but id say I come on this site around 10 times a day, we should try and think of a method to make the site sustainable in the long term, be that through subscription based, or money from the prediction league. Just keep us all informed and i am sure you will see more donations coming through 

Agree with the above post, keep bringing this (thread) to the attention of us every now and then, some might decide to set up couple of quid a month, some might make one off payments but I’m sure we’ll take notice. 

Student currently so not much, but do appreciate the work you guys do on the site... i’ve just thrown a couple of coppers in aswell ??

Edited by MAC0AFC