Patrick Berger!

A bit of a stupid move by the club 'we've nearly signed Berger......no wait O'neil has just told us where to get off' . What was the point in that?

Would have been better if they'd just said a bid for Berger on loan was rejected after it had been rejected, rather than building people's hopes up.

Bah.

Suppose Allott will have to do.

*sigh* <_<

LOL! Great marketing by the club getting you all logged in and then sending out subliminal messages for you to buy driving lessons, holiday and a full Latics home kits for the kid on the corner who sometimes washes your car!

:D

A bit of a stupid move by the club 'we've nearly signed Berger......no wait O'neil has just told us where to get off' . What was the point in that?

Disagree with that footy. I think the fact that the club are going for that calibre of player shows their ambition and they IMO are definately entitled to be excited to tell the fans what is going on.

U'd be a bit miffed if it was Guy Branston or Rob Scott or a similar player they were pushing a deal for!!

Disagree with that footy. I think the fact that the club are going for that calibre of player shows their ambition and they IMO are definately entitled to be excited to tell the fans what is going on.

U'd be a bit miffed if it was Guy Branston or Rob Scott or a similar player they were pushing a deal for!!

I'd have preferred 'we tried to sign Berger today but O'neill told us where to get off' . IMO yes it shows ambition, but we were all told info we didn't really need to know. I would prefer to find out after the event so that people aren't given a false hope.

Agree completely. If we failed so what can't change it but to go public yet again is pure spin to support the quality statement. Very disapointed with PR. Surely you can discuss a deal, agree a deal , sign a deal then anounce a discussion- deal- signing delayed to build up anticipation but only delayed a couple of hours in the safety you got it right. Very poor.

I think criticizing this approach is only because it was a high profile signing. If the Mark Allot deal doesn't come off will you be as critical of the PR?

You wouldnt be as dissapointed of course, but thats the point the club bit it up as it was a high profile potential signing and they knew the consequences - if they didnt then they should get someone into the PR department who has a brain.

Right now Latics fans are feeling dissapointed about this - not a smart move at all by the club.

The club has time and time again said they wont discuss whom they are trying to sign for obvious reasons and the only time they do officially post it is when a deal ahs been done and the sign somebody soon post is quickly folowed up by we have signed them. That is the norm for the club and how they have done things; so everybody had the right to think this deal was all but done by them going public.

The only movement away from the clubs normal route has been when the papers have got hold of it and so they felt they have had to come out with a statement - like Allot, but on this occasion it was a bolt from the blue and right now the club have egg on thier faces and we are disgruntled.

In a word Yes, because the same mistakes as Heffernan are being made.

More of a we aren't looking for rubbish message, for the benefit of ALL including Porter and co.

As for Allott its been handled as you would expect reasonably quietly with nothing further to add at the moment.

Why should this be a major issue though, the fact that Oldham Athletic are sending a message out to sign quality players! in order to either attract attention or keep players here!! Is that not what we all want come the first game of the season.

I don't understand fans who criticise the club for announcing that they are trying to sign quality, whether it comes off or not.

I can see why it's a disappointment, as of course i am very disappointed, but is that not all part and parcel of following the club you love and raising the interest of us the fans. :mmm:

Don't know if anybodys already said it(caus i'm lazy and can't be bothered looking at previous posts),but i think the club knew it was a dead duck when they put it on the OS,as the saying goes'All publicity is good publicity'

Call me cynical, but I don't think we ever stood a chance of brining Berger to BP and the club officials knew it. This was a PR exercise, maybe, to give us, the fans, something to get excited about and to show prospective ST buyers and stay-aways that the club is ambitious.

Cue the screaming headline on the backpage of the 'Chron tomorrow.

*Sorry oafc2004, din't see your post because I was too busy messing around elsewhere*

Edited by murrayzmint

Its called misleading people - in fact it's dishonest, so then it makes you the question the morals and ethics of those who release such stories. The majority of us who did that at work would be sacked for being so dishonest.

I would rather hear the silence as news than some pie int he sky story abotu rumours had it blah blah and at the end of the day day it probably meant they phoned villa and asked is berger free - "NO" end of negotiations.

They hadnt even spoken to the player for gods sake.

You either have a consitence stance on your transfer dealings and stand by what you say or stop stating one thing and then doing another when it suits you - at the end of the day the fans make the club, so dotn treat them like rubbish at every opportunity.

Its called misleading people - in fact it's dishonest, so then it makes you the question the morals and ethics of those who release such stories. The majority of us who did that at work would be sacked for being so dishonest.

I would rather hear the silence as news than some pie int he sky story abotu rumours had it blah blah and at the end of the day day it probably meant they phoned villa and asked is berger free - "NO" end of negotiations.

They hadnt even spoken to the player for gods sake.

You either have a consitence stance on your transfer dealings and stand by what you say or stop stating one thing and then doing another when it suits you - at the end of the day the fans make the club, so dotn treat them like rubbish at every opportunity.

:tongue1: Lighten up Mr,It was good while it lasted..........Now to phone L.A Galaxy :D