• Adam Lallana
  • Raheem Sterling
  • Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain

"Strikers":

• Wayne Rooney
  • Daniel Sturridge
  • Danny Welbeck
  • Rickie Lambert

Welbeck, Henderson and Milner really stand out for me.

That's the thing, I can't think of many I'd put ahead of them no matter how average they are.

Welbeck's not awful, I'd leave him in. Forster's a reserve, not bothered about that. Johnson's been terrible for Liverpool lately and I'd prefer Stones to get into the squad (or even Chambers from Southampton) despite their lack of experience.

That's the thing, I can't think of many I'd put ahead of them no matter how average they are.

Welbeck's not awful, I'd leave him in. Forster's a reserve, not bothered about that. Johnson's been terrible for Liverpool lately and I'd prefer Stones to get into the squad (or even Chambers from Southampton) despite their lack of experience.

I'd have thrown Stones, Chambers and Kane into the squad.

Henderson has had a good season from the limited bits I've watched of the PL.

I don't watch anywhere near enough top flight football to be able to form a view on who should and shouldn't be in the squad but it's good to see we've picked a number of youngsters which I'm pretty sure the spec was when Hodgson came in.

This will be the last tournament for some of the seniors and more newbies can come through then.

Also don't forget in a few years time Swansea B will be playing Exeter in the JPT and so we will definitely win the WC then.

I'm happy with this squad. The defence looks a bit ropey but is probably as good as we've got. The midfield and attacking options look very promising. Roy has picked a young squad but with some good experienced players in there too.

I think the decision to leave Cole at home was the correct one. I don't think there is a big difference in quality between him and Shaw so it is right to go with youth, and indeed a player who has been catching the first team all season. I would have possibly gone with experience if it was a competition to be our first choice left back but to sit on the bench I would always choose youth and I wouldn't worry about having to use him if Baines gets injured.

Cashley has been a candidate for best in the world at his position for a decade and is still at a very good level. Can we afford to leave behind?

He's the only admition from the squad I would question

The rest pretty much pick themselves due to the lack of depth that we have in the national team their are not many credible alternatives.

Generally, I am happy with this squad apart from possibly 3 choices.

Johnson scares me as a defender, he's ok going forward but every time I've seen him lose the ball in an attacking position, he doesn't bust a gut to get back. I would have gone for Stones or Flanagan.

Huddlestone for me instead of Henderson.

And the last and most controversial, Carrick instead of Lampard and that is based purely as cover for Gerrard. There are no other defensive midfield players in the squad (unless you count Jones) and plenty of attacking options and also it's a tall ask to play Gerrard in that heat for at least 3 games of 90 minutes.

Henderson is better than Huddlestone. In fact, Henderson has improved dramatically this season.

I could well see Hodgson adopting the Liverpool formation and playing Gerrard in the half back role. (Helloooooooooooo Football Manager 2014.)

Henderson is better than Huddlestone. In fact, Henderson has improved dramatically this season.

I could well see Hodgson adopting the Liverpool formation and playing Gerrard in the half back role. (Helloooooooooooo Football Manager 2014.)

Nope, I see a high energy grafter in Henderson that looks good because of the quality of his team-mates.

We'd be stupid to play the Liverpool way in the heat out there.....we need players who are comfortable on the ball otherwise teams will just let us run ourselves into the ground.

Don't you mean quarter-back?

I think he's got it more or less right.

I'd have had Ruddy in. But it's not the end of the world that he isn't.

Carrick's game might be well suited to the conditions, but has hardly had a season that justifies inclusion.

We were never going to seriously challenge in South America, so blooding the younger players makes sense to me and fingers crossed they can develop over the next four years and we can be something of a force then.

I think he's got it more or less right.

I'd have had Ruddy in. But it's not the end of the world that he isn't.

Carrick's game might be well suited to the conditions, but has hardly had a season that justifies inclusion.

We were never going to seriously challenge in South America, so blooding the younger players makes sense to me and fingers crossed they can develop over the next four years and we can be something of a force then.

No argument with the last bit, but as my point was a choice of a senior player it's Carrick over Lamp'ead. For me, Carrick when called upon would be better suited.

L8NeQix.png

Milner is so versatile he's let Phil Jones borrow his body!!

I'd question the selection of Forster, Johnson, Smalling, Henderson, Milner and Welbeck. Although, when I try to think of decent alternatives, there's not exactly an abundance.

First three I completely agree. Milner I think is massively underrated, he's been brilliant this year for City and offers much more than most in that midfield. Wellbeck is a reasonably good striker. At most teams he would stand out more than he does. He's not a world beater but then the alternates behind him are not either. He's fast and that, cliched as it is, is valuable.

Lampard's been our best player at most of the tournaments since 2004, he's probably the only big player of the current crop who hasn't flopped at a big tournament. His inclusion is a no brainer.

I have to disagree about Lamp'ead being our best tournament player but he is consistent. I can't see where he will fit in.......he's not a defensive midfielder to replace Gerrard and he is behind, in my opinion, the likes of Wiltshire, Ox, Lallana and Sterling for an attacking midfield spot. And if graft is needed, then Henderson and Milner would be the likely candidates.