Latics Make Cash Bid for Serie B Striker!

Guest sheridans_world
If we're willing to swap Porter for this lad we're mental... he's scored almost no goals and played almost no games... six starts for Wolves and 1 in Italy... what's that compared to Porters 20+ goals!?!

Personally, i wouldnt be paying cash for him. Not with the record he has...

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Since when does rubbish = lying? not in my vocabulary; if i thought they were lying I would say so.

Rubbish is nonsense/worthless information - which is what yesterdays story was about Berger.

The reason i state that is why would the official site come out with a story about Berger if the deal was not imminent?

Previous experience in the clubs offcial communications has been to only come out with something when it was an imminent deal - which is how they do it, you get the first message up of new signinng imminent and then the who it is.

So why was their tried and trusted route not followed on this occasion? Why come out with something which was so far away from a deal it wasnt even worth mentioning! They had spoke to the club - which can by a 5 second phonecall or it can be a few hours meeting - had they spoken to the player - would he even want to drop down to League 1?

There would have been so many things to sort out before it shoudl have come out on the official site - they never got past the first hurdle did they; so why change their previous system of transsfer information.

Hey like the majority of people i was excited by the news and given the precedent set by the club I felt the deal would have been a hell of a lot nearer than it was. If they had said they coudlnt agree a deal with the player then fine at least they had the intial deal and permission from the club - but they hadn't even got that had they, so again why the hell woudl you come out with such a statement other than as a PR excercise.

It was all over the news and radio and taken from the official site - it was bound to get picked up nationally; so unless you were sure of a deal then why would state it officially as it was bound to cause headlines - which may have been the whole purpose. ITs not even like they had to respond to any press talk aobut it as it was a bolt from the blue.

So IMHO it was not worth posting on the offiical site as it was so far away from a deal as us signing Wayne Rooney.

Going back to the point of Craig Davies, is why again have they felt the need to post this once more unless its a done deal? Where have we found the cash to suddenly pay for transfers? Two fair questions woudlnt you have thought?

I would rather they said nothing than make speculative announcements which give the supporters the wrong impression on deals done for players. I don't pretend to know about any inner workings of the club or know a friend of a friend of friend of the plumber that was fixing Shez' faulty plumbing and overheard blah blah.

I am just a bitter old git after yesterdays brief excitement :cry:

Least Wolfy has signed up now :grin:

Personally, i wouldnt be paying cash for him. Not with the record he has...

To me, this guy looks exactly the type of player we should be paying cash for... he is young, has been wanted by bigger clubs than us, is a full international... and although not prolific, has shown enough potential to show he will turn into a cracking player... especially at our level

He looked bang on against us - big, powerful, and banged in two goals - showing at our level, he looks a damn good striker...

We are not a prem team matey! This guy looks spot on for us to shell out a few thou for .... defo worth £50k - £100k IMO....

IF we sign him my Wolves supporting mate thought Davies was class and in some games was te only decent WOlves player.

Though this is the same fella that said Leon Clark was a donkey - so you can make your own mind up about whether his opinion is worth anything

Since when does rubbish = lying? not in my vocabulary; if i thought they were lying I would say so.

Rubbish is nonsense/worthless information - which is what yesterdays story was about Berger.

The reason i state that is why would the official site come out with a story about Berger if the deal was not imminent?

Previous experience in the clubs offcial communications has been to only come out with something when it was an imminent deal - which is how they do it, you get the first message up of new signinng imminent and then the who it is.

Yadda yadda yadda - ramble on.... blah blah blah....

I would rather they said nothing than make speculative announcements which give the supporters the wrong impression on deals done for players. I don't pretend to know about any inner workings of the club or know a friend of a friend of friend of the plumber that was fixing Shez' faulty plumbing and overheard blah blah.

I am just a bitter old git after yesterdays brief excitement :cry:

Least Wolfy has signed up now :grin:

:wacko::sleeping:

There a point in there somewhere methinks???!!

How about we enjoy what the club is telling us, and accept thier quirks - its part of the joy of being an Oldham Fan...

To me, this guy looks exactly the type of player we should be paying cash for... he is young, has been wanted by bigger clubs than us, is a full international... and although not prolific, has shown enough potential to show he will turn into a cracking player... especially at our level

He looked bang on against us - big, powerful, and banged in two goals - showing at our level, he looks a damn good striker...

We are not a prem team matey! This guy looks spot on for us to shell out a few thou for .... defo worth £50k - £100k IMO....

:applause1:

Going back to the point of Craig Davies, is why again have they felt the need to post this once more unless its a done deal? Where have we found the cash to suddenly pay for transfers? Two fair questions woudlnt you have thought?

When did the 3amigo's state there was no money for Shez in the summer. As far as i'm aware, they were saying the opposite and they'd back him within the limits they could afford to keep this club within budgets.

Like i've said a few posts ago. The fee isnt likely to be much and if anything, given his age will probably be more sell on clauses than anything else.

The club also released figures the other day, about 3,100 season tickets sold earning us around £760,000. As well as stating that it was an increase on the same period last season. They also said it was a decent percentage increase moneywise.

Guest sheridans_world

So why hasnt he scored more than 10 goals in his professional career? Which spans a total of 71 Games? Granted he has only started 29, one in three isnt bad, but what about the 42 sub apperances?? No point having a striker if he doesnt score!

Porter is almost a guarantee of one in two, as long as he is playing (now Nobes has sorted his injury should play more, hopefully he will sign)

Those two goals against us were the only ones he scored last season. You know me, i will support any player until they prove me wrong. I hope it comes off but there are too many players out there that call themselves strikers and dont produce the goods.

So why hasnt he scored more than 10 goals in his professional career? Which spans a total of 71 Games? Granted he has only started 29, one in three isnt bad, but what about the 42 sub apperances?? No point having a striker if he doesnt score!

Porter is almost a guarantee of one in two, as long as he is playing (now Nobes has sorted his injury should play more, hopefully he will sign)

Those two goals against us were the only ones he scored last season. You know me, i will support any player until they prove me wrong. I hope it comes off but there are too many players out there that call themselves strikers and dont produce the goods.

Woaaaaw there matey! With this you imply he bis a replacement for porter - lets let the horse bolt first.... This guy was always bvery highly rated, but it looks to me that he took a move to italy and became very unsettled.... not the best situation to play your football...

If a guy who is that young has been capped by wales then there must be something there.... and also, he has not been tested at our level... at oxford as a kid he looked damn good, and scored a few... he hels his own at champ level with wolves, inc scoring 2 against us and looking a handful.... so that to me, tells you he will be a 15 goal plus striker at our level....

He is quick, strong, powerful (and seems to have an arrogant streak which i like in strikers...) .... Add Davies to Porter, Hughes and Wolfy, and that for me is a pretty impresive strikeforce - with 4 totally different options...

Exciting (possible) signing for me! We have to take a couple of gambles mate - thats the nature of winning at our level... remember, Billy Sharp didnt look much kop at Sheff Utd till he dropped down a division!

Meanwhile, Athletic have been thwarted in their bid to bring Aston Villa midfielder Patrik Berger to Boundary Park on loan.

The club reported that their approach had been turned down, but sources at Villa insist no enquiries were received.

Interesting snippet from The Chron.

Did anyone actually see Berger at BP yesterday?

Guest sheridans_world
If a guy who is that young has been capped by wales then there must be something there....

*Points to Right-Back Neal Eardley and runs away...*

Not saying he is replacement for Porter, i am saying that he was playing in League Two with Oxford and only scored 8!!

Interesting snippet from The Chron.

Did anyone actually see Berger at BP yesterday?

Just read that myself, looks like it was just a big publicity stunt. Just to add to the conspiricy theory don't the fishul get money from advertisers the more hits they have, this being the case they must have needed an extra £50 for the Davies bid so they put the Berger story out!

*Points to Right-Back Neal Eardley and runs away...*

Not saying he is replacement for Porter, i am saying that he was playing in League Two with Oxford and only scored 8!!

When he was a bloomin teenager!

:angry:

Get back to you revision and stop arguing! You know i'm right! :wink:

Just read that myself, looks like it was just a big publicity stunt. Just to add to the conspiricy theory don't the fishul get money from advertisers the more hits they have, this being the case they must have needed an extra £50 for the Davies bid so they put the Berger story out!

I think I would believe the Club over The Chron.

I just would like to know the truth though. That's why I asked Ricardo what he knew (clearly nothing) and why I've asked if the rumours that Berger was seen at BP yesterday are true.

Guest sheridans_world

I just would like to know the truth though. That's why I asked Ricardo what he knew (clearly nothing) and why I've asked if the rumours that Berger was seen at BP yesterday are true.

I was just going to say this

'..sources at Villa insist no enquiries were received'

Sadly knowing the Chron, the 'source' is probably the tea lady, or the sandwich lady or the bloke who lives opposite Villa Park...

Wait a sec inspiral - think the article says Villa denied knowledge, just a factual statement.... nothing to do with the chron claiming otherwise.... more like Villa Vs Latics ....

(*gets off his defending the chron high horse*)

The chron wrong, never, read on. Last nights facts. :grin:

More sex please, we’re Oldhamers

A BEDSIDE broadcast featuring an Oldham store will help to stand up claims that Oldham women are the most sexually satisfied in the country.

Mann’s Sleep Shop, in Union Street, was the setting for a BBC film crew when programme makers followed up findings from the British Sex Survey.

Last year it discovered that Oldham women are the most sexually satisfied in the country.

So for the BBC’s “The One Show” reporter Hardip Singh travelled to Oldham and was filmed lying down on the job at Mann’s store for his slot in the programme called the Real Map of Britain.

“The One Show” is presented by Adrian Chiles and Nadia Sawalha, and is expected to feature Oldham on August 21.

There must be an awful lot of battery power involved in making that statistic true :blush:

Unfortunately this show isn't going to show Oldham as a green and pleasant land, more of the usual stereotypes I'm afraid

grrrr

sometimes i think its a mistake for the club to report which player that they are going after as other clubs might go after that certain player too ,and if i am not mistaken the other season latics where after a player and printed it in the official site , only to find out the players agent said he would not becoming to bp ,due to the fact that the club reported it in the press early that they (the club )wanted to sign him ..

It looks like I have to be the one to use all my diplomatic negotiating skills to make sense out of all this. :rolleyes:

The fishal site said Latics had contacted their counterparts about a temporary deal. So let's assume someone at OAFC spoke to someone at AVFC and was given permission to talk to Patrik Berger. AVFC would have said OK and get back to us if you reach ageement with the player about a temporary loan, and you want to proceed to make an enquiry about formalising a loan.

The fishal site went on to say that Latics were locked in talks with PB and his representatives - it didn't say AVFC were involved in those taks. Then the talks failed to reach agreement, so it was the end of the matter. Nobody from OAFC then needed to speak to AVFC, because the matter was closed.

The rarely wrong Chron said "The club reported that their approach had been turned down, but sources at Villa insist no enquiries were received". Reading between the lines, that could mean OAFC's terms put forward during the approach to PB and his representatives had been turned down, and AVFC had not received any enquiry from OAFC to discuss the agreed terms, because terms had not been agreed with the player.

So the Club is correct, Villa is correct and the rarely wrong Chron is correct!

QED. :tongue:

Edited by Diego_Sideburns

Ooooh that would be all so great and true. If only the Official Site hadn't posted the following......

LATICS GO FOR BERGER KING

Posted on: Wed 20 Jun 2007

Managing Director Simon Corney has confirmed that Latics are hopeful of making a loan swoop for Aston Villa's Patrik Berger.

In a move that would certainly be viewed as a massive coup, Boundary Park officials have contacted their Villa Park counterparts about a temporary deal for the 33-year-old.

Latics top brass are currently locked in talks with the Premiership star and his representatives -- the outcome is expected to be known by around 4pm today.

Oldhamathletic.co.uk will bring you all the latest as we have it.

The truth is out there. Possibly, it is as was said earlier - The Chron just asked the wrong Contact at Villa. Let's face it, Doug Ellis would struggle to remember his own name these days. :wink: