The World Cup 2014: Unofficial owtb discussion thread

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to think Motty was the last to know what was happening on the field. Jonathan Pierce is several minutes behind him at his worst. For BBC games, you can get the 5live commentary via the red button.

I can't stand Jonathon Pearce. He sounds like someone doing a bad, very exaggerated impression of a football commentator.

Cashley has experience, which equals brains, which we were desperately short of at both ends of the field. Hindsight. It's coming to something when you yearn for the input of Ashley Cole's brains.

Hindsight my arse, I'd have started him.

I didn't see the game. People were slagging Phil Neville off for saying before the game that Iran will be the best-organised team at the competition.

He wasn't wrong. They were well drilled. If they had any threat up front, they could have pinched three points last night.

I didn't think it was that bad actually. Iran were really disciplined in executing the job they set out to do. Dave Penney would have been proud.

Chris Waddle thinks they'll get a draw against Argentina.

Hmmmm.

Pat Nevin thinks France's second goal didn't go in, despite the replays and technology clearly showing it was a goal.

I believe Clarke Carlisle commented on Ecuador's strength today in that Jackson Martinez can't get in their squad. That is because he is Colombian.

Phil Neville.

Where do they get these guys?

Townsend is awful. Apparently Belgium were playing a nice patient build up game, until they went behind. Then they needed to zip it about more.

Plus it sounds like he's got a bet on most the time. I'm convinced he had Germany + BTTS the other day. Mainly because in the last minute when Ronaldo was taking a free kick he muttered "come on, let's have one of your specials". Which is pretty much what I was muttering for the same reason!

Townsend is awful. Apparently Belgium were playing a nice patient build up game, until they went behind. Then they needed to zip it about more.

Plus it sounds like he's got a bet on most the time. I'm convinced he had Germany + BTTS the other day. Mainly because in the last minute when Ronaldo was taking a free kick he muttered "come on, let's have one of your specials". Which is pretty much what I was muttering for the same reason!

The quality of commentators is dreadful. Kevin Kilbane described a goal as being 'on the stroke of half-time' the other night, when it was just over half an hour into the game. And Robbie Savage is just a massive bell end.

The quality of commentators is dreadful. Kevin Kilbane described a goal as being 'on the stroke of half-time' the other night, when it was just over half an hour into the game. And Robbie Savage is just a massive bell end.

I quite like Lawrenson, and Andy Gray was good back in the day, but I've never understood why it has to be an ex-pro doing it.

I quite like Lawrenson, and Andy Gray was good back in the day, but I've never understood why it has to be an ex-pro doing it.

Lawrenson's a smart arse who hates Latics, though, given the pool of co-commentators being used, I suppose he's relatively good.

I always felt that it killed MOTD when the swinger took over from Des. Ex footballers talking to each other makes it feel like a smug in joke.

And Robbie Savage is just a massive bell end.

Savage: "Clarence Seedorf and Thierry Henry can have all their medals but they couldn't commentate on a goal like that."

Aye. I'm sure they're happier with their medals, you :censored:ing tool.