• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I absolutely detest 'Keep The Faith' and never use it. It always brings to mind that crappy Bon Jovi tune, which I hate.

I can understand how the relative newcomers to Latics do not realize just how long it has been associated with the club but it really is time to ditch it and come up with something else that is more relative to the club as it stands today.

I always liked Dowie's 'Go Hard Or Go Home' but a local brothel is using it at the moment, so maybe not. :grin:

If something more robust was needed what about 'Come Hell or High Water'

It doesn't make any difference to me. I am now in my 60th year of active support. Re-election, relegation, promotion and Premiership. Good owners, bad owners, great players, mediocre players, superb managers, dross managers,I have seen them all.

Choose any slogan you fancy - it won't bring anyone through the turnstiles. Only big names and wealth or luck with a manager and a group of players will do that. The prerequisite for the 'first two' on a regular basis are supporting a big city club. We are firmly placed in the 'second two' zone.

I am eagerly looking forward to the new season just as much as I did in 1954 when I was 8 years old but infinitely more pragmatic about our prospects and the game in general.

Keep the Faith - Come Hell or High Water, they also fit well together.

Edited by mikeroyboy

I absolutely detest 'Keep The Faith' and never use it. It always brings to mind that crappy Bon Jovi tune, which I hate.

Kind of where I am, apart from the detesting bit. In fact, I don't really mind it but I don't like the Bon Jovi song, apart from one LDV game or whatever it was called at the time when I think we were playing Wrexham, or someone else and it was going into extra time. I was in the Chaddy and they played the song and for some reason everything made sense, the refrain when they repeat "Keep the faith" and slowly build seemed to instil confidence in the fans and we really got behind the team in extra time. Still lost though.

I've got those stickers of the latics kit on my bins and worry that my neighbours think I'm a godbotherer as it says "faith" and I can't think of anything worse than adults still believing in that nonsense but I do think it applies to football. We're a tinpot 3rd division club with falling gates and that minute at the last home game when the names of the fans who have died that year gets longer each season. There won't be many of us left soon. All we left is the faith that things could, might get better. Some deluded player might decide that our patch of grass if the perfect place to ply his trade, a bunch of gangly kids from the youths could come through and sweep all before them and blast us into the championship. If you take our faith away we have nothing left, we might as go and give out money to that brothel mentioned above, at least we'd see some decent finishing.

Keep the faith stays for me, keep it on the shirts too unless we can sell that space to some commercial partner.