England Test Cricket

So, good job i'm not a selector eh?

Mo Ali looks worth keeping on with, with work (lots) he could well become on an outright International spinner, who bats a bit; or worst case an all-rounder.

Balance again needs perservering with; at his age (24?) he could nail that number 3 spot for years to come

Robson isnt up to it though, yet.

Root looks a good bet at #5 now, so i'd leave him there, and Bell at 4 - i wouldnt look to have either of them opening.

Adam Lythe or James Taylor for me as the next ones to be given a shot. Dont think Taylor did a lot wrong when he was included last time, And i was surprised he was forgotten about.

Woakes was unlucky, he beat the bat so much without having that little bit of luck to bring him a wicket. I used to see him as 1 day only; but - he might have just played his way into the 3 seamer role.

Jordan had one didnt he? They need to decide if its Stokes or him, and give whichever one it is a real run. He hasnt helped his cause with his bowling performance; but id still go with him. Proper athlete and a bonus is his close fielding too.

Maybe its all not as bad as it seemed. Amazing what a win does!

They do need to look at captaincy succession planning. James Taylor might be the right one to bring in.

They do need to look at captaincy succession planning. James Taylor might be the right one to bring in.

I think Root is earmarked (for a few years off, hopefully,) I do think cricket captains are different to football team captains-they grow into the position!

It is a much harder game to manage with all of the complexities and subtleties!

What a difference a few weeks make!

Aye.

Ignore my post further back on this thread. I wanted Cook stripped of the captaincy and rested, Robson & Ballance taken out, Mo Ali out...it goes on!!!

Glad i'm not a selector!!

I think the success story so far is Mo Ali; he appears to be a very dedicated young man, who has worked ever so hard in a real short space of time. His bowling has improved dramatically - his pace is up, his revolutions up, his grouping tighter and his lines bang on the money.

Great work from him, the back room team and Cook; for using him at exactly the right moments.

Bodes well.

I do still stand by my Sam Robson point though; he's not ready. We need a new opener; and i'd go James Taylor to come in - and either get him to open; or put Root in their with Taylor going in at 5.

Moving Root up there would be utter madness. Taylor is lower down the order too (three at best, generally four/five). It's a hell of a different job to opening. If not Robson, is it time to try and weaken the great unwashed a bit further for the rest of the season and take Lyth?

Lyth's been talked about for a few years now; and he's having another good season.

But a top order including 3 Yorkies? Urgh!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, that was a quite remarkable turnaround in fortunes wasnt it?

After Lords; I dont think anyone would have predicted how that ended up panning out.

From dispondent and down & out; It suddenly looked a heck of a lot rosier.

Now, the only issues to reslove are the opening spot; as Sam Robson doesnt look upto International Cricket just yet, and the 4th seamer position - jury still out on Chris Jordan. I think he's worth continuing with; but could see reasons why they might go back to Plunkett or Stokes.

Long wait now for the next series. Someone might stake a claim with what's left of the County Championship or one of the one day squad might force their way into the Test thinking?

Nice toget back to winning ways; and in such convincing fashion in the end too...