Book Reviews

They are real pieces of local history, descriptive of the local economy, how people travelled, the cost of living, and the local social stratum. The number of Aldermen and JPs on boards of directors ....!  

The artwork is great isn't it? I look at the covers of Latics programms in 61-63  (the leaping players against a tangerine background) or in 65 with a firece looking player in Latics strip dominating, and always feel it's a shame that the designers aren't credited. The same with many other clubs - maybe there's a book to be witten about the missing football artists !

Thanks for all the work you're doing to help save the club. I have to admit that I'm probably not helping insofar as I write for the programme which might be said to be supporting the regime but I was chuffed to little mintballs to be asked !!

I keep some of the books I review and pass on others to people who would appreciae them. If you don't mind letting me have an address, I'll send the Programmes! Programmes! to uou.

Best wishes

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, LaticsPete said:

Thanks for all the work you're doing to help save the club. I have to admit that I'm probably not helping insofar as I write for the programme which might be said to be supporting the regime but I was chuffed to little mintballs to be asked !!

I keep some of the books I review and pass on others to people who would appreciate them. If you don't mind letting me have an address, I'll send the Programmes! Programmes! to you.

Best wishes

I'm not doing anything Pete! I'm just providing a platform for Latics fans to organise action, and share information. The bulk of the work is done by fans. I appreciate the work that you do here, and I'll promote it as much as I can.

7 hours ago, oafcmetty said:

He's not the saviour, he's a very naughty boy (FCUM fan).

:blush: I've spent more time at Avro than anything else recently.

12 hours ago, LaticsPete said:

They are real pieces of local history, descriptive of the local economy, how people travelled, the cost of living, and the local social stratum. The number of Aldermen and JPs on boards of directors ....!  

The artwork is great isn't it? I look at the covers of Latics programms in 61-63  (the leaping players against a tangerine background) or in 65 with a firece looking player in Latics strip dominating, and always feel it's a shame that the designers aren't credited. The same with many other clubs - maybe there's a book to be witten about the missing football artists.

Back on topic, I remember as a kid you could get a big bundle of programmes from the late sixties and seventies from club shops for pennies, I'd spend hours reading them - Arbroath, Bournemouth, Watford, Leeds Gateshead, hundreds from all over the place. Looking at them now adds another nostalgic layer because of the adverts too, Whatneys Red Barrel, Capstan Full Strength...

You are absolutely correct, and I've never thought about it like this before, but they are little historical documents that completely capture in a snapshot not just the sport, but the way of life for working class people up and down the country. Truly engrossing. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Scottish Football: Souvenirs from the Golden Years

Robert Marshall & David Stuart

Pitch Publishing 2021

Hardback 320pp  £20

For the authors, the Golden Years were 1946 to 1986. Between the latter and the present day, a Rangers/Celtic duopoly had won the Scottish championship for 36 consecutive seasons. Yet, in the 40 previous years, there had been eight teams as champions. Nine had won the Scottish Cup, and 10 the League Cup. Fifteen different clubs had picked up at least one of the trophies. In two seasons the big two Glasgow clubs won nothing.  However, as well as glorying in the broad spread of clubs jockeying at the top, that period generally witnessed a time when Scottish football punched strongly. There were victories in both the European Cup and the Cup-Winners Cup, and the national team appeared in six World Cup Finals.

The game was booming, and it was recognised in the activity levels off the pitch. A thriving print media generated Football Scot, Scottish Football, and Scottish Football Weekly. Post-war crowds boomed everywhere but the appetite north of the border seemed immense: on one day in 1948, two Scottish Cup semi-finals were played in Glasgow with a combined attendance of 212,000. Programmes too developed and both Clyde and Aberdeen won regular awards in “the well-respected” Programme Monthly.  Motherwell even featured on the cover of “Soccer Star”!  The 1950s began with Hibs dominating and ended with Hearts at the top, further evidence of a club network that was still a meritocracy.

Every season in the forty years is covered, not only with narrative but with pictures of programmes, magazines, cards, tickets and the like so it’s a book that’s rich with the “souvenirs” of its title. It would have been helpful to identify them as not every reader will know for example, which series of cards the illustration relates to, but the visual impact and array is strong. The programme element of these illustrations is, of course, easy to follow through match details on the cover and there are some wonderful examples of the breadth of design across the period. The Partick Thistle programme of 1979/80 looking both in style of illustration and the player’s kit like a “Roy of the Rovers” publication, compares with a neat, restrained DTP issue from Threave Rovers v Keith. Club names in Scotland often seem romantic and, to an Englishman, hard to locate. Rothes, Chirnside United, and Vale of Athol, or Duns all made (and in some cases) still make Cup appearances.

As mentioned, European forays were frequent and rich.  Six times in finals, and 14 clubs beaten in European semi-finals. Celtic were actually the sixth Scottish team in the European Cup, winning at their first attempt.  In 1983 a ticket for Rangers v Inter Milan could be had for £3, but to see The Stranglers at Glasgow Apollo was £4.50.  Quasi-international was the Texaco Cup (later the Anglo-Scottish) which saw 25 Scottish teams participate. It was pre-dated by the 1953 Coronation Cup, four from each country involved and Celtic winning.

There’s a wonderful final section to the book: a “Gallimaufry”. Bringing together more strands of the Caledonian football tapestry like the Home Championship, 5 & 6-a-side competitions and lost or revamped grounds.  A book that a tribute to the breath and depth of Scottish football, compellingly written, very well illustrated, and one that can be enjoyed by any football supporter or collector anywhere.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Note to Latics fans. As well as an interview with Rick Holden in the book it's worth noting that Wibble Books is run by Dave Moore and Rick. Dave is a massive Latics supporter in  Canada.

Before the Premier League

Paul Whittle

Wibble Publishing 2021

Softback 216pp £9.99

From the abolition of the maximum wage, the end of regionalised lower divisions, through the impact of television and sponsorship right up to the Premier League in 1992, the Football League went through a transformational thirty years. Whilst it tried to innovate and adapt, it ended up as a junior partner in the football pyramid hierarchy.  Was the new reality brought about by external forces that the League had no way of controlling, and what were the experiences of clubs and players in that period?

With hindsight, the thirty years saw massive changes, not only in football but in society generally, changes that seem vast in such a short time. It had taken a while to emerge from the effects of war, but there then came an explosion of consumerism, a shrinking sense of deference, challenges to the existing order, and the beginnings of globalisation. Victorian structures and hierarchies were always going to be at risk, and the Football League was one of those. It’s probably both true and sad that the author is correct in concluding that the incremental decline of the League will continue as less and less of the game’s assets are passed on to it from the financial elite.

Paul Whittle has taken on his task of producing “A History of the Football League’s Last Decades” in a manner that attempts to satisfy different perspectives. There are some hard facts and figures from the full story of the League – everything from Most Goals Conceded in a season, to Most Career Appearances, Longest Run of Defeats, and the like. There’s also narrative in the form of chapters looking at aspects such as Attendances, the Transfer market, Sponsorship, or Television, and, in an engaging way, interviews with a range of players, fans and historians that occupy half the book.  

It's an eclectic mix: Rick Holden, Ron Futcher and Nigel Gleghorn  are some of those there along with Everton’s official statistician Gavin Buckland. Maybe there’s not a great analytical theme to the interviews but the stories they tell and the perceptions the individuals have of “being there” in those immediate pre-Premier days do capture the reader’s attention.

It’s an enjoyable book, partly because of this three-pronged look at the League in this period, but also because the style is readable and obviously that of someone who cares about his subject. It’s not a massive tome but a definitely useful one for anyone that wants to get a feel and understanding of how things were pre-1992.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for taking the time to read my book and post such a generous review, Pete!

I'm a first-time author and independent (with help from Wibble) so it's not easy plugging the book with so much competition out there. For anyone interested, the book is available from my blog at https://the1888letter.com/book-before-the-premier-league/ - with a bit more information about it.

I've tried to be objective but I do miss football pre-1992 (and not just as a Latics fan)!

Paul.

front-cover-final-small.jpg.7b804b86b800c556385de81749458e4e.jpg

• Thanks 2

Ron Greenwood

Mike Miles

Pitch Publishing 2021

Hardback 320pp £19.99

Who was Ron Greenwood? In factual terms he was an ex-player who turned coach, managed West Ham United from 1960 to 1975, as well as England u-23s for nearly three years, and had a 60%-win record as England boss in his 55 matches between 1977 and 1982. To give that some colour, during this career he won the FA Cup and European Cup-Winners’ Cup with the Hammers, coached Peters, Hurst, and Moore to be players who have iconic status in the English game, and had to reinvigorate a national side left floundering after Don Revie’s departure for the money of the Middle East.

Just on that basis there is reason to ask, as the author does, why is Greenwood “Football’s Forgotten Manager”? Is, however, that record one of under-achievement, where missed opportunities and personal principles denied both him and others greater success? There’s evidence both that he delivered against the odds and that he perhaps created some of those odds himself.

Like a man he admired greatly, and worked with in many roles, the first England Manager Walter Winterbottom, Greenwood had been born in Lancashire. Often identified with London, he was ten before his dad’ s work took him to London where, eventually, Mr Greenwood senior became painting maintenance manager at Wembley Stadium. A playing career started in the war, taking him to Chelsea, Bradford Park Avenue, Brentford, Chelsea again, and Fulham, and then coaching in non-league found him involved with the England Youth team, and then Arsenal. Again, like Winterbottom, he was amazed and excited by the Mighty Magyars and their 6-3 demolition of England in 1953, and his determination to succeed led him to learn and implement as much as possible about coaching. When, in the late 50s, Arsenal made it clear that, despite being head coach, there was no managerial role for him there, the opportunity to take over at West Ham was accepted – even if his Highbury connections didn’t go down well with some Hammers’ supporters.

It's here that the evaluation of success really begins. There’s no questioning Greenwood’s achievements in establishing the club as a constant presence in the top-flight, and cup victories against English and Continental teams deserves all the plaudits. Whilst West Ham may not have won the 1966 World Cup, tactics developed by Greenwood certainly helped. The quick freekick and cross to the near post’ leading to England’s equaliser in the final, was worked on as part of club training. His development of young players brought through many notables, and he helped pioneer the presence of black players, despite the notoriously racist elements in the Boleyn Ground crowd. The author suggests factors that indicate that even more could have been delivered. One was Greenwood’s weakness in not building on any success the team had. A reliance on those who had been there, whilst demonstrating loyalty, didn’t let the club “kick on”. Another was the admirable principles he had. He was offered Gordon Banks from Leicester City for £50000 but, as he had already agreed with Kilmarnock to sign Bobby Ferguson for £65000, turned down England’s No 1 for Scotland’s No 2. There was also his perceived weakness in some matters of discipline. Greenwood liked to believe that if he respected and trusted players, they wouldn’t let him down. Unfortunately, a drinking culture at the club showed otherwise and weakened performances.

Ron Greenwood, and his tactical nous, his coaching passion and his integrity did, however, help England out. Revie had departed ignominiously, and a steady but talented replacement was needed. Initially for three matches Greenwood took over but, by the end of 55 games, he had got the team back into the World Cup Finals, a quarter-final finish something that a few years earlier would have been longed for.

For over twenty years Ron Greenwood had managed with a determination that there was a “right” way of going about things. Without the charisma of Clough, or the ruthlessness of Revie, he still carved out a presence that has to be admired, regardless of any “if only” provisos.

• 1 month later...

Fit And Proper People

Martin Calladine & James Cave

Pitch Publishing 2022

Softback  352pp £12.99

Who wouldn’t want to own , at least in part, a football club? The opportunity to help decide transfers, select the squad, or even plan training sessions? These were some of the carrots dangled by Stuart Harvey when he launched OwnaFC in 2018 , offering, for £99 (later £49) part ownership of a professional club. Which club wasn’t mentioned, mainly because nothing had been agreed with one, but it seemed an accessible path to playing Football Manager for real.

The scheme failed and the authors untangle the reasons why; the concept, the delivery , and the overblown promises. In a personal saga there is the story of intimidation, legal action over harassment, and financial loss. In the wider narrative, the fragility of safeguards against dubious ownership of clubs and the precipice over which some have fallen as a result, with many more teetering on the edge, are put under the spotlight. Whether as long-term supporters of Bury, Derby, Oldham and many other clubs, or investors in this scheme, it is fans who are on the receiving end of vanity, incompetence, ineptitude or, in some cases, illegality. Is it possible for supporters to be safeguarded, can clubs with proud histories be safeguarded against the unscrupulous ?The authors argue that it s now that action has to be taken. The abortive launch of a Super League may be a temporary victory for fans at the pinnacle of the game but that has to be translated down through the pyramid and it has to be by involving the people who love football, the fans.

The story of OwnaFc is intriguing and told clearly and, with hindsight, the warning signs were in pace early one. Launched as a different concept from the Ebbsfleet MyFootbalClub scheme, Stuart Harvey’s product was thrown into the limelight following an uncritical BBC feature. More media piggybacked this and the coverage gave it credibility. Hundreds of thousands of pounds flooded in but, despite publicised talks with Hednesford FC, no club was ever bought. Guarantees of refunds proved flimsy and Harvey himself appeared as a businessman who flitted between ideas and appears in this book as unpleasant ;a restraining order was placed on him in regard to one of the authors. In regards to OwnaFC itself, 15% of police forces in the UK received complaints in relation to it.

Fans want their clubs to be safe . To have a future that is not at risk from those who have little interest in its heritage, or in the community, yet those charged with protecting this legacy seem to have neither the will nor the power to do so. This book illustrates some small-scale initiatives that are supporter-led and , it hopes, demonstrates that there are “fit and proper people” out there that can provide a healthier future for the clubs that make up our game.

The Beautiful History

Martyn Routledge & Elspeth Wills

Pitch Publishing 2021

Hardback 192pp £16.99

The badges of football clubs are emblems of the past. Whether marking a particular event in local or national history, or the predominant local industry, local landmarks, or the topography of the area, they are symbols of what has taken place. Each of these has to have a significance sufficient for the club to believe that a visual representation has a meaningful impact to anyone seeing the badge.They are a shorthand and quick link to the occurrence or object that has had an impact on the club or its locality.Often overlooked, they deserve more appreciation as being at the heart of a club’s origins and identity.

This superbly illustrated book examines the badges of 100 clubs , at many levels of the game. It links each to the development of British history and how that has become represented in the badge. A massive time span is embraced, from the ammonite fossils on Whitby Town’s badge , representing the 200 million year-old fossils found on the local coast, to more modern times. There are six stripes on Stevenage’s badge , each representing one of the six neighborhoods that became part of the “Stevenage New Town”.  The reincarnation of Gretna FC in 2008 by its supporters’ trust displays a blacksmith’s forge , explained by a piece on the 1753 Marriage Act. That forbade it illegal in England for anyone under 21 to marry without parental permission. Thousands crossed the border to the Scottish village of Gretna Green where the blacksmith (thought to be a lucky talisman) conducted the wedding.

Each page tells a different story, and there are footnotes suggesting a place to visit and something to do. So, for the year 832, when an army of Picts and Scots were in trouble in Northumbria, prayers  resulted in the cross of St Andrew , the saltire, appearing in the sky and saving the troops. It became the flag of Scotland and appears on the badge of Ayr United.  The “Why Not” suggests finding out how many other Scottish clubs use it , and “Visit” suggests going to the National Flag Heritage Centre in East Lothian.  This might give the impression that the book is aimed at a younger reader(and there are activities at the end that reinforce this) and for anyone from ten to fifteen years old this would be a great gift. However, us seniors will also find it immensely readable and informative, fun and intelligently put together.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Political football

Wyn Grant

Agenda Publishing 2021

Softback 192pp  £19.99

Written by a politics professor , albeit a lifelong Charlton Athletic supporter, this is a challenging analysis of the game  as it exists in the global economy and 21st century society. That may be enough to deter some from opening its covers but, if you do, then you’ll be given  what is almost certainly a clearer picture of what’s happening to football. Right from the start the author acknowledges that there are no easy answers to what he sees as the problems facing it, but the case for more regulation and oversight is adequately made.

For supporters of most professional clubs in this country, the ability to influence their direction and affairs has shrunk inexorably this century. If we go on from the premise that , in most of our lifetimes, the club ha some links with us, usually from the sense of place then on nearly every front, that has dissipated or disappeared. Local business people owning the club? In most cases a thing of the past. Similarly with players either emanating from the locality or even living there in the same communities as supporters. Even the fan base has been diluted, “tourists” in increasing numbers in the seats, certainly in the Premier League.  As global media has increased its coverage and moneyed influence, so football has become both an investment and an international ego trip. With a turnover of billions at the top, and bare bones at the bottom, it is an industry that appears to be ever more in danger of having an irreversibly fractured future. For some, mainly those who now control many clubs  or the organisations that “govern” the game and  have a gargantuan appetite for money, then the path to elitism is the one to follow. For the others it seems in both the short and long term a road to possible ruin.

There is, it is argued, a narrowness of vision that leads to the football industry elite trying to maintain self-regulation (a situation that is in contrast to many other industries). Foreign State ownership of clubs is not done for altruistic reasons; Newcastle, PSG, Manchester City were not seen as deserving causes for purchase because of local economic or social need. Political alliances and regimes do, however, fall in and out of favour. Abramovitch’s close ties to Putin have created major instability even at the level of Chelsea. Global stability can no longer be taken for granted and the future of clubs, and their supporters thrown in doubt.  Self-regulation has done very little to combat racism, homophobia , or misogyny , at least when compared to the resources available. Corruption at FIFA was exposed and yet the World Cup still given to a country whose government has a terrible record in some of these issues.

Small clubs battle for existence - there has been an absence of action from the EFL or FA about the recent plights of Blackpool, Bury, Oldham , or Leyton Orient, all at the apparent mercy of individuals without threat of sanction. Some larger clubs exclude local supporters through restrict the number of Season Tickets for sale. This means there are more “tourist tickets” available.  Across the piece, football is at a crossroads. Self-regulation is failing the game on many fronts. What form of external regulation is required is not clear, but this book makes the case for it extremely well

• 1 month later...

NB: Garth Dykes is a lifelong Latics supporter and has written several books about the history of the club and its players. As this review shows, he's also produced a range of work on other football clubs.

South Shields Who’s Who 1919 - 1930

Garth Dykes

SoccerData 2022

Paperback, 78pp £12

South Shields may be nowadays known as the finish of the Great North Run, but for over a decade its football club held its own in the Football League. In 1904 South Shields Adelaide was formed, turning professional four years later, before dropping the suffix in 1910. The hiatus of the Great War meant that it was 1919 before League ambitions were fulfilled, and the club retained that status until 1930. There’s case for saying that they didn’t lose it even then but financial problems caused them to move up  the Tyne to Gateshead , adopting the name of their new base , with the new entity remaining in the League until 1960.

Garth Dykes is a prolific football historian , participating in 28 publications s, and his meticulous attention to detail is once again demonstrated in this book. Biographical notes of each player who turned out for Shields in the Football League or the FA Cup , from Frank Atkinson to Robert Young , are enhanced in many cases by contemporary photographs.  Every player is given birth and , where appropriate, death, dates and locations, their debut match, and  details of their career . Richard Robert Brown had a solitary appearance , against Grimsby in 1928, but went on to play for a series of non-league North-Easter clubs , ending with West Allotments FC. Meanwhile, Jock Hutcheson clocked up 199 games and, as club captain, led the side to three top nine finishes in Div 2.

The football lives of players in the 1920s are well illustrated by the vignettes that the author provides, with some surprising twists and turns. Goalie Lancelot Holliday moved to Manchester United after 60 games for £1000 in 1923, went to Reading and then opted for a farming life in Argentina. George Reay worked as a railway locomotive fireman as well as being a winger for South Shields, whilst another goalie, Ernest Hoffman , although born in Wakefield, was of German descent and despite having two England amateur caps, was interned for part of World War I , also guested for Tottenham Hotspur  as a wartime player, before spending three years with the south Tynesiders. Another International was outside-right Robert Faulkner( 20 appearances).  but his three caps were for Canada where had emigrated in 1924, turning out for Toronto Irish and Toronto Clarkes as well as the US Providence Clamdiggers.

There is also a complete record of all matches, lineups and attendances for the seasons , beginning with a 1-0 loss away at Fulham in 1919 and ending with a 2-2 home draw against Carlisle in May 1930. League tables are included and there’s a list of all FA Cup matches played by clubs from South Shields from 1888 right up to a  2nd Qualifying Round loss to Marske United in 2022..

Just over 100 years ago  two Tyneside teams were vying for Football League success and this is the well-compiled story of the men behind one of them and who shouldn’t be forgotten.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

West Ham United: From East End Family to Globalised Fandom

Jack Fawbert

Pitch Publishing 2022

Hardback 352pp £16.99

A club rooted in working-class origins develops into a type of entity that has worldwide recognition. Not a unique story, indeed one that is probably shared by most clubs in the Premier League and beyond. The industrial and social changes of late Victorian and Edwardian Britain created hundreds of clubs that were based upon a distinct locality, drew players and support from working class communities, and, in many cases, established themselves as long-term entities. Do West Ham United have distinct characteristics? The author, a lifelong Hammers supporter, makes that case in an interesting if not wholly convincing manner.

The start of the book is an overview of football’s development from public schools to the working man, set in the context of East End life. It’s peppered with references that give it the feel of a thesis rather than a general narrative but the context of society in which West Ham developed is well portrayed. There’s also considerable discussion of the movement of thousands of people away from the old docklands into Essex and beyond. The notion of local identification is not, it’s argued, based on immediate proximity to the club’s ground but on the sense of family and cultural ties that move as people do.  If your family supported the Iron then you will too, even if you now live several miles away. There’s significant evidence put forward to back this for West Ham, but whether that’s a stronger characteristic than for other clubs is never questioned.

Much of the second half of the book looks at the “globalised fandom” that surrounds clubs, and there is a list spanning five pages of “geographically based West Ham United supporters’ groups”. It seems as though most countries have at least one such group although the numbers involved for each are not always given. For Australia, however, there are apparently 4,242 members of 11 groups and Indonesia has 835 members in 11 also. For an old-fashioned football supporter like me I’m always sceptical of those from far way saying they “support” a club and the book does attempt to explore this. Expats can often genuinely claim a connection but the reasons given by several of USA based “fans” will cause a few raided eyebrows: “I watched the movie Green Street”, “ “I liked “Bubbles”,  “I played FIFA”.

In fairness to the author, he attempts to explore who these fans are, their backgrounds and motivations.  The end result of the book is a demonstration of the shift of West Ham United’s appeal, and that is done well. How does that compare with other clubs is not a question that is attempted but this sets out a template for how that could be measured in the future.

• 1 month later...

The Power & The Glory

Mick Clegg

Reach Sport   2022

Hardback  291pp    £14.99

For nearly 12years Mick Clegg worked as a coach with Manchester United. Not, however, as one of those involved with skills or tactics but as someone devoted to “power development”. It’s this aspect of his career rather than bits of dressing room gossip or insider revelations that make his story more interesting. As part of the physical preparation of players then he makes a strong case for its benefits and how it’s appropriate for professional footballers, even if a ball is only rarely used.

Clegg explains the difference between what he teaches and the view of a sports scientist. The latter, he says, looks at who is faster over 40m , Player A or B, and that training to achieve that is primary. His contrary view is that it’s strength in deceleration, preparing for a turn in direction, and other aspects that make up “functional Strength” .  His book provides several stories of how he convinced other coaches and players that his methods would benefit them, interesting that toey should be unaware of the techniques when at other clubs and there are several testimonials included from them . Solskjaer calls him “different class” and Rio Ferdinand says “he loved working with Cleggy”. Perhaps the most pertinent is that of Louis Saha , “Mick is old school but an innovator”.

There is definitely a narrative of how he had to prove himself to considerable egos and did so by adapting routines and training to the specific needs, situations and personalities. The progress of a boxing programme with Roy Keane not only bonded a respect between the two but was based on an early conversation where Keane declared he’d had four bouts as an amateur. He introduced  Neurotracker , a training idea that had players wearing 3D glasses to track multiple objects: highest one-time score by Ji-sung Park but Paul Scholes consistently far ahead . A player who wasn’t the fastest over 20m but who had the all-round vision to be fast and strong in that space, and who legg developed specific drills for.

Clegg had previously run a gym, and coached a mix of teams , sports and individuals. Since leaving Old Trafford he has done the same, developing athletes up to Olympic level. He has also found a Christian faith and talks of how this has helped him and given him a different perspective on life, especially in his desire , and ability, to listen to those seeking his help. It’s a ghost-written book (with the help of Steve Bartram) but the personalty of Clegg comes strongly across and his contribution to athletes, especially at Manchester United, amply documented.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

The Armistice Day Killing

Colin Brown

Pitch Publishing 2022

Hardback  288pp  £19.99

Tommy Ball was a part of Aston Villa’s team in 1923/4 when they pushed for the League and FA cup double. However, on the evening of Nov 11th, 1923, he was shot dead, the only active British footballer to have been, in law, murdered. His neighbour was convicted, spending 42 years in jail and asylums, yet there is still speculation as to whether that was the right verdict.

A book that is part the story of a player and his career, part social history about the game and its connection with communities at the time, part detective story, and part review of the court case and its aftermath, this is an intriguing and well-constructed narrative. From the start of Tommy Ball’s life, through to the death of the man convicted of his murder, George Stagg in 1966, great research is demonstrated. Was the conviction safe? By forensically rigorous standards of today, then there must be some doubt as to whether “murder” was committed but the book allows the reader to come to their own conclusion.

Ball was a coal miner in Gateshead, he played for the Felling Colliery side, but, in 1920, he made the journey to Birmingham after signing for Aston Villa. As full-back he nearly didn’t make the grade but, after a switch to centre half, he began to be a fixture in the team. Married to a local girl, with a wage that made them relatively comfortable but still part of the local community, catching the bus to games and drinking in local pubs, life was going well. On Saturday 10th Nov Ball had been a member of the Villa team that won 1-0 at Notts County, a player regarded as one who had developed significantly in his time in Birmingham, and, at 23, one with a good future ahead.

The following day, Armistice Day just five years after the end of WWI, he and his wife went for a drink at the Church Tavern in Perry Barr.  After a bus ride and walk home, they got home about 10pm. Over the next hour a series of events led to an apparent altercation with his neighbour and landlord, George Stagg. A former policeman and wounded war veteran, Stagg shot Ball. Accident or deliberate? Provoked or not? Manslaughter or murder? The author looks at a comprehensive range of issues and the people involved. Ballistics, insurance, police evidence, that from relatives and neighbours, credibility of timings, and the personalities and character of Ball and Stagg. Could Stagg have committed murder? Would he have done so?

The police and judiciary acted quickly at the time. From the shooting it was just 14 weeks to all the court hearings and the end of the appeal process. Murder was a capital offence and Stagg was sentenced to death, although the jury had asked for mercy. There was, however, relatively new Labour Home Secretary, Arthur Henderson, who commuted the sentence to life imprisonment, beginning in Parkhurst prison.

Stagg later moved to Broadmoor and other mental hospitals, still a prisoner, dying aged 87. Tommy Ball was buried on 19th November 1923 at St John’s Church, Perry Barr. His pallbearers were Aston Villa teammates, and thousands were present.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

1 Shilling

The Football Programme Design Revolution of 1965-85

Matthew Caldwell & Alan Dein

1 Shilling Publications   2022

Hardback £30 224pp

Why do programmes look like they do? Where do the designs come from? Looking at a club’s programmes, what has caused a new format to be produced after years of static presentation?  Here’s a book that sheds light on some of the answers and introduces some of the people behind programmes from the mid-60s for the next 20 years.

It’s not comprehensive, focusing predominantly on the work of a small number of designers, so don’t expect the rationale of programme evolution for more than a limited number of clubs. Consequently, there are some observations that, in the context of clubs the reader might know well, are open to debate. However, and it’s a big but, the book exemplifies and explains how many programmes developed in the period looked at. Importantly the authors present the importance of programmes to football and supporters and reflected the wider local community

Bernard Gallagher was responsible for Aberdeen’s programme design from 1980 for eight years, a happy time partly stimulated by Alex Ferguson being part of his interview panel for the job.  “To him it (the programme) was an integral part of every club”.  Elsewhere there were determined attempts by others in the club to bring about change. At WBA their programme “Albion News” was amongst the lowest ranked in the League and it was their Promotions Manager who instigated revamp with the appointment of 29-year-old graphic designer John Elvin. The career of Elvin won him Top Programme of season 1969/70 but shortly after he revolutionised the programme of Coventry City and Chelsea. He, and others profiled in the book, were of a new generation, and used new typefaces, formats, and illustrations, reflecting trends in advertising, publishing and of a new commercialism in football. And all before the age of the AppleMac so done by hand. From the supporter the welcome, whilst generally positive, was sometimes muted, especially when designers “indulged” themselves and produced something that was more about form than function, something that might be said about parts of the book. If supporters reacted badly to black print on a green background in a small font size, then so could readers. The book certainly replicates some of the style of programmes of the era, and credit for that, but be prepared to reach for the reading glasses at times.

There’s relevant discussion about programmes today, especially compared with those of 40/50 years ago when a look inside nearly all of them would have shone a light on the economy and society of local communities. The advertising would be a mash of small businesses, shops, employment opportunities, and bingo halls, with most of them using their own design, ancient and modern. Now there is a plethora of national advertisers, lessening the local identity. Local club news had a very different feel to it when it was basically the programme, local radio and newspaper that had any whilst 24-hour social media has put paid to that. The authors make a plea that the link between club and community should be re-established by programmes, that they should reduce in cost, and that they should be exciting and memorable. We’d all agree with those I believe, although it might take more than “inviting the best designers”.  But, as the book ends, there’s a statement that, again, we’d sign up to: “We all want to hear the cries of Get Yer Programmes

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Ten Big Ears

Aly Mir

Pitch Publishing 2022

Hardback 318pp  £16.99

This isn’t a book about a 5-a-side team’s hearing but rather an account of FC Barcelona’s five European Cup/Champions League successes, drawing on the distinctive design of the trophy itself. Whilst there are other narratives about the club and its European matches this is probably unusual in that the author occupies a space in the football supporters’ world that isn’t that common. Every so often he writes of his support for Leeds United but has chronicled his obvious love for Barca in such a comprehensive manner that one is left wondering when there was time (or money) to offer such support.

For 39 years he has watched the Catalans to such an extent that he is a leading light in the “Penya Blaugrana London” (Blue and Red Supporters Club London) and with other penyas worldwide. The story he tells is a detailed one, many matches in most campaigns recalled almost as match reports as well as how he got his ticket, how much he paid, what colours the team wore, and where in the stadium he was positioned.  For non-Barca supporters this could pall after a few chapters but, along the way, it illustrates the changes in players, coaches and fortunes of the club. Certainly, the period covered saw it almost come full circle, with a beginning and end each associated with severe financial problems and a ban by UEFA. So, against this background, five times as champions of Europe is an exceptionally praiseworthy achievement and Aly Mir partially sets it in the cultural and historical environment of Catalan identity and tension between it and the rest of Spain.

It is this thread in the book that will appeal more to the wider football supporter: it’s a necessary counterbalance to the personal match by match stories. The chapters towards the end that talk about the development of penyas, the history behind the evolution of the club badge, or why the club colours are blue and red and who has made the kits, are ones that, for me, perked up my interest anew. Without spoiling the story, the first badge unique to the club was designed in 1910, “blaugrana” was selected in 1899, although there are multiple versions of why, Meyba was the first company contracted to produce Barca kits, and the first penya was formed in1944 and there are now 1273 of them, 151 outside Spain. Have they aligned themselves with a club that is now the dominant force in Spain? Will Barcelona still be a premier port of all for some of the world’s top players? Without Middle Eastern money is it able to spend competitively? The story is still unfolding the period since the early 80s may or may not be an indicator of the future. The book is, however, an honest if personal account of what it has meant to one fan.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Games That Made Us

Daniel Hurley

Pitch Publishing 2022

Hardback 350pp £18.99

The importance of any game can be attached to it in two ways: either that assessed at the time, or that’s arrived at with hindsight. The “six pointer” that actually turned out to be irrelevant, or that apparently meaningless fixture upon which a season ultimately pivoted. So, when the author decided to write of West Ham United’s 50 most important matches of the last 30 years, he was able to include both, most of which he attended and some from later research, friends, and family. The result is an entertaining span of players, managers, teams, and places that , whilst of most interest to a Hammer, was also a refreshing reminder of the Premier League era outside the very elite. Not a “what’s happened to football” saga, but the story of how a yo-yo club , sometimes on the edges of achievement, sometimes near circling down, dealt with the new environment.

The years from 1992 fall nicely into nicely into Daniel Hurley’s own life, a primary school kid at first, and when going to his first football game, through student years, and now at the stage of being a father, setting his own boy on the West Ham supporting track. It allows him to talk of matches that probably had more importance to him than to the club and even then he admits that his recall of games he attended early on isn’t too robust but his descriptions are put into the context of what else was happening. So, in November 1993, the home clash with Manchester City was West Ham’s first ever live game on Sky. Significant as the starting point to the almost wall-to-wall coverage that it and every Premier League club now gets and, at the time, tremendously exciting.

As the period unfolds the author seamlessly addresses managerial changes, the finale of the Boleyn Ground, the glamour of Europe (losing in consecutive years to Astra Giurgia of Romania) ,  the great, the bad, and the downright abysmal players that have turned out, all in an affectionate, but not overly partisan fashion. Yes, the ecstasy and agony of beating or losing to Tottenham Hotspur is evident, but there’s a writing style that is self-deprecating and mirrors the inbuilt acceptance of disappointment that many supporters of lots of clubs have. There’s no sense of a divine right of winning things and that makes his descriptions of success, whether in one match or over a longer period, enjoyable even to someone with no East London affiliation. I started the book fearing that it would be narrative of West Ham glory days, but it turned out to be an affectionate warts-and-all set of memories and reports that would appeal to supporters of all sorts (though maybe not those of Tottenham.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Cocker Hoop

Robert Endeacott & Dave Cocker

Pitch Publishing 2022

Hardback 256 pp £19.99

There used to be a relatively small man sat on the bench with Alf Ramsey and Don Revie. Generally known as the trainer although probably not many people really understood what his role was. Les Cocker, as the book’s subtitle says, was their “key man”, an ex-lower league footballer, one of the first to achieve FA coaching credentials, and probably a greater influence over the careers of many top players than at first sight.

Cocker, from Stockport, had played for his hometown club and Accrington Stanley as a combative forward for over 300games until 1958 when he moved into coaching at Luton. A couple of years later he moved to Leeds United before also becoming a squad trainer for Walter Winterbottom’s England. It’s the twin track of loyalty to both of these set-ups, whichforms the bulk of this story. Written by a Leeds supporter and Les’ son, it may at times to be a subjective memoir, but it still opens up a window on to the game in the 60s and 70s, told with some illuminating testimonials to the input Cocker had. 

Regarded by seemingly all the players he came into contact with as a man who pushed them physically to the limits, he was also viewed as an excellent man-manager and an unselfish colleague who worked to improve their game. Johnny Giles is fulsome in his praise saying that his contribution to the “cause of Leeds United and England should never be overlooked” and is one of several top playersthat talk of how Cocker spent time with them on specific developments I their play. The respect is self-evident and was obviously shred by both Ramsey and Revie to whom he became one of the most loyal of lieutenants. It was Sir Alf that talked him out of resigning when he got the sack as England manger, and Cocker stood by Revie through all the traumas of Leeds, England and Dubai, when allegations of cheating and greed were rampant. A constant was Cocker’s disgust at some of the allegedly self-serving, high-handed actions of the FA hierarchy and the Leeds Board of Directors. 

The book is written pretty much in a chronological manner, starting with Cocker’s early days and ending with the posthumous awarding of a 1966 World Cup Winner’s medal in 2009, thirty years after his death. There are aspects of his career that could have been explored further, such as relationship with Harold Shepherdson, Ramsey’s assistant, but it’s an easy read about football at the time and how undervalued many of the key components of it have been undervalued. Talking of which, the pension his widow received from the FA, after Les’16 years of service was, in 2019, a princely £2.79 per week.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Three Lions On a Shirt

Simon Shakeshaft, Daren Burney, Neville Evans

Vision Sports Publishing 2022

Hardback 384pp £40

An outstanding explanation and illustrative history of each and every England football shirt since the very first one in 1872. Perhaps better described as “jerseys” in recognition of that initial piece of kit being a woollen garment , there are over 200 photographed in what must be a comprehensive examination of their development. The designs, fabrics, manufacturers and the associated minutiae attached to them are explained and explored in an absorbing manner, a book to dip into to or read as a complete narrative.

A hand embroidered Three Lions badge appeared on that first white shirt (for the match against Scotland) and , in various iterations, appeared on shirts ever since. In the early days it wasn’t always white however, as players who weren’t especially affluent sometimes arrived in club shirts with the England badge attached. Club shorts and stockings were often worn too. It wasn’t until 1879 that the FA purchased a matching set of shirts , from Gann, Root & co of Fenchurch St., long sleeves, four buttons and with a collar. Very similar to those still worn in the early 1950s in fact.

Between those years, changes had taken place in some ways. Kit was purchased from sports outfitters – Sugg’s of Sheffield in the 1920s or Horne Bros in the ‘30s – or locally based manufacturers – the St Blaize trademark of the Bradford Textile Co appeared in the 1930s as did that of Kinch & Leak, school wear outfitters. For the first time, in 1935 and for their 200th match, England turned out in blue shirts for the home game against Germany at White Hart Lane. And two years later, numbers were worn. It wasn’t until an FA XI turned out in them in 1947 that red shirts were worn and , in 1954, a radical change was made  with short-sleeved, V-neck shirts manufactured by Umbro adopted. It was Umbro that dominated supply for years, except for 1959-64 when Bukta took over although the reason isn’t known; it was quite a while before kit was provided as part of a commercial deal. In 1966, and the World Cup, however, that changed. Whilst Bukta’s largesse was limited to a 20% discount, Umbro offered free kit not just for players but match officials and ball boys! No logo on the shirts of ’66 but the label inside bore one.

In Mexico four years later, “Airtex” was introduced as a fabric, one of the first technical innovations that have developed in football shirts, but Umbro was discarded in favour of Admiral in 1974 and England shirts began to undergo significant design changes. Ten years later Umbro returned , remaining till 2013 and Nike (in place until 2030, so still no Adidas).).  Throughout this period shirts were amended frequently whether collar, cuff, colour of the badge, font of the names, and many other aspects of design. The sheer numbers of pages given over to this evolution is testimony to the constant change that has typified recent eras. Some have been as a result of fashion, of the desire for new offerings as replicas, whilst others by competition rules of FIFA and UEFA. I didn’t know that , whilst “legacy” numbers (the order in which they were capped)  were first used against Montenegro  in 2019 , they subsequently confined to inside the shirt due to UEFA regulations.

The evolution of  England Women’s kit is well covered  (Spall playing a strong role), rightly developing as an equal in terms of quality and attention to design, as is that of goalkeepers, and there’s an excellent section on how kit is looked after and prepared by  (a massive logistical task).  It’s truly a superb volume, and, worthy of a place on the shelves of any football memorabilia enthusiast nit just shirt collectors.

Edited by LaticsPete

• 1 month later...

Johan Cruyff

Auke Kok

Simon & Schuster  2022

Hardback  544pp £25

I was fortunate enough to be able to watch (on tv) Cruyff when he was magisterially one of the best players in the world. At Ajax and Barcelona as well as with the Dutch national team (“Oranje”) he was a superstar, leading, inspiring, and thrilling with apparent ease, seemingly dragging his teammates to new levels of success. As a manager he won the European Cip, the Cup Winners Cup, four consecutive La Liga titles, and the Supercopa.  A football CV and reputation that is stellar.

Throughout all those years I never wondered about the man himself. Social media didn’t exist, British journalism was concerned with him at a distance, the focus only really tuning in when it was big matches or tournaments. It was an eye opener to read this extensively researched biography, and, at the end, I was left with no lesser admiration for the player yet understanding that, as a person, he could be far from likeable and consistent. Abrasive, selfish, always with an eye for the money, and very aware of his status (he once told a referee “It’s Mr Cruyff to you”) but fantastically loyal to some friends and often amazingly generous.

Auke Kok sees Cruyff from a Dutch perspective, able to recognise the impact he had on the game in the Netherlands both at club and national level. Johan came through the ranks speedily at Ajax in the 60s, the club were far from dominant, and he demonstrated his commercial acumen and sense of self-worth by getting a contract at 15, lying about his age as 16 was the legal one for payment.  The Amsterdam club would regard it as a sound investment, he played 329 times and scored 257 goals, helping them to three European Cups in a period and established Ajax as a team to be feared.  At a club playing level his career led him to Barcelona for a world record fee in 1973 and a La Liga title for the first time since 1960. More games in the USA, at Levante, back at Ajax, and even with Feyenoord (fierce Ajax rivals) took place but they were of little significance.

Oranje were favourites for the 1974 World Cup, Cruyff Player of the Tournament, but he ended playing internationally in 1977. His time with the national squad demonstrated both his importance and his arrogance. The national team had a sponsorship deal with Adidas but a look at Cruyff’s shirt showed there were just two stripes, not three: he had a separate deal with Puma and was allowed to opt out of it and saying he would refuse to play otherwise. It was tactic he used more than once in negotiating contracts with clubs or saying who he wanted in the team. As regards the latter, the author evidences many instances at club level of Cruyff essentially determining the line-up as well as the tactics. When he became a manager himself, he took on the Board at Barcelona but eventually alienated most of them, being replaced by Bobby Robson. 

He liked to regard himself as a businessman, and the author describes his constant need to be commercially successful. When he wasn’t he dusted himself down and sought more deals. To the end he yearned to make his family secure and to show the world that the lad from a working-class part of Amsterdam was more than one of the most talented footballers ever.  A lifelong smoker, Johan Cruyff died aged 68 of heart problems. Read this book, smile at the impact and thrills he brought to football, and don’t let some of the other stuff put you off remembering that.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Rebirth of the Blues

Neil Fitzsimon

Pitch Publishing  2023

Paperback 254pp  £12.99

The book is subtitled “The rise of Chelsea FC in the Mid-1980s”. If you’re not aware of the history of Chelsea, don’t get too excited. The late 70s were not the best of times, nor the early 80s, when relegation to the Third Division was on the cards. So, any rise was from a fairly low starting position. Having said that, promotion to the top-flight was achieved, and, before relegation back down, two top-six finishes were achieved. It was also the time when Ken Bates rode in to purchase the club for £1, laying the foundations for later partial success (and some financial stability off the field).

If anyone thinks I’m being unduly downbeat about the story that’s told, then it possibly reflects the style of the book. This is the third in the author’s series on Chelsea, I haven’t read the other two, and they may engender a warmer feeling towards him and his memories of the period, which actually starts in 1977. I’m not a Chelsea supporter, so can’t reflect on how accurate his memories are endorsed or shared, but his are related in a somewhat disparaging manner about other clubs, girlfriends, players or people he came into contact with. Ipswich and Norwich are “country bumpkins”, Grimsby had a support that “was miniscule”, and the bullying and abuse of a young man and his aunt in a restaurant, “merciless piss-taking” , all don’t create a bond with the writer. His attitude to girlfriends probably wouldn’t endear him to many nowadays either.

Like other stories of that period, there’s a good deal about the music scene and politics of the time. They run parallel to the football and although they create a fuller [picture of the author and his life then, don’t really give any great context to what went on at Stamford Bridge. This, however, is where the author probably is at his best. His sense of dejection at how the club were wallowing with little hope of progress is apparent and there are some unusually sympathetic (maybe apathetic?) portraits of managers who tried without success to turn alter the trajectory of the club. Geoff Hurst must have seemed baffled by the lack of talent at his disposal and never really “got the club”, Danny Blanchflower was probably too nice, but Bobby Gould taking over was like “lunatics taking over the asylum”.  Players too often seemed like characters merely flitting on and off the stage, never delivering the goods: Duncan McKenzie, Eamonn Bannon, Phil Driver, and many others all promised but never achieved much.

It wasn’t until John Neal’s run as manager that the “rebirth” happened. His signings include many who were to become favourites at the time and remained so after their departure; Kerry Dixon, Pat Nevin, David Speedie and Mickey Thomas. Neal had to retire with ill-health after getting a top-six finish in Div. 1, but his tenure was certainly enough for Chelsea to be regarded, at least temporarily, as a major London club again. 

Will this book appeal to non-Chelsea fans? Probably not, but its very personal style may reach an audience amongst Stamford Bridge denizens.

• 3 weeks later...

Potter, Hopcutt, and a desk in East London

George Mallett

Pitch Publishing 2023

Hardback  224pp  £16.99

It’s been five years since Graham Potter left Swedish club Ostersunds FK. Since then he helped stabilise Swansea City, rebuilt Brighton into a top-ten Premier League team, and became Chelsea manager. The author, writing in February this year, recognised that expecting that to continue Had “inherent risks”, and, just two months later, he was sacked from the Stamford Bridge job. This story, however, is really about that period up to 2018, when the solid but not outstanding York City defender moved into coaching and took a club from the third tier of Swedish football into the topflight and European competition.

It's told from the perspective of a York fan (first game as a youngster in 2001) who held on to his affiliation after university and whilst living and working in London, getting to matches when the Minstermen, by now in the Conference, travelled south.  It used to be that exiles could keep in touch through their local paper; many have now become defunct or are published from offices well away from their readership. So, the “York Press” was an invaluable source of titbits about City and related topics. Ex-player news was a useful seam of copy and so it was that Potter’s Swedish saga began to seep into the author’s life. Osterunds had another former Yorkie: Jamie Hopcutt had been let go from hometown Bootham Crescent in 2010, gone semi-pro but did well in a trial match (at Warwick University) for Ostersunds and so ended up in the “Winter City”.  The summer playing season in Sweden provided good copy for the Press and the interest of the exiled York fan was well and truly piqued.

Somewhat bored by his job and not really into conversations about London football, he and his fellow York exile James, grew more and more absorbed by the advance of Ostersunds. Against many odds the team won the Swedish Cup (“Svenska Cupen) in 2017 and the UEFA Cup beckoned. Their Group included Athletic Bilbao, Hertha Berlin, and Zoryha Luhansk, intriguing “away” trips for York fans who were unlikely to get there with their own club. It’s here that the narrative expands into much more than a series of match reports and develops into perceptive pieces on the culture and history of such clubs, intertwined with a travelogue getting to and from theses destinations and friendships forged across the continent. The excitement of success for the rank outsiders is enjoyed, culminating in reaching the Round of 32 and the subsequent tie against Arsenal. For these London-based Ostersunds’ supporters this was almost a dream come true. The sheer pleasure of the two matches cannot be hidden, even if the First Leg was a 3-0 win for the Gunners on the artificial pitch halfway up Sweden.  Part of what was the biggest away following that the Swedes had had outside their own country, the author and friends joined with 5000 other watch the team made up of other clubs ‘discards win the return 2-1, winning at the Emirates even if the European journey was over.

At the end of the book there’s a chapter on what happened next to the squad. Hopcutt moved to another Swedish club, then to Israel before, arriving back in England for an injury-hit season with Oldham Athletic.  Currently he’s with IFK Mariehamm in Finland whilst some of his former teammates are dotted around the globe too.

The book itself sums up what it’s about – it’s “an ode to the underdog.an invigorating reminder of the power of football fandom to provide the perfect escape”.

Edited by LaticsPete

• 3 weeks later...

Fortune’s Always Hiding

Paul Brand

Pitch Publishing 2023

Hardback 350pp £18.99

Timing is everything. So, writing a book about West Ham with a central theme of absence from winning anything was probably tempting fate. Cue the victory in Prague and European success. Not that the author will feel miffed about having a plank pulled out from underneath much of his narrative. A long-term Hammers’ supporter, even if uprooted to Chester, he may well have preferred the win over Fiorentina to his book coming out.

It's a look back over six seasons, from 2015/6 to 2022, although not, apparently, written retrospectively. Many (most?) of the pieces were apparently written for a blog and stand on their merits as being the author’s thoughts on and responses to the events at that time. So, some seem, with hindsight, misplaced or inaccurate, but they do convey the perceptions that were then contemporary. There’s plenty to get his teeth into; individual matches, players, managers, the Board, fellow supporters, and, of course, the move from the Boleyn Ground to what had been the Olympic Stadium. That’s before wider football topics like VAR, foreign ownership, or ticket prices.  It’s written in what is probably as even-handed a manner as any book by a club’s supporter. Whilst, at first, I thought it was going to be a bemoaning of lack of trophies, “poor old West Ham”, it actually recognises some of the stability and well-being of the set-up and contrasts it with what happened at other clubs with their financial mismanagement and chaotic performances. 

There’s a recurring strand of what the move of ground has meant. Did it rip the heart out of the community and history of West Ham? Did it impact upon performances? Is it now accepted? The timeline of the book allows for changing perspectives to be portrayed on this and other issues. So, the same is true of the managers – Bilic, Moyes, Pellegrini, and Allardyce – and a raft of players, some transient, some rocks.  And were James Tarkowski, Nathan Ake , and Andrea Belotti really possible realistic targets that would be beneficial in the January 2022 Transfer Window?  All water under the bridge now but topics that would have been batted about at the time.  Look at any club’s social media over the last few years and what and who seemed crucial and critical then often pale into a sideshow when seen through a rear mirror – “Did we really think that?”.

It's a brave book, intelligently written and even if the West Ham trophy cabinet key has been found and used after many years, still one that is a useful and entertaining window on recent history.

• Thanks 1