The Daily HateMail -vs- The Grauniad

OAFCM35

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

rummy why do you keep referring me back to fullfact.org - the first time you did that it stated that on there findings of information from 3 people that the percentage was anywhere between 15%-50% then we decided from that it could easily be be 15%-75%.. so why should i give that site any creditably based on that ?

In part because harder working, reliable adult Eastern Europeans will work long term for the same money that unreliable, 18/19 year old British kids used to short term before moving on to what they really wanted to do.

You can't blame companies for looking after their own best interests but the social costs will be huge in years to come.

We'd already had a couple of generations of formerly working class people who never worked and now Labour have recruited a load more.

All for a "fairer society".

spot on fella

rummy why do you keep referring me back to fullfact.org - the first time you did that it stated that on there findings of information from 3 people that the percentage was anywhere between 15%-50% then we decided from that it could easily be be 15%-75%.. so why should i give that site any creditably based on that ?

Full Fact is an independent factchecking organisation. We provide free tools, information and advice, so that anyone can check the claims we hear from politicians and the media.

Since we launched in 2010, nearly every national newspaper — from the Sun to the Financial Times — and politicians from across the political spectrum have issued corrections at our request.

Full Fact has a cross party board of Trustees with extensive experience in politics, business and the media. Our work has been used by people of all parties, and our research has appeared in a range of media outlets. We link to all our sources so that people can judge issues for themselves.

By the same token, why do you keep referring me to the Torygraph, Mail or Huffpo? We're both looking at the same data, however I'm trying to keep it independent, and not quote the Guardian to your Mail, Express or whatever because that won't work at all. I don't want to fulfill your profile of me as a lefty pinko liberal that only reads the G. Far from it, both sets of papers have their agenda - as do the people that read them.

Fullfact actually mentioned that the Mail described the figures correctly, however your Mail source written by the banker (can't remember his name) ignored the fact that the ONS figures included British Nationals abroad in the foreign numbers. Fullfact complained to the PCC at the time, and has repeatedly asked the ONS to highlight this as it could be misinterpreted.

Secondly, if I hadn't have cited Fullfact earlier, the 75% EU law figure would have remained unchecked and you wouldn't of understood that some of the laws don't mean :censored: anyways.

Not to speak on his behalf, but that is a fundamental part of statistical analysis. You have a single source that matches you view and you stick to it. That site takes your source and others and breaks down the constituting parts to provide a summary, in effect.

Just because a number is more defined does not by any means make it more accurate.

In part because harder working, reliable adult Eastern Europeans will work long term for the same money that unreliable, 18/19 year old British kids used to short term before moving on to what they really wanted to do.

You can't blame companies for looking after their own best interests but the social costs will be huge in years to come.

We'd already had a couple of generations of formerly working class people who never worked and now Labour have recruited a load more.

All for a "fairer society".

That's a huge amount of conclusions. I don't know many teenagers that are still in the same career twenty or thirty years down the line, I'd like to know what the average job life span is, five years max? However, I've employed people for unskilled roles from all ages and from all over the world - and in my experience, the kids have been the more reliable and hard working from day one to about two years into their contracts. If I have to be honest the slackers are the mature employees that have been in their posts the longest, and have to be managed the most or manged out.

Yea but your missing the fact that 50% of the jobs advertised on there are British.. Surely that equates to one thing

That the UK job market has more jobs available in the first place?

I grant you, I think sometimes we appear to be a soft touch and perhaps are too dynamic when it comes to applying EU projects (though I know personally that we also benefit from billions of pounds of research funding that is dished out by the EU, because we are geared up to get it).

It seems though that the government is making improvements, as per your Cameron article, which means the problem has lessened and so we don't need to leave the EU after all.

Edited by jimsleftfoot

By the same token, why do you keep referring me to the Torygraph, Mail or Huffpo? We're both looking at the same data, however I'm trying to keep it independent, and not quote the Guardian to your Mail, Express or whatever because that won't work at all. I don't want to fulfill your profile of me as a lefty pinko liberal that only reads the G. Far from it, both sets of papers have their agenda - as do the people that read them.

Fullfact actually mentioned that the Mail described the figures correctly, however your Mail source written by the banker (can't remember his name) ignored the fact that the ONS figures included British Nationals abroad in the foreign numbers. Fullfact complained to the PCC at the time, and has repeatedly asked the ONS to highlight this as it could be misinterpreted.

Secondly, if I hadn't have cited Fullfact earlier, the 75% EU law figure would have remained unchecked and you wouldn't of understood that some of the laws don't mean :censored: anyways.

Good points well made

That's a huge amount of conclusions. I don't know many teenagers that are still in the same career twenty or thirty years down the line, I'd like to know what the average job life span is, five years max? However, I've employed people for unskilled roles from all ages and from all over the world - and in my experience, the kids have been the more reliable and hard working from day one to about two years into their contracts. If I have to be honest the slackers are the mature employees that have been in their posts the longest, and have to be managed the most or manged out.

I'm talking more about people I live near, know and/or am related to - who would have been factory fodder in years gone by rather than careerists