Facebook Harakiri

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously considering Facebook harakiri. A former Friend of mine described it as incredibly liberating.

I'm worried about not knowing what people whom I haven't seen for 25 years are having for tea.

Thoughts? Can a person quit Facebook and still lead a meaningful life?

You can be on Facebook but not of Facebook.

I'm fairly sure I've left some sackable offences on Faceache. That's something else to weigh in the balance.

I quite enjoy talking about this stuff (me, nerdy, who knew?). I am a user, as you well know, but as Bosch said you can try to avoid it being a burden. That said I am by no means an advocate and know many people who don't use it at all or very minimally (Alex for example doesn't use his much).

Like so many things Faceache is what you make of it, ultimately it's a tool and you can avoid the worst parts through simple steps. Equally you can quickly get drawn in to the petulant bickerings and posting things in the hope people will Like them. Ultimately that says more about a person than it does the tool they're using for the process.

Tips I would give you to improve it:

1. Get AdBlock Plus (google it, it's an add on for Chrome/Firefox/Safari/IE which blocks ads - including most of the junk on FB)

2. Remove anyone you don't know.

3. Remove anyone you don't like. If you have that person who's constantly moaning about how :censored: their life is in that inimitable way Facebook allows - delete them, or at least use the properties to stop their posts appearing on your list.

NB: If you're worried about offending people you remove you can create a group (mine's called "limited") and deny it permissions to see anything... so they still have your profile pic and basic details but not your posts/comments/photos.

4. Don't post. Any time you think about posting a comment just don't do it. If you're posting something it should be constructive and interesting (I break my own rule, but it does reduce the amount I do post) rather than just the random :censored: going through your head that day.

5. Add groups you like, bin any you don't and limit access to all of them (in settings). I have science threads, music updates, Londonist and Timout-London are brilliant for making sure you don't miss things at the

There's probably more I can't think of. Ultimately, from a personal perspective, I'd miss out on a lot if I removed it as it's a communication tool for many of the social things we organise as a group. If that's not for you and it's just noise then sure - bin it off.

Facebook is quite a useful tool if you use it smartly. I'd agree with everything Ackey says. It's fantastic for keeping up to date with news, sports, music and gigs etc., aswell as friends.

One thing I would ask though, when you set someone to 'I don't want to see this person on my feed', can that person then see your updates?

Facebook is quite a useful tool if you use it smartly. I'd agree with everything Ackey says. It's fantastic for keeping up to date with news, sports, music and gigs etc., aswell as friends.

One thing I would ask though, when you set someone to 'I don't want to see this person on my feed', can that person then see your updates?

Yes they can - you can change that in their profile by moving them to a "limited" group like I mentioned above...

Not to mention the ice bucket challenges and helpful suggestions for alternatives.

The ice bucket challenge was a low point for Faceache. I got to thinking, "You don't really know me" about people who supposedly do. I'm therefore writing lists of ten things I don't really care about.

Suicide is very much back on the table, now I think about it.

Suicide is very much back on the table, now I think about it.

It's certainly a preferable option to getting into bed with Jeremy Clarkson. Which I wasn't aware was what people are doing instead of the ice bucket challenge. Thanks, Facebook.

Raised hundreds of thousand pounds for a very worthwhile charity.. Terrible thing them ice bucket challenges wasn't they

Millions of pounds and a great cause. They were exceptionally flawed, however. The majority of those most well known events (ie celebrity ones) took place in California where there is the worst drought in living memory.

earth20140225-full.jpg

• 5 months later...

Let me know when you next want a picture of London from above and I'll post them in here, just for you! :wink:

Will do. My sister suggested building a new profile that can't be traced to me.

One reason why I've ditched it is the sackable offences I've committed on there, coupled with some recent underhand trade union activities that have attracted management ire. I'm not sure about their level of nastiness but I'm erring on the side of caution. I'm :censored:ed if I'm getting fired because of Faceache.