James McClean letter to Dave Whelan

OAFCM35

The poppy lost its meaning decades ago and is now a symbol of support for British Armed Forces, not unsimilar to that help for heroes bull:censored:.

So yeah, :censored: the poppy and :censored: the army. If someone wants to go and leave their family to fight in a foreign land for rich white man's cause, then they are asking for everything that comes to them.

The fact someone has to come out an explain their decision not to wear a poppy, in fear of backlash shows how insane society is.

Edited by PlayItLivo

The poppy lost its meaning decades ago and is now a symbol of support for British Armed Forces, not unsimilar to that help for heroes bull:censored:.

So yeah, :censored: the poppy and :censored: the army. If someone wants to go and leave their family to fight in a foreign land for rich white man's cause, then they are asking for everything that comes to them.

The fact someone has to come out an explain their decision not to wear a poppy, in fear of backlash shows how insane society is.

What an ungrateful bastard you are

This is tricky territory (and therefore good fishing territory). The eulogy for my Aunt today included a mention of her approaching a Grenadier Guardsman walking over to her house after the war and asking him if he was her dad. It was. He had signed up as a soldier in peacetime, became a copper then back to the Army when war came. His dad joined up at the start of WW1. Jammy :censored: came all the way through and ended as Company SM with the Military Medal for action in 1914. My great uncle Tommy left Classics studies at Dublin University to fight for independence after the British shelled Dublin post office. He died in the Irish civil war of 1922. I've seen with my own eyes people coming in after a random beating from the UDA in the bad old days. People I know and value have served with distinction in the Forces since, including several on here. It's fair to say that if you've signed up for any sort of combat unit in the last 10 or more years you must have had some idea what might be coming.

My point?

I don't have one. Just that the world is rarely black and white, even in wartime. I'm not big on the poppy thing but I hope to see the Tower thing and it may inspire me to make a donation to something I feel will benefit the future or the present

What an ungrateful bastard you are

Ungrateful for what?

What's the point of donating a quid and wearing a poppy for a week a year if the world isn't going to learn from bloodshed and loss of life in that war?

The poppy was suppose to reminder of all those that died in WW1 and a reminder that such loss of life should never be repeated. "Never Again", that's what the poppy is suppose to mean. War only benefits one people, bankers, the ones the run our economy, yet these bankers don't pick up the guns themselves and go into battle, it's always the people, the men with families who are told to pick up a gun and kill other men, other men with families, under somebody else's orders, and these orders get passed down by many, many other men from the only people that profit from war. There is no difference between soldiers on opposing sides, none are more evil than the other, they are both out to kill other men for somebody else's purpose.

War is senseless and immoral. The millions of people who died in that war are examples of that. Instead of pretending to remember once a year, why don't we really learn the lessons from those wars and lay down our arms? Why don't we refuse to fight somebody else's battle? Without men wanting to kill other men, there can be no war.

Edited by PlayItLivo

I wear a poppy to remember those who went to war and died because they more-or-less had no choice.

I'm sure those men would have much preferred to die for peace, than a paper poppy and church service once a year.

I get the sentiment. But they all died for nothing if the scale of the travesties and deaths doesnt deter men for signing up for war, men who as you alluded to have far more freedom and far more reason to say no.

Edited by PlayItLivo

Poppies don't demand anything is a show of appreciation, plenty of people wear them and if you asked them if they are forced to wear them they would laugh at you, plenty of people choose not to wear them again it's a choice.

Let's not argue about it today, today is a day to remember the those you selflessly gave there lives so we could live ours.

"at the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."