Phil Hughes (Aussie cricketer) in an induced coma

I know this isn't the time or the place but...this could change cricket. We might look back on the days of bouncers with a somewhat heavy heart, knowing now what we didn't really appreciate then.

Sport is dangerous. Rugby's loss is wheelchair basketball's gain. Public marathons have a decent death toll, motor racing and boxing speak for themselves . Good if it improves the equipment but I hope a freak tragedy doesn't ruin a crucial aspect of a game played and watched by millions.

Sport is dangerous. Rugby's loss is wheelchair basketball's gain. Public marathons have a decent death toll, motor racing and boxing speak for themselves . Good if it improves the equipment but I hope a freak tragedy doesn't ruin a crucial aspect of a game played and watched by millions.

Who's gonna bowl the next short ball at the grill? Who's gonna take it on?

Who's going to throw the next punch or pack down for the next scrum? I know what you mean, most top fast bowlers are bastards who hate the bloke they are bowling at, but that's competitive sport.

Who's going to throw the next punch or pack down for the next scrum? I know what you mean, most top fast bowlers are bastards who hate the bloke they are bowling at, but that's competitive sport.

S'pose so, but cricket's different in the sense that most of the players are already thinking: "This is ridiculous. Why am I here?"

I haven't seen the highlights from yesterday, but were there none in the ODI? If England can't bowl short they're buggered!

Plastic flap at the back of the helmet like an ice hockey goalie's neckguard and that's all that's needed. Freak, tragic accident.

Edited by jsslatic

The less said about OAFCM35's post the better here.....

Tragic situation this. A freak incident, a pure accident.

I hope there is no knee jerk reaction from the authorities here, and they don't ban short bowling or the like. A slight modification to the helmets is all that is needed here IMO.

RIP Phil Hughes.

In a world that contains some very good TV sports broadcasters Benaud has always stood out for me. This encapsulates why. He just engages people. I wish he hadn't had to make it though.

This. Richie Benaud has more class leave his body when taking a piss than Andy Townsend has ever had.