Barry Owen

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's on the board, and no doubt would stay there regardless if the Trust gave him a vote of no confidence or whatever.

In my eyes the 'fans rep' thing expired a long while ago, he appears to pays lip service to it at best these days.

He has just used his position on the trust to weed his way into a board position.

The more time has passed the more SC has used him as pawn in situations like this.

He has happily gone along with this because it gives him the kudos of being associated with the club at board level that he craves.

Well SC , if you want him at board level as your puppet then fine but he must step aside as the "Fans voice" because he isn't

Enough is enough now with Barry. Someone said to me today he's the Sepp Blatter of Latics and they are exactly right!

Please can someone from the Trust explain how we can remove this plank from tarnishing the name of our club any further? Will this require some financial input from an individual and stand for some sort of election?

We need a fans representative who does exactly that, represent the consensus of our view, not this self promoting idiot.

To be Fair, I do want to know if Barry did warn against this, given his form in LEe Hughes, I would be astounded if he did. But he might have been approached to do it. He should have said he was not prepared to do it, and that they would be significant fan rebellion.

I would welcome a statement from the Trust, and from Barry in particular.

If it's true that Lee Johnson's disgust at the proposed deal has been ignored by Corney and Owen, then this is the last straw. They must be removed. The position is even more obscene if we find that Mike Ashley, of zero-hours and Wonga-sponsorship fame, has assured Corney that the money from sportsdirect will continue if Evans is signed, as is reported this morning. This shameful episode must not even be forgotten. Not only have we become a moral cess-pit, but it's not even good business. It would destroy us. Yet another "business decision" by Corney that will cost the club dear, and not just in financial loss this time. (I thought that Owen represented the views of the fans? If we lose Johnson because of the two idiots running the club, then God help us.)

Trust board (i.e. directors) is elected by trust members - a certain number must re-stand at each AGM (not very visible who is up next, but doubt Barry is on the chopping block, as that'd be too easy)

"Fans rep" is elected by trust board

So, to change the fans rep, you either need to ensure the elected directors vote accordingly, or replace them with ones that will.

No con, just a process.

Until the constitution is posted online, it's hard to say what the various %s are, but there's tons of stuff on the supporter's direct website if anyone wants to go searching.

If it transpires that Barry had significant involvement in the Evans deal then his position as a representative of the fans at board level is untenable. Corney values his input at board level and may wish to keep him on in that capacity but Barry hasn't spoken for me as a fan for a long time.

As a member of the trust I do not see the chairman having any credibility regarding Trust Oldham matters and should now step aside and allow someone with the long term future of the club at heart a chance to lead the trust.

Any person who has a position of representing the average fan at a significant level within the club or the trust should have taken note of the overwhelming sense of unease with pursuing any contact with Evans, Barry has failed to do that and as such should for the good of the trust and the club step down as chairman of the trust and relinquish any notion of being a fans representative.

Spot on really Beag; couldn't have put it better myself and sums up my thoughts succinctly and eloquently on this matter.

If it's true that Lee Johnson's disgust at the proposed deal has been ignored by Corney and Owen, then this is the last straw. They must be removed. The position is even more obscene if we find that Mike Ashley, of zero-hours and Wonga-sponsorship fame, has assured Corney that the money from sportsdirect will continue if Evans is signed, as is reported this morning. This shameful episode must not even be forgotten. Not only have we become a moral cess-pit, but it's not even good business. It would destroy us. Yet another "business decision" by Corney that will cost the club dear, and not just in financial loss this time. (I thought that Owen represented the views of the fans? If we lose Johnson because of the two idiots running the club, then God help us.)

Are you plugging the gap when the board step aside then.

Is the new stand paying for itself then ? I'm presuming with an on going construction project that our crowds of around 4000 are not covering that, I may be wrong though.

I'd say the only reason SC contemplated signing a convicted rapist was to make a quick buck, it could of been a desperate attempt to generate some cash flow and says to me we could be in a spot of trouble financially.

Regardless of whether we sign him, Barry is a fans representative on the board. He should represent the fans views. Has he even discussed this with members of the trust to gauge an opinion? To be honest, if SC wants him on the board he should give him a position, and then he can stop pretending to be a fans representative, and we can have an actual voice on the board, rather than someone pretending to be one.

Exactly this! ...it's become farcical now. If he is to stay on the board, so be it. But drop the fans representative title.

On something as potentially destructive as the Ched Evans saga, were the fans he represents even consulted to gauge opinion?

A fans' voice is needed in the boardroom, like what was originally intended.

There are only two occasions that I have felt ashamed to be a Latics fan. One was when Wayne Andrews (then playing for Colchester after the meltdown) was racially abused for a solid 90 minutes at Layer Road, and now this.

Two things would push it towards acceptability for me. An acquittal or an admission of guilt accompanied by genuine remorse and a commitment to warn others about the sort of behaviour that brought him to this stage.

As neither is there at the present time I don’t think he should be touched with a bargepole.

I’m also staggered by the board’s apparent claim that they have been surprised by the reaction. Really? Putting aside morals it’s just a stupid business decision on every level with the only possible justification being a gamble that he could score enough to get us promoted – hardly guaranteed.

From a club perspective this is so dangeorus. I don't see how any board member's position is tenable - and where does that leave us?

There are only two occasions that I have felt ashamed to be a Latics fan. One was when Wayne Andrews (then playing for Colchester after the meltdown) was racially abused for a solid 90 minutes at Layer Road, and now this.

Two things would push it towards acceptability for me. An acquittal or an admission of guilt accompanied by genuine remorse and a commitment to warn others about the sort of behaviour that brought him to this stage.

As neither is there at the present time I don’t think he should be touched with a bargepole.

I’m also staggered by the board’s apparent claim that they have been surprised by the reaction. Really? Putting aside morals it’s just a stupid business decision on every level with the only possible justification being a gamble that he could score enough to get us promoted – hardly guaranteed.

From a club perspective this is so dangeorus. I don't see how any board member's position is tenable - and where does that leave us?

Well said Dave.

Suprised by the reaction, that really is poor.

As SC is not going anywhere soon, the other members of the Board are in a very culpable position.

As mentioned before, the simple solution to this is to form a breakaway supporters group. True fans' representation through democratically elected roles.

Anyone?

It's far from simple. No money, and no acccess to that position on the Board.

The more i hear about this Evans saga the more convinced i am that is has been a one man crusade to yet again try and get a leg up the Latics boardroom.

This guy is just out to improve his own position and has just used the so called position of "Fans voice" to enhance that position.

Only a concerted effort and online protest made known to the board will have any effect on his position.

I have very little time for Barry and his attitude towards the fans but this isn't fair. This situation didn't progress to this stage without backing higher up the pecking order than Barry; Corney is every bit as responsible, more so in fact.

We don't know the facts - and probably never will - all I will say is that Corney has always had my admiration for keeping the club going. Owen has only ever struck me as being in it for his owns ends. He loves the limelight and 'status' - always has and always will - in it for himself NOT the club, in my opinion.

Even they're not stupid enough to be surprised. They saw what happened when Sheff Utd were rumoured to be re-signing him a couple of months ago; a child could have predicted a repeat of that, especially given the press attention that our earlier meeting with him and Ronnie Moore's interest got.