Johnson to Barnsley

• Replies 834
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Stanley30

If I was Johnson I would take it. Your never gonna progress at a club like Oldham. We will be in this division for many more years to come, with a brand new empty stand and 3000 hardy souls watching. He will have a bigger budget and chance at Barnsley, the further he aims up the ladder, the better. He can always come back down to us in a few years if it doesn't work out. He's a bright young English manager who should aim for bigger and better. Good luck Lee

I'm sure I heard somewhere that odds on managerial placements are significantly less reliable than the average as so few people actually bet on them. As a result it takes only one or two larger bets to cause a massive sway in the odds.

Maybe I'm a little bit late to the thread with this contribution given most recent replies, he's not gone just yet though!

I'd be gutted if it happens.

But it seems a strange move at this time. He's been able to build a team here, and not lose anyone in January, which has a chance of making the playoffs. I can't see how staying until the end of the season will make his stock drop significantly and he has the chance to achieve something very impressive for his CV. Barnsley probably have a bigger status and infrastructure than us but at present it's a sideways move at best, where he'll have to turn around a sinking ship. I think he could do better anyway.

Money will probably talk, but there's a decent chance that LJ will look back in 12 months time and regret the change.

Edited by the_mighty_bosh

Anyone who thinks moving from us to Barnsley is a sideways step is delusional...

I am delusional, but that's besides the point.

If Barnsley stay up and we stay down then it would be a step up, but this is a Barnsley team that's been in the bottom half for the majority of the season and has just lost 5-1 to Crawley ffs! It's not a quick fix job for anyone.

Barnsley are a club with ambition to be back in the Championship. They have everything set up to be a Championship side, plus the money to get them out of this league. It's not a sideways step at best because out of Latics and Barnsley they're by far the most likely to get promoted in the future. Oldham are a declining club with an owner that wants out and a town that won't back the team even at basement prices.

However leaving us during this season, where we're in contention to finish in the play offs, while he has potentially 40 years left in management, would be unforgiveable to me; this isn't a playing career where you have a limited time span. The lure of Barnsley isn't so irresistible, in comparison to his situation here and now at Latics, that he can't say no. By the end of the season at least he won't be in any worse a position in management than he currently is.

Johnson will only go if Corney thinks it's financially worthwhile and LJ agrees to go to Barnsley.

Any approach for LJ would have been made to Corney and relayed to LJ if the offer was valuable enough and fitted in with any other options or commitments for the club.

LJ has been quoted as saying, in effect, that it's up to Oldham if they accept any approach. He did not say he didn't want to go to Barnsley or it was a rumour he knew nothing about.

It may be a storm in a teacup but something is going on. So far nothing has been denied and money talks.

I hope it's a storm in a teacup