New Manager thread.

Funny that...it doesnt matter as gets respect from everyone in football as can walk the walk. Doesnt have to have a three year contract and 100 day plan. Let his team talk. Prefer that to some flashy talker who isn't that good with the players. Any player who cant learn from Scholes conduct in football isnt worth having.

True, you won't get many theories or dossiers from Scholes, he will see it as it is immediately and think on his feet.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scholes would be disasterous I feel.Yes, nice sexy bit of PR, good connections with Man United but - and call it a hunch - a great player does not a good manager make. He doesn't know the division and it would act as more of a short-term buzz rather than for the long haul. A line of coke and :censored: all else.

Managers I'd be tempted with:

Richard Money - Amazing track record at this level and below. Gets his teams up at the right end of the table and will have superb knowledge of lower league gems. Had a little slump this season but possibly distracted by an FA Cup run.

Gary Johnson - Remove the last 12 months at Yeovil where rot had set in. Great CV and I think most Latics fans would welcome him.

John Askey - An under the radar job. Has done an incredible job at Macclesfield turning them from sinking out of the Conference to challenging for promotion. May take some convincing from latics fans, and he is a one club man but he'd be a cheap appointment and we like cheap.

John Hughes - Had a tough time cutting his teeth at managerial level, sacked from Hibs and Hartlepool. But he's turned Inverness Caley into a Scottish Premiership force. Could get him just at the right time.

Why does Paul Scholes have a divine right to manage the club at his own will?

Good player and an occasional attendee doesn't mean he will have any skill in management.

We need a manager that can come in straight away, because we aren't gonna maintain a push with Holden and Lockwood as managers. It will extenuate the negativity of the Johnson loss.

Edited by NewBlue

Why does Paul Scholes have a divine right to manage the club at his own will?

Good player and an occasional attendee doesn't mean he will have any skill in management.

Easy to compare him to someone like Roy Keane in the sense of being a first time manager, his name alone will be very attractive to potential employers.

My hunch would be that he is perfectly content doing what he's currently doing.

Edited by deyres42

Oliver Kay says that Scholes told him he'd like to give management a go last season, however that was before his punditry job, and I'm sure the wage for that will be enormous compared to anything he'd receive at Latics.

Still it shows that he does have a genuine desire to pursue the career, and I do have a feeling that there may be more to come from this story. If he's going to start anywhere you'd think it'd be at Oldham. I'd happily see him take the reigns at the club providing he goes through the same process as any other first-time manager does. I'm sure players would love to be coached by a player as great as Scholes.

If there was ever a right time for him to start it's now. We've got nothing to lose - we won't be relegated and promotion is hardly in our grasp - and 15 games is a good number to test the water for him.

I'm open to it, and the thought of Winchester playing under Scholes is rather exciting!