New Manager thread.

I think that the comments by Gary Johnson on the FLS would indicate clearly that under the Financial Fair Play rules we are a tough prospect.

LJ clearly left for the bigger budget that Barnsley could offer.

Gary hinted that he is looking for a club that can compete under the rules.

Why would any other managers be different?

I think we will be stuck with newbies looking to get some experience (preferable IMO) or desperate failures. Anyone we a decent record my feel that they are better waiting for a bigger budget than risk tarnishing their reputation with us?

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That Neil Aspin has a win % record of 62% at Halifax (Apr 2009- present)

Played 247 won 153 drawn 51 lost 43.

Plus three promotions. That's a seriously good record. I always thought he was a hard bastard as a player, something we needed at the time.

He's got to be a favourite.

Thinking about it, I wouldn't mind Darren Ferguson. Assistance from his dad, no doubt S** Alex will be watching most weeks with scholes ... Man Ure contacts? Its his dads empire after all. But what caught my eye is DF has an eye for lower league talent. Look at Aaron Maclean, Craig Mackail Smith, George Boyd to name a few from a wide list.

Thinking about it, I wouldn't mind Darren Ferguson. Assistance from his dad, no doubt S** Alex will be watching most weeks with scholes ... Man Ure contacts? Its his dads empire after all. But what caught my eye is DF has an eye for lower league talent. Look at Aaron Maclean, Craig Mackail Smith, George Boyd to name a few from a wide list.

Look what happened when North End fired him, Fergie Snr recalled any players on loan and never sent anymore!

I think that the comments by Gary Johnson on the FLS would indicate clearly that under the Financial Fair Play rules we are a tough prospect.

LJ clearly left for the bigger budget that Barnsley could offer.

Gary hinted that he is looking for a club that can compete under the rules.

Why would any other managers be different?

I think we will be stuck with newbies looking to get some experience (preferable IMO) or desperate failures. Anyone we a decent record my feel that they are better waiting for a bigger budget than risk tarnishing their reputation with us?

Interesting thought that FFP is now such a big issue for both the Johnsons.

I remember when he arrived he talked a lot about how by identifying talent well (moneyball theory etc) and with good coaching he could negate the advantage that bigger clubs had under FFP. And he kept quoting the example of how his Dad got Yeovil up on the lowest budget in the division.

Now, all of a sudden FFP is an insurmountable problem for both of them.

But them players still cost money to sign for them

Interesting thought that FFP is now such a big issue for both the Johnsons.

I remember when he arrived he talked a lot about how by identifying talent well (moneyball theory etc) and with good coaching he could negate the advantage that bigger clubs had under FFP. And he kept quoting the example of how his Dad got Yeovil up on the lowest budget in the division.

Now, all of a sudden FFP is an insurmountable problem for both of them.

Spot on.

Sick of hearing the bleating about FFP, teams have always upset the odds and always will.

Yeah but the money he paid for that lower league talent could pay for our squad 2 times over. I don't think the 3 you mention were unknown talents when he signed them?

The point of the new stand and the income from it is that it will allow us to compete under FFP! With a little patience LJ would have still been able to achieve something at Latics where it would have made his name. At Barnsley it's just expected that they should make the Championship.

The point of the new stand and the income from it is that it will allow us to compete under FFP! With a little patience LJ would have still been able to achieve something at Latics where it would have made his name. At Barnsley it's just expected that they should make the Championship.

I think there needs to be a realism about the income benefits of a successful new stand.

Chesterfield, for example, described off-field income as 30% of their revenue. So if repeated at Latics it's the same as increasing crowds from 3,500 to 4,500. On its own it still doesn't compete with the "mighty" Barnsley.

I can't be arsed researching but can someone sum up in a nutshell this FFP?!

Is it based solely on ST income hence reflecting support in numbers or based on total annual income?

Therefore if a sugar daddy came along and boosted our sponsorship by £2 million a year by their company being added to shirts etc then our budget rises by £2 million per annum?!

I can't be arsed researching but can someone sum up in a nutshell this FFP?!

Is it based solely on ST income hence reflecting support in numbers or based on total annual income?

Therefore if a sugar daddy came along and boosted our sponsorship by £2 million a year by their company being added to shirts etc then our budget rises by £2 million per annum?!

Wage spend as a percentage of turnover.

So a £2m sponsorship by "Corney Enterptises" would allow us to spend more on wages.

Neil AspEn (think its Neil Aspin, Halifax manager) come from nowhere to 6/1 with skybet. Alan Irvine now 3rd fav.

Someone on Twitter has put a £25 bet, with Sky Bet, on Uwe Rosler at 25/1. His odds have now dropped to 10/1. A very fluid market.

I was a understandably a bit drunk last night but sure I remember seeing someone on twitter being quite loud linking Bolton's Ian Worthington. We've forged a relationship with Bolton, through Wilkinson, and guess it's another young guy with all the badges and some coaching pedigree. Someone like this would excite me more than an older manager with experience. We won't be able to afford or attract the experienced managers that are actually any good. So it would be a manager experienced in failure. Shudder at the thought of Danny Wilson. Nigel Adkins the clear pic, has shown he can compete with a small budget too from his time at Scunny. But he's one of many that will be looking at Coventry and Peterborough, or higher. I'd prefer a young, hungry coach that will gain the confidence of players with new training methods and increasing their fitness and performance levels; not an older bloke who'll grind out three ugly wins, then just bollock the players and say how rubbish they are to the press, and then waste what little money we have overhauling the whole squad and bringing in a load of old journeyman mates. We have to have someone that can coach and improve players. We can't afford great players so we have to be able make good players great through coaching, and thereby be able to make money off some of them so we survive also.

If someone can clarify as I can't be bothered to search myself...this Aspin fellow, are most of his wins whilst Halifax coast to easy promotions against the Dog and Duck?

I think he played in Vale sides that competed in promotions and play-offs, so I'd assume he knows what a successful dressing room should be like.

While I've not checked recently, Halifax are doing ok and attract decent crowds.

He wouldn't be a bad shout. Would he?

My problem with Aspin is I couldn't stand him as a player, I guess I need to get over it!

It's got to the point where I'd gladly take several managers I've never been able to stand - Holloway, Aspin, Bacon Face Jr., Billy Davies....

Not Martin Allen though, he can still :censored: off..