New Manager thread.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's a very well respected coach.

But West Brom were dire under him.

And his summer signings were dire too.

And has he managed a 'poor' club before?

But he'll be extremely eager to succeed and prove himself after recent failures.

Tbf they weren't his signings as he was working under a DoF

Tbf they weren't his signings as he was working under a DoF

That's a very good point.

The model fell apart once Dan Ashworth left for the FA. Irvine probably didn't get who he wanted.

Now Pulis is in, his say goes - they've just left the 'head coach' title in there to hide the extent of the climb down.

We need the right man (or woman). There is no rush. 6th place was just a dream. Three wins for safety so the cheapest 'right' appointment is what will happen. Still think it will be 'none of the above'.

Edited by Hands on

The Chron quotes Corney saying the club has received applications from 70 serious candidates. On Johnson’s departure, Corney says that the desire to leave trumps all at every level of the modern game. “It was always in Lee’s hands. This is how it works now”.

http://oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news-features/10/oldham-athletic-news/90547/corney-well-take-our-time-finding-new-manager

We need the right man (or woman). There is no rush. 6th place was just a dream. Three wins for safety so the cheapest 'right' appointment is what will happen. Still think it will be 'none of the above'.

A dream that was very much achievable 3 weeks ago, but now seems a million miles away. The right appointment needs making asap, before we lose the next 3 and we end up in our annual relegation scrap. As a fan, I want success, not mid table mediocracy, or just staying afloat in a league. Corney stopped any chance of success when he let Barnsley speak to our manager & agreed what appears to be a pathetic fee, the only way he can correct this is by getting someone who can still take us into the playoffs with this squad, as this year is as close as we are going to get in a topsy turvy division.

Edit: Corneys comment of 'I dont feel we are in any danger' sums us up. We shouldnt have been even discussing relegation this season. We are desperately in danger of missing out on our best finish in years.

Edited by youngen

A dream that was very much achievable 3 weeks ago, but now seems a million miles away. The right appointment needs making asap, before we lose the next 3 and we end up in our annual relegation scrap. As a fan, I want success, not mid table mediocracy, or just staying afloat in a league. Corney stopped any chance of success when he let Barnsley speak to our manager & agreed what appears to be a pathetic fee, the only way he can correct this is by getting someone who can still take us into the playoffs with this squad, as this year is as close as we are going to get in a topsy turvy division.

Edit: Corneys comment of 'I dont feel we are in any danger' sums us up. We shouldnt have been even discussing relegation this season. We are desperately in danger of missing out on our best finish in years.

Yeah 'cos we were flying under Johnson wern't we. 2 weeks of those 3 weeks were under Johnson.

Just think what would have happened if we had refused Barnsley?

This is the same Johnson that was under contract but applying for other positions. THere was no way he was going to honour that entire contract. We got money that we would not have had he walked.

And even if Corney let him speak(he may have been contractually obliged to do so) it was still Johnsons choice to go for the interview and accept the job and walk out on us as we were so close to the "dream"

And if you think that I am talking like this since Johnson left, alled his position untenable on on 5th Jan after his statement about Up to the Board; the day after the Ched Evans story broke. I was accused of having a personal vendetta at the time. Despite comparing him to Joe Royle often enough leading up to it.

Edited by singe

Sounds like, providing we're picking up points here and there, so as not to get drawn into the relegation battle, Holden will see out the season. Essentially, Corney and co have written off any hopes of making the playoffs.

If we have 70 serious applications, then that gives hope that a new manager could be sooner. Of course, only about 3 or 4 of them would be interesting to us fans.

If we rush into the appointment though we can get the wrong man. Do you want us to bring in someone who 6 months down the line we have to sack and we are stuck with a load of his duff signings. Then have to bring someone else in who will need another 12 months to get it right atleast.

The decision of which manager we appoint could have a big impact on the clubs short and medium term future so we must get it right just because Corney says he's taking his time doesn't mean he's sitting back and doing nothing. We need to be thorough and if that means that we don't have success this season that's how it has to be for the clubs long term benefit.

It does suck considering where we were setting ourselves up after the Swindon victory for an exciting end to the season. Unfortunately for Corney he has to spend most of his time making the least lousy decison for Oldham Athletic.

Edited by GlossopLatic

If we rush into the appointment though we can get the wrong man. Do you want us to bring in someone who 6 months down the line we have to sack and we are stuck with a load of his duff signings. Then have to bring someone else in who will need another 12 months to get it right atleast.

The decision of which manager we appoint could have a big impact on the clubs short and medium term future so we must get it right just because Corney says he's taking his time doesn't mean he's sitting back and doing nothing. We need to be thorough and if that means that we don't have success this season that's how it has to be for the clubs long term benefit.

It does suck considering where we were setting ourselves up after the Swindon victory for an exciting end to the season. Unfortunately for Corney he has to spend most of his time making the least lousy decison for Oldham Athletic.

I get that we need some time to appoint, but from the moment Barnsley were given permission, Coreny should have been looking, so we are already a week into him looking for appointments. If it takes 4 weeks, then another 2-3 weeks for a new manager to implement his plans, we could be in the :censored:, rather than being in dream land following thr Swindon game. Its a fine balance, but I for one would welcome a swift appointment, and someone with discipline who can shape these players up to get us the results until the end of the season. Then there is an opportunity to really assess the market & take some time with an appointment. I cant help but feel, the longer we dont have a gaffer, the good buzz & vibes around the club could disappear for good.

I get that we need some time to appoint, but from the moment Barnsley were given permission, Coreny should have been looking, so we are already a week into him looking for appointments. If it takes 4 weeks, then another 2-3 weeks for a new manager to implement his plans, we could be in the :censored:, rather than being in dream land following thr Swindon game. Its a fine balance, but I for one would welcome a swift appointment, and someone with discipline who can shape these players up to get us the results until the end of the season. Then there is an opportunity to really assess the market & take some time with an appointment. I cant help but feel, the longer we dont have a gaffer, the good buzz & vibes around the club could disappear for good.

I think I agree with all you say, but not sure it would disappear for good. A sustained period of good perfornances helps. But yes, too long and we write this season off, and possibly the start of nex season with the inevitable turnover. Of course, we are behind in timescales that is inevitable.

We don't know how far in Corney is at the interview process.

He could have interviewed his preferred canidate already and be ready to announce after Tuesdays's game.

Hell, the preferred candidate could have been at Saturdays game. He may have just been a bit more discreet than Johnson was!

Personally I'd go for the short term thing given our position. Eg, my pick would be Dowie and I'd say come in on a contract til the end of the season, play off bonus, promotion bonus, then sit down again at the end of the season and see if it's the right thing for both parties going forward.

Amazingly we're still in with a great shout of the play offs if (and that's a big if) we can turn the form around very quickly.