New Manager thread.

If we get Holden until end of season or someone of that ilk then, IMO, we are doomed for 4th tier football soon. Really need new owners who have fresh ideas and more importantly, cash. Very disappointed in LJ if he leaves for Barnsley. Understand it, better chance for promotion next season. But some of the things he's said smacks of Dowie leaving for Palace.....!

Nobody other than those who he has worked with has got the slightest idea whether Dean Holden would be a good manager or not...

If he's given the job that would indicate that more knowledgeable football people than me and you think that he could be....

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never said Johnson was good either.

If truth be told, I think we're another bang average side amongst 20 other bang average sides in this division.

We're in with a chance of the playoffs for the first time in years & he'll be the first manager in even longer to leave for a reason other than having been sacked - of course Johnson is good.

We're in with a chance of the playoffs for the first time in years & he'll be the first manager in even longer to leave for a reason other than having been sacked - of course Johnson is good.

Like I said, I think we're bang average. Outside the top 3 or 4, there are no GOOD sides.

Actually Keith Hill would be in my list too, he seems to be able to make a club with no money achieve success as well, and he can certainly pick a striker. One of the few successful managers where it would be a step up to join Latics too.

Like we're in a position to go and pick a manager away from another League One club.

What does Dean Holden bring to the party? We've been defensively horrendous since his appointment and he didn't come across well at all on LP the other week.

Murray is clearly a coach not a manager.

We're a league one team on the edge of the playoffs. Those would be conference appointments.

What doesnt Dean Holden bring to the party? If you dont know yourself how can you argue either way.

If you judge him off an LP interview and probably off his playing career here then are you giving him fair crack?

I not sure i want him but to just rule him out right away is stupid

I wouldn't mind seeing an interim manager until he end of the season. Someone who has had experience at this level before. a gamble perhaps but we are two points off the play offs and if someone can come in and grab this team by the short and curlies then we might just get over the line. As others have said though I reckon it will be an appointment from within.

no way do we want an interim. then in the summer we have someone who doesnt know much about the team and waits until christmas to do all his chopping and changing. we need someone in now who can work with the team and see what it needs, identify players early and go and get them in the summer to improve on what we have.

i would like to see an experienced manager. peter taylor, johnson snr, danny wilson, o'driscoll, brian laws. any of those would be cheep enough and have the experience to take us up.

Vital we learn from other growing clubs and appoint someone who'll continue the attempted style of play and modern coaching methods. So we build and develop.

Appointing a hoof merchant like Wilson, Taylor or Allen would be awful, and expensive. The former two have failed miserably in a poor L1 this season for a reason... Yesterday's men, yesterday's tactics.

Not saying we'd get them but Uwe Rosler and Sean O'Driscoll top the pile.

Then the wild cards of Dowie and Scholes.

no way do we want an interim. then in the summer we have someone who doesnt know much about the team and waits until christmas to do all his chopping and changing. we need someone in now who can work with the team and see what it needs, identify players early and go and get them in the summer to improve on what we have.

i would like to see an experienced manager. peter taylor, johnson snr, danny wilson, o'driscoll, brian laws. any of those would be cheep enough and have the experience to take us up.

It's a tricky one.....

If the board feel somebody from within could get us over the line there are merits to trying that and taking time to find the right man (yeah, due diligence, do it properly etc)

On the other hand there are a lot of previously successful experienced managers available and available now so it would be dangerous not to appoint one of them if they'd come...

Dowie wouldn't come last time due to the money Sky pay but he probably expected to get back in elsewhere at some point over these last two years and hasn't - he could be chomping at the bit by now and might work for the peanuts we can pay him.

Or he might fancy it on a temporary basis til the end of the season with a Championship wage available if he can get us up....

Also, I reckon Corney will now be desperate enough to ask Scholes properly this time round...,

I'm gutted that it appears Tommy Wright is going with Johnson. I hoped he could take it on and do a Nigel Adkins/Mark Warburton....

Dowie want come back

We'll go cheap and/or untested, which is a massive gamble at this stage of season and in our position. Almost 2 years ago we brought in LJ but we were at the wrong end of table and prepared to restart in league 2 if required. Different position now - we need someone with a track record of delivering in a very short timescale.

Short-term appointment with the remit to get a play-off position. Only two I can see are Ferguson or Warnock. I wouldn't want the latter personally but he's effective. Both out are pay scale too...as is Dowie.