Lee Johnson - A question for Simon Corney

I was disappointed that he didn't threaten to resign if Evans was signed.

No manager wants the boardroom to be deciding who is signed. A problem he may face at Barnsley, seeing as he is only head coach and not manager.

Who is the manager at Barnsley then?

Edited by BP1960

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How on earth have we received just £75k for a very in-demand manager with a very long contract along with a quality coach?

He was worth far more than that to this club, and probably far more in the current market. Not just that we have gained so little, we have given our manager to a genuine rival of ours in a critical period of the season. Also, why does it appear that the caretaker bosses, with no experience of management seemingly - from what has been said - been put in charge until the end of the season?

We have been absolutely FLEECED once again.

Where have you got this in demand bit from?

If he was in demand, then other clubs before Barnsley would have come in for him and if that club had more than a tenner in it's current account, Johnson would have been offski citing "this club has ambition". Also I don't recall Johnson being a favourite on Skybet over the last year.

Who is the manager at Barnsley then?

From the video of the press conference shown on the same page as this Chron's article it seems they're not having a manager. The fact that LJ is head coach and not manager is stressed. (It's about half way through the conference)

Edited by laticsrblue

I still dont think hes done anything wrong. Asif hes gona tip up at barnsley and tell everyone about how he never wanted to be there.

A bit of honesty would have been refreshing "Barnsley have offered me a fantastic contract, one that I felt I couldn't turn down"

Their overall ambition won't differ much from ours really, mid-lower Championship.

I still dont think hes done anything wrong. Asif hes gona tip up at barnsley and tell everyone about how he never wanted to be there.

Exactly. I'm a little grumpy about it but that's just because I thought we had a decent manager in Johnson.

He's moved to progress his career - he believes at least - in management. He's done nothing wrong. This is football and, indeed, life.

The most frustrating thing is the silence from the club regarding the why it happened and who instigated it.

Us oldham fans left in the dark again!!

Simon corney, without fans football is nothing and you my friend are doing a remarkable job of killing our fan base.

I've only ever seen us in div2/league1 and am getting :censored:ed off with being happy with just staying in the league

I can only imagine the frustration amongst those who have seen the glory days watching you kill us ever so slowly

Edited by Aarondo Westy

The most frustrating thing is the silence from the club regarding the why it happened and who instigated it.

Us oldham fans left in the dark again!!

Simon corney, without fans football is nothing and you my friend are doing a remarkable job of killing our fan base.

I've only ever seen us in div2/league1 and am getting :censored:ed off with being happy with just staying in the league

I can only imagine the frustration amongst those who have seen the glory days watching you kill us ever so slowly

This is our level. We dont have the resources to buy our way out of this league, we have a small fan base. The only reason we are up near the top 6 is the fact most of this league is pretty average.

Edited by doctor evil

As soon as he said it was upto the board it was clear he wanted to go.

Keeping an unhappy manager would be footballing suicide.

This.

The club handled the Evans saga appallingly and I think many are carrying over anger at the club onto this issue unfairly, in my opinion.

Johnson was alright. It's far from the end of the world that he's gone, though. I have hope in the fact we could appoint someone better.

Having calmed down a bit. It is not the clubs fault as if he was determined to leave despite the media :censored:e you cant blame club for taking the cash.... the little two faced :censored: ....spoke with forked tongues. One team one dream my arse.... He has been looking elsewhere and rather than smelling of :censored: has the knack of smiling his way into a new job that he is unlikely to have in two years. Do I care he's leaving not really its the manner in which he's gone about it at a crucial time in season. Tend to think he believes he is better than he really is the results saying average. Gone at season end fair enough he gave it a fair go.

SC has backed him in signings and from the interview despite the few words about Oldham he clearly couldn't care less about us. He has tempted Murphy to sign for us...a risk in itself considering injury record... then within a month is offski. Played people out of position consistently. Anal fixation about midfield formations. Asking playershare in the process of looking elsewhere....taking the pish?? Lot of good people support OAFC and will continue to do so but his timing stinks.

Opinions differ widely re loyalty in football as opposed to normal jobs. Lots of comments about looking after family and progressing careers. Strangely the two managers who have had long successful careers in football are our two longest serving and moved on to genuinely bigger clubs not a :censored: hole in South Yorks who have a track record of dumping managers whatever the title he has on his door. All mouth Mr Johnson, hats off to those that raised doubts from meeting him better judges than most. Chameleon Lee has gone lets make him regret it come May it is possible. Same goes for Tommy Wright....

For those that turn up home and away and care about club hope they have lots of smiles still to come this season. With Latics anything is possible.

Glad you have calmed down.

I'll take some of that emotion by proxy.

We used to get 4 or 5 interviews with Corney a season.

When was the last time he did one? There's a lot of outstanding :censored: which the fans deserve an explanation for.

What's the motivation to go and see us get spanked at home against Preston? No manager, half a squad out with injuries.

There was a time Corney would issue a rallying cry. Now it appears that he just doesn't give a :censored:.

Aside from the fact we're two points off the playoffs?

Two weeks ago he cut admission prices to a fiver.

This.

The club handled the Evans saga appallingly and I think many are carrying over anger at the club onto this issue unfairly, in my opinion.

Johnson was alright. It's far from the end of the world that he's gone, though. I have hope in the fact we could appoint someone better.

Quite right Joe. Johnson was alright, in the small ammount of time he was with us he gave us something to smile and shout about. He made mistakes and he is going to make a few more, I think him going to Barnsley is a mistake but we all make decisions in life with the best of intentions.

We move on and give the team the support we have all season who knows we could still make the play offs, now wouldn't that be something.

Having calmed down a bit. It is not the clubs fault as if he was determined to leave despite the media :censored:e you cant blame club for taking the cash.... the little two faced :censored: ....spoke with forked tongues. One team one dream my arse.... He has been looking elsewhere and rather than smelling of :censored: has the knack of smiling his way into a new job that he is unlikely to have in two years. Do I care he's leaving not really its the manner in which he's gone about it at a crucial time in season. Tend to think he believes he is better than he really is the results saying average. Gone at season end fair enough he gave it a fair go.

SC has backed him in signings and from the interview despite the few words about Oldham he clearly couldn't care less about us. He has tempted Murphy to sign for us...a risk in itself considering injury record... then within a month is offski. Played people out of position consistently. Anal fixation about midfield formations. Asking playershare in the process of looking elsewhere....taking the pish?? Lot of good people support OAFC and will continue to do so but his timing stinks.

Opinions differ widely re loyalty in football as opposed to normal jobs. Lots of comments about looking after family and progressing careers. Strangely the two managers who have had long successful careers in football are our two longest serving and moved on to genuinely bigger clubs not a :censored: hole in South Yorks who have a track record of dumping managers whatever the title he has on his door. All mouth Mr Johnson, hats off to those that raised doubts from meeting him better judges than most. Chameleon Lee has gone lets make him regret it come May it is possible. Same goes for Tommy Wright....

For those that turn up home and away and care about club hope they have lots of smiles still to come this season. With Latics anything is possible.

top post :OASISscarf:

We used to get 4 or 5 interviews with Corney a season.

When was the last time he did one? There's a lot of outstanding :censored: which the fans deserve an explanation for.

What's the motivation to go and see us get spanked at home against Preston? No manager, half a squad out with injuries.

There was a time Corney would issue a rallying cry. Now it appears that he just doesn't give a :censored:.

This is the same Simon Corney who would come along and state that we had lost £10k on pies due to a few cancelled games.

The same Simon Corney that bemoans our poor support whilst we have been on good runs on numerous occasions.

He had a bad case of foot-in-mouth almost every time he opened his gob.

Personally I'm quite happy he has said nowt, in fact I wish he wouldn't say anything to the press again.

I would think that SC probably feels completely let down by LJ after not only giving him his first managerial chance,

but also appearing to back him in the January transfer window.

Would probably say things that would hurt right now and i think saying nothing is the right thing to do at this stage.

He's had more kicks in the teeth since being at Latics than he deserves and he probably feels (not for the first time) like Balotelli -

WHY ME !!!!!!!!!

"It's up to the board" - How you know Lee Johnson wants something to happen.....

^That.

And I wish people would get Corney's managerial recruitment policy through their thick 'eds. If you want to manage OAFC, you pay and/or do it for nothing. You are free to go at your earliest convenience.

Why do you want to know everything that goes on behind the scenes? You wont do at Latics nor any other club.

Never said I wanted to know everything.Just the important stuff yano like when your ambitious manager on a long term deal jumps ship to a club in the same league and below us.

So I think it's fair for the club to explain how it happened.

Simon Corney said a while ago he was taking more of a back seat with the club now, and from what I have read is spending more and more time back in the USA. The day-to-day running of the club is left to the board memebers based here, that's why the statement on Johnson leaving was delivered by Neil Joy.

This.

They might have handled the Evans saga badly, but we'd be in such a worse position if we had signed him before LJ left. I agree we might be in a position to appoint another decent manager, but we wouldn't if Evans was here IMO

Never said I wanted to know everything.Just the important stuff yano like when your ambitious manager on a long term deal jumps ship to a club in the same league and below us.

So I think it's fair for the club to explain how it happened.

You've half answered the question already...the other bit doesn't require rocket science application.

Johnson - ambitious

Barnsley - greater resources, both actual and potential

It sounds like you want an explanaition as another reason to beat up Corney and the board.

Johnson wanted out and there was nothing short of Corney making false promises that may have kept Johnson here.

You are intent on attacking Corney......so what would you have done to try and keep Johnson?

Have I missed something here - where and when has LDJ actually said he wanted out!

He was contracted for nearly 4 years, so as I have asked earlier, what we need to be told is if there were any clauses in that contract that he was happy to sign!

Yes he was ambitious, but that doesn't say he wanted out!

The club could have put an end to this as far as we the fans are concerned, by telling Barnsley where to go

Granted, SC's recent rants or the Ched Evans saga probably haven't helped nor have the 'low' crowds, but this certainly isn't the way to attract new fans or indeed keep the existing hard core!