Lee Johnson - A question for Simon Corney

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have I missed something here - where and when has LDJ actually said he wanted out!

He was contracted for nearly 4 years, so as I have asked earlier, what we need to be told is if there were any clauses in that contract that he was happy to sign!

Yes he was ambitious, but that doesn't say he wanted out!

The club could have put an end to this as far as we the fans are concerned, by telling Barnsley where to go

Granted, SC's recent rants or the Ched Evans saga probably haven't helped nor have the 'low' crowds, but this certainly isn't the way to attract new fans or indeed keep the existing hard core!

Johnson is hardly likely to publically say he wants out.

And why is it any of our business what details are in the contract? Johnson is an employee, nothing more.

Personally, I've now reached the point where I'm glad he's gone as his team's performances of late have been poor because of his selections and tactics. We are still on the edge of the playoffs and new impetus may get us back up there.

Anyway get over it...stop looking for another excuse to beat up Corney.

"It's up to the board" - How you know Lee Johnson wants something to happen.....

This! 100%!

It was obvious Johnson wanted to sign Evans. Yet when the massive :censored:storm broke and we even had Red Ed and that Tory cock having their say (on a football signing FFS!) LJ :censored: out, and turned all the responsibility (and blame) back onthe board. The board cracked under incredible pressure and pulled out.

Is hardly surprising their relationship has deteriorated.

That fact that Johnson effectively denied any responsibility for that whole sorry episode tells me all I need to know about him.

Edited by danoafc

Have I missed something here - where and when has LDJ actually said he wanted out!

He was contracted for nearly 4 years, so as I have asked earlier, what we need to be told is if there were any clauses in that contract that he was happy to sign!

The club could have put an end to this as far as we the fans are concerned, by telling Barnsley where to go

Granted, SC's recent rants or the Ched Evans saga probably haven't helped nor have the 'low' crowds, but this certainly isn't the way to attract new fans or indeed keep the existing hard core!

Cheers saved me writing the same reply

There is a lot a speculation presented as facts on this forum generally, and the discussion about the loss of our manger is no different.

I recall people being very upset with Dowie and the way he said one thing but did another at the death, and the same accusations are being presented against LJ.

How many people on this board would tell their manager that they were applying for jobs outside their existing company before it was a done deal? How many are happy to say and do the things at their current job that is expected of them, but then be all positive when you go for a job interview about the 'exciting opportunity', and be all about the new job once you have accepted it?

All of us I'd guess.

LJ doesn't have any affiliation with OAFC, he has no reason to do anything other than what is best for himself (as does almost everyone else in football, and the workplace in general). To expect behaviour different from this is in my opinion naive.

In terms of SC. Well once someone has got another offer and wants to leave then there is very little you can do to keep them. Whatever the compensation figure is, it may or may not have been negotiable (could be a release clause), but the sharing the internal details of contracts and terms etc in this type of situation is not fair to those involved (these are private matters) and also probably not a good idea when you are looking for another manager to behave in a way that might put other managers off i.e. sharing personal details of contracts with the media.

We will all have our views, but I imagine that SC is as disappointed as most fans to lose a promising manager during the most promising season for a while. Whether he could have prevented it, or if he could he could afford to (I wonder if Barnsley have made offers of playing budgets etc that we cannot match) is for SC to know, not us. Asking for a public response to provide the details I think is unfair and unnecessary.

I agree with most of what your saying but as a business OAFC have around 3000 very loyal paying customers, if they dont want to keep them in the loop Im fine with that but dont complain when they become disenchanted and walk away, many have done already and after this seasons debacle more will follow, any business worth their salt wouldnt fail to consider the views of its paying customers in the way OAFC have done this season, if the board are running the club with their own interests at heart fine but they are playing a dangerous game.

Edited by Chaddy_Ender

There is a lot a speculation presented as facts on this forum generally, and the discussion about the loss of our manger is no different.

I recall people being very upset with Dowie and the way he said one thing but did another at the death, and the same accusations are being presented against LJ.

How many people on this board would tell their manager that they were applying for jobs outside their existing company before it was a done deal? How many are happy to say and do the things at their current job that is expected of them, but then be all positive when you go for a job interview about the 'exciting opportunity', and be all about the new job once you have accepted it?

All of us I'd guess.

LJ doesn't have any affiliation with OAFC, he has no reason to do anything other than what is best for himself (as does almost everyone else in football, and the workplace in general). To expect behaviour different from this is in my opinion naive.

In terms of SC. Well once someone has got another offer and wants to leave then there is very little you can do to keep them. Whatever the compensation figure is, it may or may not have been negotiable (could be a release clause), but the sharing the internal details of contracts and terms etc in this type of situation is not fair to those involved (these are private matters) and also probably not a good idea when you are looking for another manager to behave in a way that might put other managers off i.e. sharing personal details of contracts with the media.

We will all have our views, but I imagine that SC is as disappointed as most fans to lose a promising manager during the most promising season for a while. Whether he could have prevented it, or if he could he could afford to (I wonder if Barnsley have made offers of playing budgets etc that we cannot match) is for SC to know, not us. Asking for a public response to provide the details I think is unfair and unnecessary.

Stop being so :censored:ing reasonable.

I agree with most of what your saying but as a business OAFC have around 3000 very loyal paying customers, if they dont want to keep them in the loop Im fine with that but dont complain when they become disenchanted and walk away, many have done already and after this seasons debacle more will follow, any business worth their salt wouldnt fail to consider the views of its paying customers in the way OAFC have done this season, if the board are running the club with their own interests at heart fine but they are playing a dangerous game.

What information do you require to stay "in the loop"?

Keeping football supporters in the loop isn't something that happens very often, if at all.

I think the sad thing is that the hardcore support will generally turn up no matter what, with the occasional numbers drifting away of course (as circumstances change etc), but that for SC this season is to see now real change in the crowds despite it being the best season in a while. I don't think anyone expected another 2,000 on the gate, but something would have been nice to see.

It appears that the (mostly) good football, squad and ethic that LJ brought - wasn't doing a great deal to inspire anyone other than the already committed.

Oh...and Barnsley of course.

This! 100%!

It was obvious Johnson wanted to sign Evans. Yet when the massive :censored:storm broke and we even had Red Ed and that Tory cock having their say (on a football signing FFS!) LJ :censored: out, and turned all the responsibility (and blame) back onthe board. The board cracked under incredible pressure and pulled out.

That fact that Johnson effectively denied any responsibility for that whole sorry episode tells me all I need to know about him.

I am inclined to feel the same way. Sadly, he had everyone conned.

Cheers saved me writing the same reply

"It wasn't a case of wanting to leave Oldham because I loved my time there, but I wanted to progress and give myself the best opportunity to achieve.

"It is a great time for me to come here and hopefully achieve something special."

All I, and me, in that. His choice.

This! 100%!

What makes you think that LJ wanted to sign Evans?

I cannot imagine a bigger spoke in the wheel of a happy dressing room. Why would LJ want that?

Evans was Owen's project.

A perfect example. Nobody knows the truth behind the Evans transfer - manager, chairman, director driven? Or even supported.

They might have handled the Evans saga badly, but we'd be in such a worse position if we had signed him before LJ left. I agree we might be in a position to appoint another decent manager, but we wouldn't if Evans was here IMO

If we had Evans then LJ wouldnt have left and we would be 5th in the league IMO

I cannot imagine a bigger spoke in the wheel of a happy dressing room. Why would LJ want that?

Evans was Owen's project.

of course Johnson wanted Evans, as with his resignation he could have just said no. End of.

But no, he spun it to blame the Board.

Possible reasons for Johnson wanting Evans could include a slice if any future fee and a promotion bonus

And the disruption and due diligence shows it was Johnson guff.

Johnson was a lot of things in my eyes, but he wasn't spineless enough to allow someone like Barry dictate his team.

Edited by singe

The point of my question is why? The compensation quoted is no compensation when compared with the money made on transfers. When is a four year contract not a four year contract? What I want to know is, is this it? I bought the LJ thing hook line and sinker so I'm the poor sod whose been scorned.

Surely the club can say the truth rather than we all wish him well. I don't wish him well because I feel let down. Let down by LJ and let down by the club. LJ is some piece of work if he applied for the job without permission. And yes we now know he is some piece of work given what he has said now he has gone. He bloody well has written us off.

We still need three wins for safety and the boss has walked out saying that's as good as it gets. On top of the injuries this must have done our confidence no good at all.

I do like what Dean has said apart from his good wishes for LJ. I hope we win tomorrow. I would have gone expecting us to win in this topsy turvy season but now.........

The point of my question is why? The compensation quoted is no compensation when compared with the money made on transfers. When is a four year contract not a four year contract? What I want to know is, is this it? I bought the LJ thing hook line and sinker so I'm the poor sod whose been scorned.

Surely the club can say the truth rather than we all wish him well. I don't wish him well because I feel let down. Let down by LJ and let down by the club. LJ is some piece of work if he applied for the job without permission. And yes we now know he is some piece of work given what he has said now he has gone. He bloody well has written us off.

We still need three wins for safety and the boss has walked out saying that's as good as it gets. On top of the injuries this must have done our confidence no good at all.

I do like what Dean has said apart from his good wishes for LJ. I hope we win tomorrow. I would have gone expecting us to win in this topsy turvy season but now.........

Not getting this....as LJ stated in his Barnsley message, he left the club in a better state than when he arrived so why the acrimony? And how do you know whether he applied or was invited?

of course Johnson wanted Evans, as with his resignation he could have just said no. End of.

Preciosu few people resign on a point of principle without another jobt o go to. Plenty of people see something going on at their employer that they don't agree with and decide that they will move on as soon as a decent opportunity to do so comes along

Preciosu few people resign on a point of principle without another jobt o go to. Plenty of people see something going on at their employer that they don't agree with and decide that they will move on as soon as a decent opportunity to do so comes along

Agreed.

I bought into it as well, for the first time since the Dowie season I have been as interested and focused on my team to an extent that a grown man probably shouldn't be.

I am confident that we will finish with a points total in the 60s for the first time since Shez left, and have some genuinely good players in the team on OK length contracts that could be used by someone else to maintain that type of performance next season (if not improve).

To the Why question?

Who are you asking this to - the club? I think no genuine choice once it became clear that LJ was not clearly distancing himself from the job - whether its because of a clause in the contract or just that it seems to be untenable to hold onto someone in football once they want away. I imagine the Swindon denial was done after a quiet conversation along the lines of "Are you interested?"..."No"..."Good".....followed by an official denial. I don't think SC got that response from LJ.

As for LJ? He wanted away. It could be because he is unhappy at the club (the Ched affair will always leave room for rumours) or that he simply realises that with no off-field money and crowds of 4,000 that promotion from this division is really really hard and that 9,000 plus supporters and decent conference facilities mean that it he has a far better chance of being successful at Oakwell. As much as the older fans (myself included) think that we are a decent sized team that can and should be able to compete at the top of League One / Bottom of the Championship....the reality is 18 years in the third division spending more time being concerned about leaving it the wrong way.

Take the Latics bias out of it and see it for what it is, and Barnsley are genuinely a more enticing prospect for a career minded coach/manager.

I still believe and hope that things will improve (the new stand offers hope, we know there are supporters than could and would jump on a bandwagon). Once my Latics biased frustration fades, I won't hold anything against LJ. He isn't as good as some of us thought at the moment, and he is not the devil deserving of some of the critics he is getting either.

He has the potential to go on to be a very good manager, but equally he could fail at Barnsley and become another one of the mildly experienced managers out of work looking for a job. That is a risk that he has decided to take - fair enough Lee, I wish you well.

Possible reasons for Johnson wanting Evans could include a slice if any future fee and a promotion bonus

And the disruption and due diligence shows it was Johnson guff.

Johnson was a lot of things in my eyes, but he wasn't spineless enough to allow someone like Barry dictate his team.

What if Johnson has been telling us the truth all along, the board were working him over with Evans, he is sick of it all and wanted out? Just put a front on until a decent job offer came along.

We will never know or certainly not for a few years yet. Football is full of snakes, it gets hard to spot who they are though.