38 members have voted

1. 1. Who will you vote for?

• Glorious Labour Party
    • Evil Tory Scum
    • Evil Liberal Democrats
    • Racist UKIP
    • Hippy Green
    • Racist BNP
    • Other (eg SNP if you're fond of deep fried food)
    • None of the above

I was hoping reading this thread would help me decide where to send my vote. Not been much help, but interesting reading!

It'd be nice if politics was about confident leaders with solid policies and clear explanation about how the country would benefit, rather than seemingly being about trying to be the least :censored: option to the highest number of people.

A comical spoil is looking the most appealing option by far.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was hoping reading this thread would help me decide where to send my vote. Not been much help, but interesting reading!

It'd be nice if politics was about confident leaders with solid policies and clear explanation about how the country would benefit, rather than seemingly being about trying to be the least :censored: option to the highest number of people.

A comical spoil is looking the most appealing option by far.

How come you get to vote?

People in Winchester can vote too you know, even if it's not a Labour hotspot.

Yep, I fled that remote paradise a few years ago. I don't fancy changing my username though, as much as I like the lad I don't want to people to think I'm committing myself to Barnsley's player of the year 2016.

Labour MP Austin Mitchell: "Even if we selected a raving alcoholic sex paedophile we wouldn't lose Grimsby"

...as in many northern towns.

That is what I always thought about Middleton and Heywood, but the recent by election has made me re-think.

Labour MP Austin Mitchell: "Even if we selected a raving alcoholic sex paedophile we wouldn't lose Grimsby"

...as in many northern towns.

I don't know why this statement caused such a fuss, the Tories and Liberals have been putting up exactly that kind of candidate for years and it is only now that people are batting an eyelid.

Don't get me wrong, I think labour will win in Midd and Heywood, but it used to be with huge majorities, I never thought it would be closely fought.

That was a by-election- they are always going to give marginal parties like UKIP a better shot.

It has given UKIP confidence to run and challenge Labour in their Northern heartlands. Judging by the UKIPers on the Rochdale road in the Collyhurst/Harpurhey area yesterday in the pouring rain, they are going after Blackley.

Labour were complacent about Heywood & Midd in October- they won't be this time round. I fully expect a few visits from members of the shadow cabinet, but for Labour to triple/quadruple their majority.

That was a by-election- they are always going to give marginal parties like UKIP a better shot.

It has given UKIP confidence to run and challenge Labour in their Northern heartlands. Judging by the UKIPers on the Rochdale road in the Collyhurst/Harpurhey area yesterday in the pouring rain, they are going after Blackley.

Labour were complacent about Heywood & Midd in October- they won't be this time round. I fully expect a few visits from members of the shadow cabinet, but for Labour to triple/quadruple their majority.

TBF Medic did you ever think that even in a by election it would be that close? I for one always thought they could put a monkey up round here for Labour and it would win.

TBF Medic did you ever think that even in a by election it would be that close? I for one always thought they could put a monkey up round here for Labour and it would win.

Me too except the Monkey's a paedophile in my analogy.

No not that close, but like I said by-elections do produce funny results and the Labour candidate was a bit of a non-entity, but better than the other health professional or relation of some labour big-wig who stood in the candidate selection.

Show me. You're always very keen to read racism into Labour campaigning (even when it's ridiculous to do so), but less keen to point out the overt racism of Tories and Ukippers. But why?

It was directly relevant. Everyone knew that the sex grooming business was the subtext of that by election. Why should I not point out the Labour candidate went along with the UKIP dog whistling?

• 2 weeks later...

Party A: We're going to spend loads on X

All other parties: You must be planning on raising taxes! Or cutting other precious spending!

Party B: We're going to spend loads on X

All other parties: You must be planning on raising taxes! Or cutting other precious spending!

Party C: We're going to spend loads on X

Repeat ad nauseum.

All the :censored:ing same. All a load of rubbish. Can't wait for it all to be over.

Party A: We're going to spend loads on X

Party B: We're going to spend loads on X

Party C: We're going to spend loads on X

Repeat ad nauseum.

All the :censored:ing same. All a load of rubbish. Can't wait for it all to be over.

As little as it delivers in practice, the much maligned American system offers much more of a choice than we have. If it runs out to Clinton vs Paul it will be a genuine ideological fight about more vs less tax/spending, as well as other civil liberties issues

As little as it delivers in practice, the much maligned American system offers much more of a choice than we have. If it runs out to Clinton vs Paul it will be a genuine ideological fight about more vs less tax/spending, as well as other civil liberties issues

Yes.

Although we've only recently had a referendum on AV, I can see it happening again if the next government loses a confidence vote in the first year or two of the parliament.

More because every man and his dog (DUP and Sinn Fein aside, but that is another story) have been heavily covered in the run up which I can imagine will end up in a mis-mash of seats going random ways with people actually voting for whom they want!

It happened at the last election in Rochdale, more people voted for the Tories (+4000 on 2005) and Lib Dems (-1000 on 2005) than voted for labour. Because of the swing to the Tories, labour got in. Magic, right?

I was going to disagree then I thought about it remember that ours is pretty much a two party state where the main parties are very similar but with a slightly different slant.

Yes.

Although we've only recently had a referendum on AV, I can see it happening again if the next government loses a confidence vote in the first year or two of the parliament.

More because every man and his dog (DUP and Sinn Fein aside, but that is another story) have been heavily covered in the run up which I can imagine will end up in a mis-mash of seats going random ways with people actually voting for whom they want!

It happened at the last election in Rochdale, more people voted for the Tories (+4000 on 2005) and Lib Dems (-1000 on 2005) than voted for labour. Because of the swing to the Tories, labour got in. Magic, right?

Yup any smaller party should want voting reform and given that it will likely be a coalition...

With the first past the post electoral system, only the Conservatives and Labour can possibly be in a position to form a government. If neither of them win an outright election victory, we will either have a minority government or a coalition with the balance of power in the hands of whoever voters have chosen between the Lib Dems, the SNP and UKIP.

Lib Dem Leader Nick Clegg accepts that his party will not be able to form a Government, and he wants to carry on enjoying the role of Deputy Prime Minister, with the fifteen minutes of fame attached to it, and without any real responsibility.

The SNP has 59 candidates seeking election in Scotland to the UK Parliament. Nicola Sturgeon appears to have won UK-wide support in the first TV debate, but she is not one of the 59 candidates. However, Alex Salmond is one of them and, although nothing has been seen of him during the campaign south of the border, if the SNP does well in the election, he’s the one who will call the shots in any cobbled together coalition. He would love to be Deputy Prime Minister, as would Nigel Farage – asked whether he would make a good Prime Minister, the UKIP Leader said: “I don’t think that’s my role in life, I don’t think I’d be very good at it either”.

The only way to guarantee a majority government is to vote Conservative or Labour.

If anyone needs reminding about the last five years of coalition:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/jan/28/-sp-david-camerons-five-year-legacy-has-he-finished-what-margaret-thatcher-started

The Conservatives have a history throughout this Parliament of producing dossiers on Labour’s spending plans, based on shoddy claims and dodgy numbers, which collapsed under scrutiny.

Labour appears to have learned from its mistakes. It is the only party committed to having no unfunded spending commitments in its manifesto, and it has called for the Office for Budget Responsibility to independently audit the spending and tax commitments in its manifesto and those of the other main parties.

The Conservatives need to explain why they have refused to let this happen.

What are the hopes of your family and friends? To have a secure, affordable home in a community where you can enjoy going outside to a clean and healthy environment, To be healthy and to feel good. To know you'll have enough money to pay the bills and buy what you need and know that you'll have that financial security in the future. To have meaningful, secure and satisfying work that you care about. To have good relationships with family and friends and to know that those you care about are safe and secure.

To have access to green and wild spaces, community areas, play areas, arts, sports and leisure activities. To have good transport links, good facilities and high quality services locally when you need them. To have human rights, to be free from discrimination, to be accepted and respected. To live a good life.

Home, work, security, community, recreation, public service and respect, a politics which cares about us would be built on these foundations. Profiteering, competition, elitism, greed, anger, blame, mistrust are NOT words that represent our hopes so why are they the foundations of the politics we have?

We have ben hoodwinked into accepting that if the strongest get stronger, the biggest get bigger and the richest get richer we ALL benefit because some of their wealth and power filters down to us. What have we been left with? tax dodging billionaires, profiteering energy companies, criminal banks and hard working families who struggle to achieve the basic standard of living.

Both Tories and Labour (and over the past 5 years Lib Dem) are part of an elitist establishment that protect the rich and ensure that we pay for it. A vote for any of these is a vote for things to continue as they have done since Thatcher. The countries wealth will continue to rise to the elite and we will take our medicine of austerity because we are all in it together.

Although I don't support many of their policies I will be voting SNP, not because I hate the English (I am English ) but because I see that eventually a strong SNP will be rid of an Establishment that looks after itself first and ensures the rest of us turn against each other. With a compliant media we are meant to blame all our problems on someone else who is slightly different, rather than the real villains that comprise the Establishment.