Curzon Ashton promoted

Went to the play off final v Ilkeston yesterday, which Curzon won 1-0 to gain promotion to the Conference North.

Curzon look a good footballing team with 2 strong centre backs and should do ok in the higher division.

I liked Ilkeston midfielder David Morgan a 20yo signed from Nottingham Forest, I need to see him again, but his excellent distribution suggested to me he could be back in league football in the near future.

Their centre back was useful too, Joe Maguire, brother of Hull City's Harry Maguire.

I noticed Ilkeston have a very good youth and under 21 set up, maybe Latics with having no under 21 or reserve teams can look into a similar structure.

Edited by BP1960

The best team I saw play in the NPLPD last year was either Ilston or Curzon by a mile, so it was fitting that they both made it to the final.

Ilkeston have lost a great deal though, Chettle, Caskey, Wilson - I'm almost sure that their youthful team was made up of players from higher up the leagues on mutually agreed full-contracts.

I think it's going to be tough for them next year; Darlo1868 and the CO92 will be formidable opponents - consider Workington and the other Robins, Ashton United and it's a really tough prospect - shame, it was a decent set up with decent fans.