League 1 Activity

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When Graham Westley took over at Peterborough he promised attacking football. They currently sit 6th in the league having scored 46 goals. Statistics from their game today against Luton: 34 shots, 15 on target. Nice.

Imagine if we had appointed him? Meltdown wouldn't have covered it.

And I think it was more of a condition of employment from MacAnthony.

And they have the players to play that way.

But there's no reason why we can't to look build towards something similar.

Imagine if we had appointed him? Meltdown wouldn't have covered it.

And I think it was more of a condition of employment from MacAnthony.

And they have the players to play that way.

But there's no reason why we can't to look build towards something similar.

We scored 3 at top of the table Gillingham not many moons ago, have we lost those players then?

Sheffield United couldn't wait to get rid. Boring football, small players not up for the fight. Their co chairman is still blaming him and his signings for them still not being able to get out of this "diabolical" league.

Don't think he's the one to bring back the 90s.

Below is description of Clough from the BBC. Now does that look like a record of a bad manager ?

He laid the foundations for the Burton side which would win the Conference title that season, gaining promotion to the Football League for the first time in the club's history.

Clough spent more than three and a half years at Derby, but 10th place was the club's best finish under him in his final full season in charge.

He was sacked in September 2013 after a 1-0 loss to fierce rivals Forest left the Rams 14th in the Championship after nine games.

Less than a month later he was back in football as manager of League One Sheffield United, guiding them away from the relegation zone and to an FA Cup semi-final against Hull City at Wembley.

The following season he led the Blades to the semi-finals of the League Cup, losing to Tottenham over two legs, but was sacked in May 2015 after the Blades were knocked out of the League One play-offs by Swindon Town after a 5-5 draw in the second leg of their semi-final.

Below is description of Clough from the BBC. Now does that look like a record of a bad manager ?

He laid the foundations for the Burton side which would win the Conference title that season, gaining promotion to the Football League for the first time in the club's history.

Clough spent more than three and a half years at Derby, but 10th place was the club's best finish under him in his final full season in charge.

He was sacked in September 2013 after a 1-0 loss to fierce rivals Forest left the Rams 14th in the Championship after nine games.

Less than a month later he was back in football as manager of League One Sheffield United, guiding them away from the relegation zone and to an FA Cup semi-final against Hull City at Wembley.

The following season he led the Blades to the semi-finals of the League Cup, losing to Tottenham over two legs, but was sacked in May 2015 after the Blades were knocked out of the League One play-offs by Swindon Town after a 5-5 draw in the second leg of their semi-final.

On the other hand, you could say he couldn't get Burton out of the Conference for five years, couldn't get Derby much past midtable in four years, couldn't get Sheffield United up last season either.

17 years as a manager and one promotion from the Northern Premier League.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Martin Ling resigned as Swindon manager with health issues.

Also, not League 1 but Leeds have banned Sky from entering Elland Road ahead of their scheduled televised game tonight. Cellino has complained before about the issue, ordering a 2000 fan cap on Leeds away games in protest. Be interesting to see how that pans out.

Martin Ling leaves Swindon after 56 days.

Very sad to hear.

I've been reading "Living in the Volcano" by Michael Calvin recently and it goes into detail about Ling's problems with depression. It's certainly an eye-opener. I hope he gets better soon and manages to find work in football again if he wants it, but I can't imagine that he'll get another management job.

Very sad to hear.

I've been reading "Living in the Volcano" by Michael Calvin recently and it goes into detail about Ling's problems with depression. It's certainly an eye-opener. I hope he gets better soon and manages to find work in football again if he wants it, but I can't imagine that he'll get another management job.

Got that in Secret Santa this year and looking forward to reading it.

Real shame for him and hope he is OK.

I like Cassidy but then again I'd have Conor back.

Wouldn't be suprised if Barnsley put a cheeky bid in for Murphy.

If there's a way that we could pick up Wilkinson on a free then we should go for it. Not the finished article yet but I could see him being worth undisclosed within 18 months.

If there's a way that we could pick up Wilkinson on a free then we should go for it. Not the finished article yet but I could see him being worth undisclosed within 18 months.

He was lazy and stroppy for most of his time here last season, he's not someone I want in a team who are in a relegation dogfight.

Archived