League 1 Activity

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look at Orient for your warning. Yes they're signing names that we know, but apart from spells here or there, they're average league one players who have passed their peak powers.

I like our recent approach of getting guys in their early to mid 20s, who increase their value while they're with us, rather than lose it.

Although I admit a sprinkling of proven higher division veteran talent like an Andy Liddell, is exciting, L Clarke and Pope don't come under that category.

This does make sense. It's not nice to see Bury splashing money around signing players who could really do a job for us, Yes Clarke has had about 58 clubs but he can score goals at this level. Pope would have been ideal for us.

But as you say, It's good we have been signing players aged 20-25 in recent years and developed them then sold them on (unfortunately for pittance).

Look at Orient, splashed the cash last year, brought in all these players earning WAY more than the players at Bury will be earning (Believe one orient player is on 20k a week, know a couple are on 10-12k a week) and they went down.

Bit of an aside but I wouldn't mind enquiring about Cox at Orient, always looked quality against us. Though I think he's on like 10k a week down there and we ain't matching that even in a league above lol.

Apparently Kelly is only looking to bring in 4 players over summer (not sure if this includes a keeper or not).

Its all a bit depressing really, I'd love something to really get excited about like that the fact Pope was shown around BP and has chosen Bury ahead of us is even more disheartening. Its bad enough Rochdale getting the better of us without Bury joining in.

Imagine how sweet a pair of wins 3-0 home , 0-3 away will feel....

At least Connor Browns signed on as third choice right back for another two years.

Me and a mate were on about this yesterday, shocked at a 2 year deal I would have opted for 1 year + option in our favour. He was very good the latter half of the season though. He must factor into Kellys plans to be signed up for a 2 year deal

Its all a bit depressing really, I'd love something to really get excited about like that the fact Pope was shown around BP and has chosen Bury ahead of us is even more disheartening. Its bad enough Rochdale getting the better of us without Bury joining in.

He was shown around BP....where did you hear that?

This does make sense. It's not nice to see Bury splashing money around signing players who could really do a job for us, Yes Clarke has had about 58 clubs but he can score goals at this level. Pope would have been ideal for us.

But as you say, It's good we have been signing players aged 20-25 in recent years and developed them then sold them on (unfortunately for pittance).

Look at Orient, splashed the cash last year, brought in all these players earning WAY more than the players at Bury will be earning (Believe one orient player is on 20k a week, know a couple are on 10-12k a week) and they went down.

Bit of an aside but I wouldn't mind enquiring about Cox at Orient, always looked quality against us. Though I think he's on like 10k a week down there and we ain't matching that even in a league above lol.

Apparently Kelly is only looking to bring in 4 players over summer (not sure if this includes a keeper or not).

This stability is somethingt we have craved for.

In theory, it will mean a steadier season.

Time will tell.

You'd have thought Bury would take a while to settle down given the mass influx of players.

This stability is somethingt we have craved for.

In theory, it will mean a steadier season.

Time will tell.

You'd have thought Bury would take a while to settle down given the mass influx of players.

Yes It's good especially if we can keep the majority of the players. Add to it with 4 or so and go from there rather than lose 10 players a year and bring in another 10 then start again.

I do think we will lose Kelly though before the end of the summer. Maybe Wilson too.

Aslong as we keep Winch and Jones I'm happy!

And as with Clarke it will be another 3 year deal....they must be throwing serious money at it in an attempt to go straight up.

Thing is, I can't see them getting another 1000 on the gate no matter who they sign so what's the point.

It's a massive gamble that could seriously backfire. If they've borrowed money at a ridiculously high rate as has been reported how can they possibly remain within FFP?

Bury AFC havent borrowed the money, the Company owned by the Chairman has! It is secured on Gigg Lane though.

Me and a mate were on about this yesterday, shocked at a 2 year deal I would have opted for 1 year + option in our favour. He was very good the latter half of the season though. He must factor into Kellys plans to be signed up for a 2 year deal

There is a sponsorship deal for that second year, I think Palmer1 is behind it?

Look at Orient for your warning. Yes they're signing names that we know, but apart from spells here or there, they're average league one players who have passed their peak powers.

I like our recent approach of getting guys in their early to mid 20s, who increase their value while they're with us, rather than lose it.

Although I admit a sprinkling of proven higher division veteran talent like an Andy Liddell, is exciting, L Clarke and Pope don't come under that category.

Where's that got us?

Bury's approach is likely to get them further. Yeah, maybe they could sign younger players but whichever way they'll finish higher than us.

If those 4 were a first choice CB, 2 first choice strikers and a versatile midfielder I'd be happy with that.

Quality over quantity...

(Yes, I realise they won't be)

if Bury are shakeing buckets in 18 months the ones posting that we should do the same will be the first to say it serves them right. It will end badly for them...

what happens if their chairman pulls out next season after they get beat in the play offs? im sure thats happened to a club we all know

id say to Burys fans, enjoy the ride as it will be fast and fun ride but will come to a screaming shuddering halt sooner rather than later

Where's that got us?

Bury's approach is likely to get them further. Yeah, maybe they could sign younger players but whichever way they'll finish higher than us.

Maybe far from guaranteed though, but the good news for us is that their is precious little to be gained from finishing 7th or 15th! It will cause them some hardship if they do not get promoted. I would be livid if we had loaned money for players on the security of BP at 100%+ interest.

If those 4 were a first choice CB, 2 first choice strikers and a versatile midfielder I'd be happy with that.

Quality over quantity...

(Yes, I realise they won't be)

Exactly. The sentiment from the manager is right even if it's likely we'll get bang average players ie. Croft.

Assuming we don't lose anyone there aren't many I feel like we can afford to upgrade on. Kelly, Jones, Winchester, Mills, Wilson, Forte are all top end League 1 level.

We need one more first choice centre back, a first choice right back and a striker or two to compete with the existing ones. Anybody else is backup or versatile squad players, for me.

Even bury fans believe they only have two years left of supporting the club with all the loans if they don't go up. However, they could have gone out of business if this guy didn't come in. Just stinks off Chris Moore and I'm glad that our finances are stable

if Bury are shakeing buckets in 18 months the ones posting that we should do the same will be the first to say it serves them right. It will end badly for them...

what happens if their chairman pulls out next season after they get beat in the play offs? im sure thats happened to a club we all know

id say to Burys fans, enjoy the ride as it will be fast and fun ride but will come to a screaming shuddering halt sooner rather than later

I'm envious. Good luck to them.

Not taking enough risk might eventually bite us on the arse one season.....

I'm envious. Good luck to them.

Not taking enough risk might eventually bite us on the arse one season.....

I'm not.

We have one owner play Russian Roulette with our finances, I would not wish that again under any circumstances.

EVen Chris Moore at least financed it with his own money (well not the clubs anyway)

I am not getting carried away, the new manager is completely unproven. But we have a chance of a more solid season for once.

I'll watch on slightly enviously as Bury go past us over the next 2 years.

When they free fall back past us at 100 miles per hour to oblivion and end up at the same level as Stockport County are now I sure as hell won't be.

I can't say I've envied Portsmouth fans over the last 5 years.

I'm not.

We have one owner play Russian Roulette with our finances, I would not wish that again under any circumstances.

EVen Chris Moore at least financed it with his own money (well not the clubs anyway)

I am not getting carried away, the new manager is completely unproven. But we have a chance of a more solid season for once.

Still provided me with the best season I have ever had watching Latics

Archived