this burst of goals all through his career you keep mentioning is a burst of 5 goals every few years. Last season was not the norm.

Last season was his first full season after 2 years of Southampton's apparently rather decent coaching.

And can we drop this injury prone bollocks - he started 34 games.

He's goal-prone not injury prone.

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe this gives us a better chance of keeping Kelly. And if it's s choice between losing kelly or forte then I'm afraid I'd rather lose forte.

How many times will Kelly sprint clear of the defence and slot it past the keeper? I'll start the bidding at none.

And if I was a Kelly/Mills/Winchester I might be asking questions as to why we are letting our top scorer move on two weeks before the season starts.

Probably our most natural finisher, his best games came with Jabo up top, Cassidy would work well with him. 34 games out of him this year would be plenty, 15 goals are hard to replace. Poleon being likened to him is a million miles away. The only link is hes quick and black. Poleon cant finish his tea.

Would be gutted to lose him, £250k as a minimum would be reasonable. Fortes 15 goals would get us at least 2 places higher in the league, youd make that 100k back with that.

Anyway, we will probably sign a 'proven' striker for £100k on deadline day to get us all back happy clapping, only for him to score 2 in 38.

Matt chambers when asked if the fee was below 100k he said would think so and the reasoning behind the decision is his injury record in a small squad

For a man who only has three centrehalves on the books why is Kelly going for the most injury prone defender available to him then?

If your going to justify moving a player who played 30+ games for us last season because he is injury prone why is he looking at crocks for the limited spaces in the squad.

Starting to get a bad vibe about some of these decisions.

how may assists as a winger did he have last season which must be his primary concern then? is he worth keeping on assists if the goals dry up?

For his general play alone I believe he would be better than average at this level. He terrorised many a full back this season.

He's a superior player to Croft in almost every attacking factor.

Talking of injury prone we're on the verge of signing Gavin Gunning. How that can be used to justify selling our best attacker when we are bringing in another crock I do not know.

Edited by NewBlue

He's a kid who hasn't played 10 games yet, impossible to make any sweeping statements on what he may or may not produce.

Where's your optimism and excitement? I was at this Stirling game (they're :censored:) but still he looked a class act in comparison to our team. If he can be taught to trust his team mates I think he will be great for us

He is one of the best in the league on his day, however if he wants out and the powers that be deem the fee offered by barnsley acceptable then hes off, I like many others would sooner lose him over Jones, Kelly or Winchester

The sqaud seems to be top heavy at minute, lets use this forte money to bring in a proven centre half

Edited by OAFCM35

He is the best in league on his day, however if he wants out and the powers that be deem the fee offered by barnsley acceptable then hes off, I like many others would sooner lose him over Jones, Kelly or Winchester

The sqaud seems to be top heavy at minute, lets use this forte money to bring in a proven centre half

Yes, Gavin Gunning - another crock who played 35 less games than Forte last season

Four of his goals were from the spot and he scored two goals in the rest of the season after November.

Inconsistent doesn't begin to cover it.

Most of our other forwards consistently did little or nothing.

I'd rather have Forte scoring 15 goals in his inconsistent manner.

Where's your optimism and excitement? I was at this Stirling game (they're :censored:) but still he looked a class act in comparison to our team. If he can be taught to trust his team mates I think he will be great for us

I hope he does, don't get too attached though, a good 12 months and he will be sold because you never know when he might get injured.

Given the length of contract remaining, age, and injury record I don't think Forte is worth more than £100k. But he's the best goalscorer we've had in a long timer, a known quantity, and I don't buy this logic that his injury record means we should move him on, especially given Dunn and Gunning.

I'd rather keep him.

(As an aside, before the inevitable 'typical Latics undisclosed fee FFS' posts start, I just did a quick check: of 148 transfers with fees this summer so far - excluding loans, frees, etc - only 46 listed a fee, almost always well over £1m. Only two transfers with a fee of less than £1m were disclosed. So it ain't us, it's everyone.)

Edited by Crusoe

Is Kelly setting himself up for the 3-5-2 formation?

Mills to replace Forte, the disciplined Croft on the other side. Turner and Cassidy up top. Winchester/Dunn, Jones, Kelly in middle. Wilson, Gunning and Edmundson/new signing.

Someone on Twitter has it spot on: "board know the price of everything and the value of nothing".

Edited by NewBlue

I'm not so much concerned about Forte leaving but who will we bring in to replace him. Poleon playing out on the left, Green can do so too, Mills possibly?

It's his goals that need replacing so I'm trusting that our number goal scorer will be replaced with someone who can score goals.

I can't really see how we've strengthened from last season at moment so hoping DK comes good between now and end of August when window closes.

2 x central defenders, a midfielder and now a striker we desperately need.

Theo Robinson would be a shout, released by Donny and not fixed up anywhere yet I don't think.

One thing I've noticed about Rhys Turner is his composure in front of goal when he's put through. If Cassidy can stay fit and put him through I don't think we'll miss Forte too much..I hope so anyway