Glastonbury 2015

Matt

I'm so not down with the kids, the only acts I'm bothered about watching (from my sofa) are Run The Jewels, Jon Hopkins, Spiritualized, Young Fathers and possibly Jamie XX. If I was there this year I would definitely by a casualty in one of the weirdy beardy fields by now.

Courteeners were excellent last night. Just watched the Macabees also very good.. Going to latitude in a couple of weeks with my kids, band called the districts on who I've never heard of, watched them last might and was impressed.looking forward to the Staves tomorrow and think the Who will smash it. Shame about the Libertines......

I'm so not down with the kids, the only acts I'm bothered about watching (from my sofa) are Run The Jewels, Jon Hopkins, Spiritualized, Young Fathers and possibly Jamie XX. If I was there this year I would definitely by a casualty in one of the weirdy beardy fields by now.

If it helps, I've no idea who any of these acts are.

Apparently*, about 75% of Glastonbury mopes voted Tory in the election. I bet they've stopped letting the crusties in for free as well. When was the tipping point? I'm guessing somewhere around the time when Somerset police threatened to close the whole thing down because of a lack of security. IIRC, Somerset police (somewhat suspiciously) said the only way the festival would be allowed to continue would be if Mean Fiddler took over security...and so it came to pass. I won't speculate as to whether money changed hands in exchange for that stipulation, but it doesn't take a genius.

*Meaning: I've seen some highly dubious stats that I'd like to believe.

My 5 year old girl loved Wolf Alice & Ellie Rose.

My 4 year old lad enjoyed Slaves.

(They were both supposed to be going to bed while they were on though).

My kids could become engrossed in lawn bowls, if the alternative was going to bed.

Apparently*, about 75% of Glastonbury mopes voted Tory in the election. I bet they've stopped letting the crusties in for free as well. When was the tipping point? I'm guessing somewhere around the time when Somerset police threatened to close the whole thing down because of a lack of security. IIRC, Somerset police (somewhat suspiciously) said the only way the festival would be allowed to continue would be if Mean Fiddler took over security...and so it came to pass. I won't speculate as to whether money changed hands in exchange for that stipulation, but it doesn't take a genius.

Well that and the fact they couldn't deal with the problem of gatecrashers peaking in 2002 with 250,000 people attending the festival where only 100,000 tickets were sold. Though only a minor point obviously.

Well that and the fact they couldn't deal with the problem of gatecrashers peaking in 2002 with 250,000 people attending the festival where only 100,000 tickets were sold. Though only a minor point obviously.

there was plenty of room, what was the problem?

Same thing happened in 1995 - including the collapse of the "fence" up above the stone circle. I paid good money (£5) to go under that fence.

Yup and quite a few other years.

In a post Hillsborough world (and also post Roskilde where 9 people died in 2000 following a crush) there probably was an argument to say that Eavis wasn't handling the security well and that it needed the involvement of a more organised festival operator.

It has become gentrified to an extent but I think it was the only way for it to be sustainable. Though 75% tory, erm, nah!

Edited by jimsleftfoot

Yup and quite a few other years.

In a post Hillsborough world (and also post Roskilde where 9 people died in 2000 following a crush) there probably was an argument to say that Eavis wasn't handling the security well and that it needed the involvement of a more organised festival operator.

It has become gentrified to an extent but I think it was the only way for it to be sustainable. Though 75% tory, erm, nah!

I remember* in 1995 a terrific crush on a bridge after Oasis. Harry Hill was trying to drive across it at the same time as about 100,000 people were on the move in both directions. Solution: walk over Harry Hill's car. I reckon about 10,000 people jumped on his bonnet that night.

*was told about it six months later.

I remember* in 1995 a terrific crush on a bridge after Oasis. Harry Hill was trying to drive across it at the same time as about 100,000 people were on the move in both directions. Solution: walk over Harry Hill's car. I reckon about 10,000 people jumped on his bonnet that night.

*was told about it six months later.

Serves Harry right for being lazy!

Was away all weekend so not seen much of this years Glastonbury. Caught up with the Courteeners set (brilliant as always) and the Libertines.

Libertines seemed very disappointing. No urgency or spark about them any more. They were absolutely brilliant before they first split up, but they are a shadow of their former selves now.

Saw the Who at Hyde Park on Friday, and they were quality, so will probably give them a watch, though it will probably be exactly the same!

Been a couple of times to Glastonbury, its just an absolutely brilliant place. So much to see and do. Even if you don't like any of the line up, you can still have a great time. The hill above the park stage is ace. Sitting up there with a few beers admiring the view is a fantastic way to spend a few hours.

I was at Glastonbury this year. Saw the Oldham flag a few times but never got close enough to find out who was holding it or chat to them.

Not sure about the stats you quote but on the Sunday they give 80,000 tickets (free) to people from the surrounding towns and villages to make up for the inconvenience. I've no doubt who them lot vote. Turning up in their chinos, pressed shirts and Hunter wellies.

This year there must have been some dodgy tickets for sale in Liverpool. Every other person there (until the Sunday) seemed to be a scouser.

John Cooper-Clarke has a new poem about Oldham 'Trouble at Mall'