Labour leadership hustings, foxes and what have the unions ever done for us?

Matt

Labour Leadership  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Please vote

• Andy Burnham
    • Yvette Cooper
    • Liz Kendall
    • Jeremy Corbyn

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aren't far left politics not now the political equivalent of what was the long ball game??

Cameron - Man City

Blair - Man United

Thatcher - Real Madrid

Corbyn - Wimbledon circa 1988

Put it like this what the current Labour party is doing is the equivalent of when David Moyes (Ed Miliband) failed at Manchester United the supporters then turn round and blame Alex Ferguson (Tony Blair) and then opt to appoint Brian Robson as the successor.

Put it like this what the current Labour party is doing is the equivalent of when David Moyes (Ed Miliband) failed at Manchester United the supporters then turn round and blame Alex Ferguson (Tony Blair) and then opt to appoint Brian Robson as the successor.

Not Ralph Milne?

Not sure why anyone in the Labour party would want anything other than Corbyn. If you want what the other three have to offer just vote Tory.

It's all about "getting elected" nowadays though innit.

Rather than being principled and standing up for what you believe in.

They don't even pretend otherwise anymore and most Brits seem fine with that....

It's all about "getting elected" nowadays though innit.

Rather than being principled and standing up for what you believe in.

They don't even pretend otherwise anymore and most Brits seem fine with that....

Eventually things have to change, perhaps we have reached the tipping point where principles win the day. It is all too easy to get carried along with what seems like the easy option, lets hope that there is a principled electorate out there.

Eventually things have to change, perhaps we have reached the tipping point where principles win the day. It is all too easy to get carried along with what seems like the easy option, lets hope that there is a principled electorate out there.

Sort of assumes that Corbyn's principles and his means of achieving them are correct. He could win a 200 seat majority and he wouldn't nationalise the energy firms.

I've broken my usual rule and actually followed politics during the recess. All but decided to vote Corbyn. It's a punt based on a few things. He's the only one who believes in something. The conventional wisdom says he can't win in Peterborough or Nuneaton, but those voters haven't had the chance to vote for someone who believes something (Tory or Labour) for a nearly 20 years.

The Corbyn offer to the electorate is genuinely new - as new as Thatcher's was in 1979. It's so crazy people might actually go for it.

The other candidates aren't like Brown or Blair or Kinnock. They're more like Ed Miliband. Miliband's policy caution was a one-shot opportunity. It narrowly failed to work, but it did fail. Time for something different.

And the Blairite MPs who don't like popular movements interfering in politics, which they consider to be their own exclusive domain, have to get off the pot or :censored:. They can :censored: off in any number of ways - new party or new job, for instance - but :censored: off they must.

Aren't a lot of the 'up and coming' Labour MPs Blairites?

Tristram Hunt, Umunna, De Piero, Reynolds etc.

They've managed the square root of :censored: all in five years. But they were snarky about Miliband because he wasn't his brother. I genuinely wonder whether they'd be happier with an Osborne Govt than with a Corbyn one.

I've broken my usual rule and actually followed politics during the recess. All but decided to vote Corbyn. It's a punt based on a few things. He's the only one who believes in something. The conventional wisdom says he can't win in Peterborough or Nuneaton, but those voters haven't had the chance to vote for someone who believes something (Tory or Labour) for a nearly 20 years.

The Corbyn offer to the electorate is genuinely new - as new as Thatcher's was in 1979. It's so crazy people might actually go for it.

The other candidates aren't like Brown or Blair or Kinnock. They're more like Ed Miliband. Miliband's policy caution was a one-shot opportunity. It narrowly failed to work, but it did fail. Time for something different.

And the Blairite MPs who don't like popular movements interfering in politics, which they consider to be their own exclusive domain, have to get off the pot or :censored:. They can :censored: off in any number of ways - new party or new job, for instance - but :censored: off they must.

But the problem with voters (those uppity proles) is that they thought Ed would bankrupt the country like Gordy did with his hidden magic money trees. Corbyn plans to plant a much bigger tree. People know New Labour spent a load on popular things, but they weren't for more of it when the roof fell in. I think Labour need to try harder to find a realistic way to oppose.

But the problem with voters (those uppity proles) is that they thought Ed would bankrupt the country like Gordy did with his hidden magic money trees. Corbyn plans to plant a much bigger tree. People know New Labour spent a load on popular things, but they weren't for more of it when the roof fell in. I think Labour need to try harder to find a realistic way to oppose.

I honestly don't know where to start with this bollocks. What does that last sentence even mean?

I honestly don't know where to start with this bollocks. What does that last sentence even mean?

Not manning the phone lines for Ed this time?

I mean they need some sort of Philosophy and policies that differentiate them other than spending more money.

I would love to hear Malcom Tucker's take on this shambles.

It's a bit of a shame that Iannucci decided enough was enough really. There's always so much material available! I'm still disappointed that Malcolm went out with a whimper, but I kind of get where they were coming from with it. It reminded me very much of

*spoiler if you haven't seen The Wire*

Omar's death

in the sense that they're these big characters/personalities, but ultimately they're actually just a tiny grain of sand in the grand scheme of things.

Not quite sure why I felt the need to offer that piece of fag packet analysis. Sorry.

Not manning the phone lines for Ed this time?

I mean they need some sort of Philosophy and policies that differentiate them other than spending more money.

There are plenty of policies that differ from the Tories...the fact that you can't see that because all you think about is money says more about you. How's Osborne's deficit reduction plan going anyway? To the extent that it's mainly a ruse to hurt the poor and the young and protect and enrich potential Tory voters, it's going quite well.

There are plenty of policies that differ from the Tories...the fact that you can't see that because all you think about is money says more about you. How's Osborne's deficit reduction plan going anyway? To the extent that it's mainly a ruse to hurt the poor and the young and protect and enrich potential Tory voters, it's going quite well.

It's going very badly. He's still pursuing an aggressive Keynesian high spending and borrowing policy. It'll be OK when we have the People's Bank so we just make as much money as we need.

It's going very badly. He's still pursuing an aggressive Keynesian high spending and borrowing policy. It'll be OK when we have the People's Bank so we just make as much money as we need.

This is to assume he's pursuing any economic policy at all. He isn't. He's pursuing a political one. :censored: the nation as long as it puts George and the Tories in the position of maximum opportunity.

• 2 weeks later...

I suffer some of those places from time to time via the prudent use of Tesco vouchers - the service can be shocking.

And the vast majority of that 8% will just be heading back to Eastern Europe.

Nice one Unite. You "focus on the issues".

I suffer some of those places from time to time via the prudent use of Tesco vouchers - the service can be shocking.

And the vast majority of that 8% will just be heading back to Eastern Europe.

Nice one Unite. You "focus on the issues".

Have you been reading The Mail again? What the :censored: does it matter if the waiter or waitress happens to be sending the money people give them as a tip is sent to Eastern Europe? I thought you were all for people using their own money as they see fit.