Bolton Wanderers (friendly)

I get the impression Kelly is still identifying the best personnel at the moment rather than the formation and style of play. The fact he made consistent small scale changes throughout the second half didn't help the players and they looked confused as to the roles they were playing.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought we started very brightly, showing lots of attacking intent with many numbers in the opposition half and attacking the edge of their box early on. It was refreshing to see so much rotation amongst the top 3/4 players with Poleon and Green causing problems with their switching of positions. I think these 2 could have a big season; agreed that both will make wrong decisions 5/10 times but that is the reason why they are with us in League 1 and not Leeds and Everton. Both are still very young but you ask the opposition which 2 players caused them the most problems last night and I would have a very good guess they would say Green and Poleon.

It was good to see Liam Kelly also getting beyond the ball and supporting our attacking play. I think what is going to be important for us if we are to start games with that much attacking intent is to get that goal in the first 15 cause once Bolton settled in lets be honest we chased the ball for the next 75 minutes with Pratley and Feeney in particular showing their class.

I thought the whole back 4 looked out of sorts Gunning in particular who may turn good once he is fit but he seems a very long way off that point IMO. I thought Mills struggled also and it was evident to see that B.Wilson was playing under pressure with the amount of times he gave the ball away.

I think the signs are there that we wont be as predictable with the ball like we were under LJ and DH last season - it make take 10 games or so though for us to really find a rhythm but in the mean time we need to shape up defensively.

On Saturday I would like to see us win more of our individual battles as I think that's where we fell short most last night.

Turner and Winchester for me had very quiet games.....

Edited by melia

With Gunning you will get a defender with championship ability and thinking in a conference body. His injury has robbed him of his mobility and it seems he will always look like he is limping - has improved since Chester. A back three (or five) with Edmundson, Wilson and Gunning could work with Gunning doing the organisation. A back four might be more problematic but Gunning will be desperate to play and is worth the gamble.

With Gunning you will get a defender with championship ability and thinking in a conference body. His injury has robbed him of his mobility and it seems he will always look like he is limping - has improved since Chester. A back three (or five) with Edmundson, Wilson and Gunning could work with Gunning doing the organisation. A back four might be more problematic but Gunning will be desperate to play and is worth the gamble.

If that was Championship ability then Liam Feeney will be scoring 50 goals this season for Bolton in that league.

*Disclaimer: pre-season friendlies count for very little*

People who take any notice of friendlies also stare at planes and prefer Pepsi to Coca-Cola.

Pepsi is nicer than Coke.

Poleon was up for it and linked up well with midfield, but still needs work on that final ball. Green is a gob:censored:e but has obvious talent, just needs to stop trying to do it all by himself. Gunning is slow but hopefully will improve. Kelly and Jones are still the dog's.

North Stand looks mint.

Didn't have any food but the hotdogs look smaller and the coffee a better make.

I am sure I remember Latics having a 100% record in pre-season once. Started the season with 5 straight defeats and didn't score a goal.

A totally worthless judge of form IMO. They are about one thing, and one thing only...fitness. If there is a second thing, its to organise a beer filled tour to the Isle of Man.

It's yet another default comment that gets banded about when you lose to higher table opposition...a much as he improved in his last interview after Stirling (probably because there was a few positives to talk about after a 5-0 win) he went back to his default comments last night.

£10 to playershare if he doesn't say the same thing after our First round Capital One result.

Worrying if he genuinely believes that...

They'll be nearer the bottom end. Bunch of lower table players.

Have to disagree, they have some decent players, the pace of their counter attacks and off the ball movement was very good.

Edited by BP1960

Have to disagree, they have some decent players, the pace of their counter attacks and off the ball movement was very good.

Come on BP1969 you must know by now that whoever we get beat by are always classed as bang average. It's all our own fault when we lose.

Edited by palmer1

Compare their squad to the rest of that league and they're nowhere near. Wait til we play Boro...

Impressed by Pratley though. Thought he was a class act.

Compare their squad to the rest of that league and they're nowhere near. Wait til we play Boro...

Impressed by Pratley though. Thought he was a class act.

But you haven't seen the rest of the league yet - then again neither have I so we both might be right or wrong.