Holiday advice - Rome

Been twice, but only on organised day trips from a cruise.

Familiarise yourself with the public transport network and you should be fine.

If somebody dressed as a centurion offers to pose for pictures with you outside the Colosseum tell them to piss off before they try to charge you €20.

Don't buy food and drink in tourist areas unless you're very wealthy. Beware beggars and pickpockets.

Thanks chaps. We've been a bit thrown by how cheap it all seems, decent hotel rooms very central for half of :censored: all. Sort of wondering if we've missed something. The robbery is standard I guess. My dad got done twice there but I wouldn't have beeb.

PS Roger, did you make it to the Caledonia?

Thanks chaps. We've been a bit thrown by how cheap it all seems, decent hotel rooms very central for half of :censored: all. Sort of wondering if we've missed something. The robbery is standard I guess. My dad got done twice there but I wouldn't have beeb.

PS Roger, did you make it to the Caledonia?

The Italians seem to take August off- to the point where a lot of the Municple buildings in cities are barely open. So I can see September and October being cheap as a consequence. I wouldn't recommend where I stayed in Rome, out of town and not seemingly on a public transport route, but it did have a swimming pool, it was quite close to the Vatican though, where you could probably spend several days on its own.

I've been and stayed centrally (can't for the life of me find the hotel name) for naff all too (we were there in March 2013)... so don't be shocked by the costs, it seems to be a very seasonal city from my limited exposure to it. It's a beautiful place though. You kind of have to do the touristy stuff, given how iconic most of it is. If you're reasonably fit and healthy then I would say it's an entirely walk-able city, get on Google Maps before you head out and start to think about some routes so you can estimate walking time, at the very least you can walk between two or three things, then jump in a cab (they will try and fleece you!) to the next area of interest.

It's a slog but going to the top of the Vatican is totally worth it too - the view is beathtaking from up there!

We pissed about with public transport all trip until the end of the last day when we got a taxi which turned out to be dirt cheap.

For St Peters make the effort to get up early and get there for when it opens - straight in.

We got there about 7am if memory serves me correctly then, after that, queued about half an hour for the Sistine Chapel.

Food is amazing and dirt cheap a street away from any of the main sights or squares.

Similar to what Ackey says, just walk about. There's something you recognise round every corner. It's ridiculous.

Read Angels & Demons by Dan Brown before you go. Utter tosh but a great intro to the main places in Rome.

And if you don't get decent travel data rates with your phone (which you should these days, as they're all readying for the EU legislation which enforces it) then get a pre-loaded map app (your GPS will still work) for all the mooching about. It's a great place for wandering but also can be a little confusing as a lot of the winding narrow roads look the same.

Went this year and stayed somewhere near the trevi fountain

We booked online for Coliseum and picked tickets up inside - its a separate queue and we only queued 10 minutes so well worth it for saving time

Defiantly recommend 'Santa Maria della Concezione dei Cappuccini' which has a crypt decorated in bones. It's a bit freaky but unbelievable to look at - I'd looked it up online and i was still totally gobsmacked. Isn't too far from the Spanish steps if your taking that in and it was fairly cheap and quick to get through.

Palatine Hill will come with your Coliseum ticket and that place is huge...wasn't that impressive and ended up wasting a bit too much time.

Basically, I'd recommend walking around and diving in places that look of interest. I saw inside a couple of amazing churches just as I noticed them whilst walking. Loved the place, can't wait to go back....Street food and restaurants are plentiful but can't praise 'Ristorante Baccano' enough for a meal and a drink.....

EDIT - Stayed here - http://www.bbtreviroma.com/(2 minute walk from Trevi Fountain)

Edited by Fruitygoo

Thanks a lot for all the tips. We've gone for what looks like a really flash apartment in a slightly scuzzy area near the Uni as a trade off. Can't be too much to worry veterans of Croydon and Toxteth. Definitely will look into the snide queue jumping tactics. Might be looking at one or two excursions a day and lots of wandering.

I can foresee a domestic about whether our boy is mature enough for the Sistene Chapel.

Some tips I sent to a friend recently:

This is where you can get tickets for the Colosseum: http://www.coopculture.it/en/colosseo-e-shop.cfm

If you scroll down about halfway you can get tickets for the ‘colosseum, underground and third ring tours’ which was definitely worth it. You will need to buy that and the normal ticket.

The normal ticket also entitles you to visit the Roman Forum and Palatine Hill (valid for 2 days – 1 entry into each).

Definitely go to Pantheon, it’s just an amazing building considering how old it is and the roof is incredible. And it’s free

Altar of the Fatherland is at the end of the main Roman Forum – this building was built in the last 100 years and is a temple honouring Italy’s first king. You can pay to go on the roof and get some great views of the city.

Vatican – bit out of the way and quite expensive to get into – but there is loads to see there (something like 25 museums) and the Sistine Chapel is pretty special. Pre-book this!! The queue on the day is so long, if you pre-book you skip the queue.

Piazza Navona in the west side of the City is worth a visit, all the resturants on the main plaza are very overpriced but worth a visit just to see the fountains and the buildings. Also just next to the Piazza is the best gellato shop in the world: http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g187791-d1536028-Reviews-La_Gelateria_Frigidarium-Rome_Lazio.html

Sunday 30th August

Roma V Juve

Good shout.

Edited to add:it would be if I'd read the date right.

Edited again to add:it's the Lazio derby (Lazio v Frosinone) while we're out there.Yirss.

Edited by rosa

You can if you don't fear God's wrath and the guard doesn't see you! :wink:

I didn't mind taking photos of Chaddy jnr taking the piss in the Protestant cathedral in Dublin, but, y'know.... the Sistine chapel's a REAL church.

And as much as I know this is top #BANTZ I will draw a swift line under this, given the sheer volume of partisan bull:censored: we see on here! There'll be no debate here. All churches have an equal place in the world. So. 'nuff said, talk about Rome and what not.

Me and my lass went last year. Absolutely adored the place.

We stayed on the edge of the city. Public transport was decent enough. The price for an 'all-day saver' as they are over here are cheap, but hope you're relatively central. Going back to the hotel was not ab option because it took 20 minutes, plus the walk, wait etc. That meant be tramped about from morning til midnight. City of a but of romance? I wslas in, lolled out and out cold within two minutes.

Splendid city. They take pride in their local water system ao all water from fountains etc is free. We found a blinding ice-cream stall on the left of the Venezia as you look at it from the roundabout. For something so central, I had to query the lad serving when he announced the price. Dirt cheap (in comparison).

Crossing roads. When you experience it let me know what you thought and how you got on. Terrifying. They work on a system of trust and fearlessness.