today is a dark dark day

OAFCM35

So I'm sat there on my sofa watching united vs spurs killing the time until I tune in to laticsplayer to listen to the match, when in comes my son from playing outside with his friends and takes a pew next to me and starts quizzing me about the game.."whos playing?" "whats the score?" "who do you want to win?" etc etc then the questioning takes more sinister turn "families can support different teams can't they dad?" I quickly tried to avoid the question and threw a curve ball at him but then he utter the words that shook me to the core "can we go and watch united play next time dad?" :cry:

My lad is only 5 so I need to nip this in the bud before this gets any worse, I've opted to take the softly softly approach for now and I've got his grandfather on stand by to up the ante if its needed but I can't for the life of me figure out where I've gone wrong he's been coming to the games since he was 3, last season he attended around a dozen games, he's had latics kits since birth and his middle name is Ritchie for christ sake!!

Tonight I hope that you can all join me in prayer :cardinal:

Edited by OAFCM35

Do what Adrian Durham did with his son who wanted to see Arsenal instead of Posh, granted he was a little older (10 i think)but...

He sat his son down and explained you should only support one team and it was his decision to make but it was a decision for life. He couldn't swap back. Whatever he decided was up to him and as his father he would accept it. However...

If he supports Posh he may be on his own amongst his friends but his Grandfather and his Father were Posh as its the family's team, cousins etc. He would be able to attend games in person with his Dad who would buy him a new shirt every year plus any merchandise and as he gets older they can have this common bond which would last a lifetime.

If he choose Arsenal, no games, no shirts no following his father or Grandfather. He would be on his own!

He made it clear it was his choice and that he would accept it but once made it was for life. No swapping back or changing his mind. He gave him a week to seriously think about it.

He's now a Peterborough fan!

Do what Adrian Durham did with his son who wanted to see Arsenal instead of Posh, granted he was a little older (10 i think)but...

He sat his son down and explained you should only support one team and it was his decision to make but it was a decision for life. He couldn't swap back. Whatever he decided was up to him and as his father he would accept it. However...

If he supports Posh he may be on his own amongst his friends but his Grandfather and his Father were Posh as its the family's team, cousins etc. He would be able to attend games in person with his Dad who would buy him a new shirt every year plus any merchandise and as he gets older they can have this common bond which would last a lifetime.

If he choose Arsenal, no games, no shirts no following his father or Grandfather. He would be on his own!

He made it clear it was his choice and that he would accept it but once made it was for life. No swapping back or changing his mind. He gave him a week to seriously think about it.

He's now a Peterborough fan!

This, or just disown him.

You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

This, or just disown him.

You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Waterboarding maybe an option, i will have to talk to his mother first though..

Many will say I was dancing with the devil in the first place by having the rags on the box in my defence I read an article on sky sports news saying they was playing a third choice keeper and was fully expecting a Harry Kane goalfest!

So I'm sat there on my sofa watching united vs spurs killing the time until I tune in to laticsplayer to listen to the match, when in comes my son from playing outside with his friends and takes a pew next to me and starts quizzing me about the game.."whos playing?" "whats the score?" "who do you want to win?" etc etc then the questioning takes more sinister turn "families can support different teams can't they dad?" I quickly tried to avoid the question and threw a curve ball at him but then he utter the words that shook me to the core "can we go and watch united play next time dad?" :cry:

My lad is only 5 so I need to nip this in the bud before this gets any worse, I've opted to take the softly softly approach for now and I've got his grandfather on stand by to up the ante if its needed but I can't for the life of me figure out where I've gone wrong he's been coming to the games since he was 3, last season he attended around a dozen games, he's had latics kits since birth and his middle name is Ritchie for christ sake!!

Tonight I hope that you can all join me in prayer :cardinal:

If I can be of any help, here is what I did when my 2 lads did the same, I just let it run its own course, when they started their 1st school all they got was Utd this and Utd that.

I now have a 22 and 20 year old who only love one team and they can be found alongside me at most Latics games. Costs me a bleeding fortune mind you.

I've gone all in from the off with my 5 year old (which would've surprised me before I had kids).

He refers to them as "the naughty red ones" after numerous conversations about their incessant cheating, surrounding of refs etc... :lol:

(I realise this might not last).

I explain to him that although we don't really want City to win when they're on that they're "alright", just in case.

I could just about live with that, given the alternative, and my dad wouldn't turn in his grave quite so much.

Grim times we live in though aren't they?

My dad took me to Latics on occasion from the age of 3 but I don't remember giving much of a :censored:.

It was when I started attending with older lads when I was about 12 that I got the bug.

I would have said I "supported" Liverpool until then.

My lad loves his Oldham kits though.

He's looking forward to his first night game on Wednesday.

He's got a favourite player (Dominic Poleon) and often talks fondly about the time he was singing Jose Baxter Baby on his own prompting him to score :grin:

As a glimmer of hope - he had football training tonight with Heyside Juniors and I'd say 60-70% of kids had Oldham kits on....

When my lad popped out in the maternity wing I was left alone with him for a few minutes while Mrs o4u was whisked away for a shower or something.

Holding the young babe in arms, feeling slightly uncomfortable. But an overwhelming love.

I wandered over to the window and raised him up above my head to look down on Boundary Park. No more than 15 minutes old.

Poor sod. He gad the choice of team. No undue pressure. He chose Latics.

My first football match was a 4-0 home defeat. Afterwards on the drive home, all teary eyed, I told my Dad I was going to support United.

He laughed hysterically at me, I was embarrassed and now I hate United more than anything else in existence.

I do think that most kids pick their team in their early teens though, or at least are adaptable until that age. Although, now Latics are not really directly rivals with either Manchester club anymore, and Manchester sucks in the surrounding towns, you'll find more and more kids who say they support both teams.

Edited by NewBlue

Our lass is a Mackem and her family, bloody loads of them, are all Sunderland supporters. Her cousin's young'un suddenly announced he liked Man Utd, which is absolutely disgusting considering they're over one hundred mile away.

His grandad is a Red, which again is disgusting. Anyway, the lad's father took him to the MK Dons League Cup game last season - mental game.

He now wears nowt but Mackem tops. He let it run its course and used a game to persuade him otherwise, but it was a touchy subject cause it should be the father encouraging that sort of stuff.

(The young'un did have Hartlepool as his second team but a little bet between me and him on FIFA means it's now Latics! He's 7 and I'm 25... I won't lie, I took the game very seriously).

• 2 weeks later...