New Manager Thread [Mergomatic Active]

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just come across this on Twitter .....

Well my dad is good friends and works with John Gilder from GMR radio, he's been telling my dad that He's been talking to Tony Philliskirk and he's very much up for the challenge of first team coach with Peter Shirtlift as his number 2, he said because he his coming to the end of his career and is not bothered if he gets sacked. Watch this space guys, for me that would be a great appointment. #Oafc #Keepthefaith

heard a rumour of Tony philiskirk finnaly taking the managers chair with :censored:rliff as his assisitant as he thinks he has done all he can as a youth coach and wants a crack at management before retirement he has nothing to lose and nothing to prove so if it did go wrong dont think he would leave under to much of a cloud

Tony P and Shirtliff would be my preferred choice. But my only concern is their knowledge of lower league footballers as we need to sign a number of players.

I wonder if our scouting system (do we have one?) has a short list of players for the new season? But I suspect most of these will be heading to Nottingham!

heard a rumour of Tony philiskirk finnaly taking the managers chair with :censored:rliff as his assisitant as he thinks he has done all he can as a youth coach and wants a crack at management before retirement he has nothing to lose and nothing to prove so if it did go wrong dont think he would leave under to much of a cloud

We can only hope, give him the job for life! Proper club servant he is!

Even if he fails miserably? All up for giving him the job as he's more than earnt it but if he's :censored: I'd expect him to be relieved of his first team managerial duties like anyone else.

My worry is what if he is :censored:, goes on to be sacked and we are then left with near on nobody at the club to give us any identity.

I would like to see him as the new manager - he knows the players, has played at a high level, already working for peanuts at Oldham - all the required qualifications that corney would like, especially the last bit.

TBH I think the fans would be prepared to give him a fair go too

And he wasn't first choice... A sliding doors moment perhaps. How much our defence transformed was extraordinary.

Yes Gerrard was a key signing (ahem, thanks Simon....), but surely it also reflects well on Shirtliff that he was effectively able to micro-manage someone of that character along with youngsters like Dieng and Coleman, a tricky mardy one in James Wilson, and a player who seemed destined to be out the club and way past it... In B Wilson.... - but he got the best out of all them.

Edited by IceStationLatic

Doesn't seem to be getting much support, but Redfearn was doing lots of scouting and note taking at L1 and L2 games before he got his last job. That's more research than many who will be applying...

The dreaded 100 page dossier to impress the board, its worked before.

If Tony P wants it this time, the job should be his.

Even if he fails miserably? All up for giving him the job as he's more than earnt it but if he's :censored: I'd expect him to be relieved of his first team managerial duties like anyone else.

My worry is what if he is :censored:, goes on to be sacked and we are then left with near on nobody at the club to give us any identity.

Definitely give it to TP if that is an option. Maybe with a guarantee of his Youth Job back if t doesn't work it.

And he wasn't first choice... A sliding doors moment perhaps. How much our defence transformed was extraordinary.

Yes Gerrard was a key signing (ahem, thanks Simon....), but surely it also reflects well on Shirtliff that he was effectively able to micro-manage someone of that character along with youngsters like Dieng and Coleman, a tricky mardy one in James Wilson, and a player who seemed destined to be out the club and way past it... In B Wilson.... - but he got the best out of all them.

Fair assessment.

It does open the question were Main and Palmer his signings too. Not doubting Shez, and take nothing away from him, and I am sure they were, just curious.

Tony P and Shirtliff would be my preferred choice. But my only concern is their knowledge of lower league footballers as we need to sign a number of players.

I wonder if our scouting system (do we have one?) has a short list of players for the new season? But I suspect most of these will be heading to Nottingham!

There's little scouting these days, agents will be hawking players (and managers) around from club to club.

Edited by BP1960

Tony P, with Shirtliff as Asst, promote from within for Youth Manager. Ditch the home for ex-cons and make BP home for taking a chance and promoting more Youths.

Sorted.

Can go with this it did work for crewe for years just think with the rise of "acadamys" and the under 21 leagues at higher levels there are less rough diamonds falling out of the system and they want alot more than we can aford

Think latics finances are far worse than most of us realise.

Would bet that most of next season's budget has already been spent last season hence why Shez left.

TP with Shirtliff is not only a good idea it is probably the only one we can afford!!!

Think latics finances are far worse than most of us realise.

Would bet that most of next season's budget has already been spent last season hence why Shez left.

TP with Shirtliff is not only a good idea it is probably the only one we can afford!!!

based on assumption or your sound knowledge of Oldham Athletic's finances?

Lots of people in the know about about the reason Shez left and the clubs finances in general.

I'm amazed none of you predicted that Shez was going to leave before he did.

It's amazing how many know so much AFTER the event. All your sources climb out of the woodwork and non posters post again.

It's no wonder we've been referred to as 'knowledable fans' by certain pundits...

No based on facts like Shez left because of money.

Based on the fact that we sold S/T for next season 2 months early.

Based on the fact that money from the New stand is not contributing fully.

Time will prove me right unfortunately.

Edited by losesome

For those stating about easy movements of odds, on the very tenuous basis that Connor Brown has tweeted about Keith Curle visiting Manchester for a potential signing, that could mean he is on the move evena loan, and that would likely need the managers approval and the only person that could approve now would be a manager in employment. PLus I was the first to suggest Shirtliff, I have stuck a £5 on Peter Shirtliff at 5/1 with Skybet.

The odds are still 5/1 after my bet.

Further bit of info for those that follow or have an opinion on the way betting odds are set.

I asked Skybet for odds on TP about 45 mins ago. 15 mins later they tweeted their traders would provide a price. They have just loaded him (I did a bit of F5'ing) and launched him at 16/1. I put another £5 on, odds have remained at 16/1.

But we matched Notts County offer so it isn't a fact he left due to money...you assume.

Yes we sold season tickets early that is a fact, anything after that you assume.

Edited by palmer1