New Manager Thread [Mergomatic Active]

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"And all signs point towards the ideal candidate being a figure who, like Sheridan, has some knowledge of the club's inner workings.

It is also understood to be unlikely that Athletic will again appoint someone with no previous relevant experience."

If true that certainly narrows down the options.

Makes me feel more convinced by the board's thinking than previously. Feeney would be underwhelming though. His Newport team looked pretty average when I saw them at Exeter, played 4-4-2 with Conor Wilkinson and Scott Boden looking a handful but the rest of the team were low on quality.

If it's someone with knowledge of the club's inner workings then surely that would rule Bunn out? He hasn't been employed by the club for 26 years.

Given our budget is around/just over £1.3m for the year, I think Corney has three options open:

1) Appoint an experienced manager - will likely divide the fan's as we won't be able to attract the better proven managers in our league i.e. Steve Evans

2) Appoint a retired/retiring player looking to get into management - Unless was a world-class player like Scholes then likely to piss most of the fan as many want an experienced manager (however appointing an experienced manager is likely to divide fans as above) and will likely be classed as being a cheap option (despite working relatively well for us in the past)

3) Appoint someone who is a club legend/well thought of amongst fans - Fans will probably say it is a cheap option but are more willing to give the manager time and will deflect some criticism of Corney, at least for now

Silence? there was a statement from Neil Joy yesterday.

Neil Joy says ideally the manager will be in place by Monday 13th June.

The rarely-wrong Chron says the new manager could be in place as soon as the start of next week.

http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news-features/10/oldham-athletic-news/98383/latics-aiming-to-name-new-manager-in-days

With regards to the manager I don't care if they are 35 or 55 just aslong as they know what they are doing and what they are getting into. Last season's examples of 2 rookies who were hopeless and 1 experienced manager who certainly wasn't suggest the experienced approach would be the preferable option.

However if we look at the bigger picture you will see that we have had managers who were rookies who became successful managers. Wigan won the league last season with a manager in his first season in charge. Burton started the season with Hasselbaink who laid the foundations for an expeienced manager to come in and finish the job Barnsley went up with 2 inexperienced managers in charge across the season. Gillingham had a good season with a young manager in charge. The most experienced manager in the league last season was Nigel Adkins who had a disastrous season at Sheffield United.

Thats not to say we shouldn't go with an experienced manager I'd be more than happy to get 1. However let's not rule out a young untried manager based on looking at last season at BP in isolation.

It's abit dissapointing that we have no players on the payroll at the moment who look like they could go into management yet Brian Wilson might one day. Throwing another name out there someone who might step up Adam Lockwood is he interested knows the clubs inner workings strong character showed signs of becoming a future manager while he was here?

Edited by GlossopLatic

Ryan giggs... doesn't look like the special one wants him. .well and truly thrown in at the deep end. .

Starts the month looking at potentially getting the United job finishes the month taking charge of Latics.

Like going on a night out intending to pull Jennifer Lawrence and going home with Susan Boyle.

So the Chron believe all things point toward the new manager having

......... knowledge of the inner workings of the club.

I suppose this is because the club ethos is so unique that to include the other 95% of potential options would be too risky? We're not Liverpool, we're a badly run club on its arse FFS

So the Chron believe all things point toward the new manager having

......... knowledge of the inner workings of the club.

I suppose this is because the club ethos is so unique that to include the other 95% of potential options would be too risky? We're not Liverpool, we're a badly run club on its arse FFS

Ha! Latics own version of the Boot Room, the Plimsoll Room..