New Manager Thread [Mergomatic Active]

Why are some people happy/wanting Kuqi now?

Most were annoyed about the possibility of him becoming manager a couple of years ago.

Fine, he's got a couple of years of managerial experience now. But experience in a league of what sort of quality? What is the standard of the second tier in Finland?

Is it of a higher quality than league one? League two? Non-league?

He's been managing in the top division.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Part of a season in the top league, then in the second division.

What is the standard of Finnish football in comparison to English football?

Part time like in Iceland,but it hasn't stopped them producing decent players.

Shefki, managing and motivating the team supported by Sean O'Driscoll looks a better option (and realistic) than anything else I've seen posted on OWTBs or on Social Media

Finally, something encouraging :OASISscarf:

Part time like in Iceland,but it hasn't stopped them producing decent players.

Every country can produce decent players. It's bound to happen over time, unless your someone like San Marino where it's a lot less likely.

It doesn't mean the decent players are playing in that country though.The most recent national squad had only two players based in Finland.

Finland have a lower co-efficient than Scotland, would we be happy if we approached to sign a manager just promoted from there (excluding Mark Warburton, since Rangers is an exception)?

Assuming Kuqi has completed his coaching badges, he's got credentials equal or better than Lee Johnson did when he took over...

I don't see how having managed in Finland is detrimental to his application. Having managed is surely better than never having managed at all.

O'Driscoll is the man with the English leagues experience, as does Shirtliff.

Edited by NewBlue

Assuming Kuqi has completed his coaching badges, he's got credentials equal or better than Lee Johnson did when he took over...

I don't see how having managed in Finland is detrimental to his application. Having managed is surely better than never having managed at all.

O'Driscoll is the man with the English leagues experience, as does Shirtliff.

Has Kuqi been planning to become a manager since he was a kid? We have the benefit of hindsight with LJ now, but not many fans were happy at the time.

I'm not saying it is detrimental to his application. I'm pointing out that a couple of years ago, most were completely against him possibly getting the job. Now a couple of seasons in Finland, where we have no idea what the standard of football is and he is suddenly a good choice?

He might turn out to be a brilliant appointment. But for fans to go from him not being an option, to him becoming a good choice based on some experience in a league which none of us has any idea about is stupid.

When was the last time Kuqi played, or coached, in the football league? I'd be a little concerned about the depth of his knowledge of League 1 players, or would player recruitment be SOD's job as DoF?

He's been applying for pretty much every League 1 job knocking about from what I can gather, so you'd think he's had his eye on the league to some extent.

No, you don't understand - OWTB rules state clearly that once a person is no longer employed in football he is prevented (in numerous unspecified ways) from paying any attention to, or knowing anything about football and players who play it. Especially League One football & current or potential League One footballers if he's about to manage Oldham in said league.

Just get with the programme and accept that he's been either cryogenically frozen or in a coma all this time rather than preparing for what he hopes will be a successful career in management......

Edited by HarryBosch

Every country can produce decent players. It's bound to happen over time, unless your someone like San Marino where it's a lot less likely.

It doesn't mean the decent players are playing in that country though.The most recent national squad had only two players based in Finland.

Finland have a lower co-efficient than Scotland, would we be happy if we approached to sign a manager just promoted from there (excluding Mark Warburton, since Rangers is an exception)?

A lower :censored:ing what? :huh:

Can't say I'd be overly impressed with taking on Kuqi, after he sulked his way through the second half of his spell at BP as a player. But I don't really think it matters who it is anymore. I'll accept it, so long as: (i) he does the Flying Finn celebration every time we win; and (ii) he refers to himself in the third person in all interviews.

So...presuming it is S O'D and Kuqi, we get an older experienced man with extensive knowledge of lower league football plus a link to a Prem club for possible loans, plus a young manager full of enthusiasm, with a drive to succeed (anyone that saw him play could see that) plus a connection to the club as an ex player...and still people find reason to moan??? Genius!!

Edited by DerbyshireLatic

Has Kuqi been planning to become a manager since he was a kid? We have the benefit of hindsight with LJ now, but not many fans were happy at the time.

I'm not saying it is detrimental to his application. I'm pointing out that a couple of years ago, most were completely against him possibly getting the job. Now a couple of seasons in Finland, where we have no idea what the standard of football is and he is suddenly a good choice?

He might turn out to be a brilliant appointment. But for fans to go from him not being an option, to him becoming a good choice based on some experience in a league which none of us has any idea about is stupid.

I don't know about others, but I'm reasonably happy as long as he's got the experienced head next to him, which O'Driscoll is. In isolation it's far more questionable.

As for if he's always planned to become a manager, I don't have a clue. You'd guess that having played for such a long time late into his career he's had his eye set.

Is that the reason that Lee Johnson is a decent manager anyway?

Can't say I'd be overly impressed with taking on Kuqi, after he sulked his way through the second half of his spell at BP as a player. But I don't really think it matters who it is anymore. I'll accept it, so long as: (i) he does the Flying Finn celebration every time we win; and (ii) he refers to himself in the third person in all interviews.

I still have my Flying Finn t-shirt from his spell as a player - and to think I nearly binned it when Shefki left...

Surely one of the theories behind this is that if SOD is DOF, then if Kuqi goes the way of Darren Kelly then we have a ready made experiences replacement ready to step in who can steady the ship rather than a David Dunn who will just make it worse. Personally I would go with SOD and have done with it.

A lower :censored:ing what? :huh:

Basically how UEFA ranks how good or :censored: a nations league is.

It means Finnish people like Kuqi cant manage in league 1 but Scottish people like Dickov can despite never playing at that level before.

Never said that. I said we wouldn't be happy if the club approached a manager who's got someone out of the Scottish championship only (except Mark Warburton at Rangers). Especially considering quite a few didn't want McCall who finished 3rd in SPL.

So...presuming it is S O'D and Kuqi, we get an older experienced man with extensive knowledge of lower league football plus a link to a Prem club for possible loans, plus a young manager full of enthusiasm, with a drive to succeed (anyone that saw him play could see that) plus a connection to the club as an ex player...and still people find reason to moan??? Genius!!

Every manager has a drive to succeed. That alone isn't enough to employ a manager on. Especially a manager who didn't impress last time and was ridiculed for saying he would break the players.

I don't know about others, but I'm reasonably happy as long as he's got the experienced head next to him, which O'Driscoll is. In isolation it's far more questionable.

As for if he's always planned to become a manager, I don't have a clue. You'd guess that having played for such a long time late into his career he's had his eye set.

Is that the reason that Lee Johnson is a decent manager anyway?

Perhaps, but why employ someone we don't think is good enough in isolation and needs someone such as O'Driscoll next to him? If Kuqi fails, does O'Driscoll get the blame because he's supposed to be the one guiding Kuqi? Your paying two wages for one job. And one of the wages is for someone who hasn't impressed in interview before.

No doubt it is part of the reason why LJ is a decent manager, he'd spent the majority of his life preparing to become a manager.

Surely one of the theories behind this is that if SOD is DOF, then if Kuqi goes the way of Darren Kelly then we have a ready made experiences replacement ready to step in who can steady the ship rather than a David Dunn who will just make it worse. Personally I would go with SOD and have done with it.

But it appears SOD doesn't want the managers job. We can't really afford to be paying two people for one job.