New Manager Thread [Mergomatic Active]

Surely they have just realised that the board is woefully light on football experience. How can that be a bad thing?

Of the boxes that commonly need to be ticked we have (if this goes ahead)

An experienced person who knows this league

An experienced person who we can assume has a wide network of contacts

An experienced person with a decent track record (not perfect but whose is)

A young manager with a connection to the club

A young manager who is not a complete novice

A young manager who undeniably has passion

and if Shirtliff stays then an assistant who as far as we know had a dramatically positive impact on the team when he arrived.

Works for me

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps, but why employ someone we don't think is good enough in isolation and needs someone such as O'Driscoll next to him?

Because we can't afford a single man who can fulfill both roles, or they don't want to be here?

As for Johnson, I'd take a lot of what comes out of his mouth with a large pinch of Cockney car salesman salt...

Bringing in O'Driscoll as a director of football may finally be a sign that Corney wants to change the clubs fortunes around, whilst I'm not totally in love with the appointment of Kuqi - Corney has at least realised that its continuity we need when employing young ambitious managers who sooner or later are going to want to move to pastures new, if you have a man like O'Driscoll in place it offers us some protection when the young whipper snappers continue to :censored: off, he will no doubt have replacements in mind and could steady the ship when the inevitable happens, I suspect his role wont be a full time one and his main involvement will be in a consultancy role unless needed to come in an steady the ship.

Surely they have just realised that the board is woefully light on football experience. How can that be a bad thing?

Of the boxes that commonly need to be ticked we have (if this goes ahead)

An experienced person who knows this league

An experienced person who we can assume has a wide network of contacts

An experienced person with a decent track record (not perfect but whose is)

A young manager with a connection to the club

A young manager who is not a complete novice

A young manager who undeniably has passion

and if Shirtliff stays then an assistant who as far as we know had a dramatically positive impact on the team when he arrived.

Works for me

The first two you can argue Shirtliff has. The bottom 3 seem to be from a manager who hasn't impressed before and appeared to be laughed at last time (but has now suddenly become a brilliant option).

Because we can't afford a single man who can fulfill both roles, or they don't want to be here?

As for Johnson, I'd take a lot of what comes out of his mouth with a large pinch of Cockney car salesman salt...

Fair enough on the first one, but then who does the responsibility fall to? Kuqi or O'Driscoll? If players are playing :censored:, do we blame the manager for tactics or the DoF for signing them? Does Kuqi complain that O'Driscoll is signing players he doesn't want? Does O'Driscoll just sign players he wants, rather than what suits the tactics Kuqi wants to use?

You can take some stuff Johnson says with a pinch of salt, but there's no doubt he's wanted to be a manager most of his life and is well regarded in the game. Whereas Kuqi has been rejected for practically every L1 job since he retired.

Bringing in O'Driscoll as a director of football may finally be a sign that Corney wants to change the clubs fortunes around, whilst I'm not totally in love with the appointment of Kuqi - Corney has at least realised that its continuity we need when employing young ambitious managers who sooner or later are going to want to move to pastures new, if you have a man like O'Driscoll in place it offers us some protection when the young whipper snappers continue to :censored: off, he will no doubt have replacements in mind and could steady the ship when the inevitable happens, I suspect his role wont be a full time one and his main involvement will be in a consultancy role unless needed to come in an steady the ship.

Consultancy role? Didn't Joe Royle get that honour when we appointed Penney?

Bringing in O'Driscoll as a director of football may finally be a sign that Corney wants to change the clubs fortunes around

Can you expand on that statement? Just curious what a DOF brings to the table to change the clubs fortunes.

Unless something has changed, our budget is limited so recruiting a manager, a DOF and an assistant is arguably three times more expensive that recruiting just a manager. This then reduces budget for players so are we implying a DOF will revolutionise the youth set-up etc then that needs even more budget.

I'm just scratching my head why we can't recruit a manager with experience rather than pissing around with a multi-hierarchical management structure that we cannot afford and will just rob us of another player or two.

Also where will TP slot into this? He's the one constant that should remain and be left to nurture the next generation of players.

Shirtliff should remain too as an Assistant Manager so all we need is a Manager. I'd personally be happy with Bunn or Adams as this would potentially bring in the likes of Holden or Marshall who have both openly said they are keen to assist the club. Both great players who can impart their knowledge to our younger players and have connections to bring in players from across the UK.

I'm all for ambition and a massive change but I just see this experiment as another misfiring project that will delay our profession again

Edited by Midsblue

Can you expand on that statement? Just curious what a DOF brings to the table to change the clubs fortunes.

I'm all for ambition and a massive change but I just see this experiment as another misfiring project that will delay our profession again

I have been very pessimistic about our financial situation for quite a few months now.

These proposals would seem to indicate that Administration is not imminent! (At least for the month of July anyway.) Happy days! :drinking45:

I have been very pessimistic about our financial situation for quite a few months now.

These proposals would seem to indicate that Administration is not imminent! (At least for the month of July anyway.) Happy days! :drinking45:

It's Oldham Athletic...glass half empty? We're minesweeping around the pub supping dregs from other punters glasses

Surely one of the theories behind this is that if SOD is DOF, then if Kuqi goes the way of Darren Kelly then we have a ready made experiences replacement ready to step in who can steady the ship rather than a David Dunn who will just make it worse. Personally I would go with SOD and have done with it.

I'd guess it's more O'Driscoll's doing. I bet he comes in on a month to month or non-contract terms. Gives him the flexibility to leave if something else comes along. Probably be gone before the season's out.

I'd guess it's more O'Driscoll's doing. I bet he comes in on a month to month or non-contract terms. Gives him the flexibility to leave if something else comes along. Probably be gone before the season's out.

And then left with a manager who hasn't impressed before and isn't trusted on his own by the board.

Unless something has changed, our budget is limited so recruiting a manager, a DOF and an assistant is arguably three times more expensive that recruiting just a manager. This then reduces budget for players so are we implying a DOF will revolutionise the youth set-up etc then that needs even more budget.

I'm just scratching my head why we can't recruit a manager with experience rather than pissing around with a multi-hierarchical management structure that we cannot afford and will just rob us of another player or two.

Also where will TP slot into this? He's the one constant that should remain and be left to nurture the next generation of players.

Shirtliff should remain too as an Assistant Manager so all we need is a Manager. I'd personally be happy with Bunn or Adams as this would potentially bring in the likes of Holden or Marshall who have both openly said they are keen to assist the club. Both great players who can impart their knowledge to our younger players and have connections to bring in players from across the UK.

To be fair I'm one of their biggest critics but at least they are giving it some bloody consideration.

We can't keep using the same broken model, we need change and maybe this structure will help safe guard the board from making more poor business decisions that impact the football club!

Edited by Blue_Guru

It's interesting that some question the interview technique/performance of Kuqi. Previously appointed managers have provided stand out interviews. DK would appear to be the King of talking the talk. Maybe it's time to appoint someone with the ability/potential to walk the walk, regardless of their adeptness at interview.

My reading of SOD coming in as DOF is simply that he is looking for a better job and so isn't interested in becoming our manager but is happy to help out in the short term. He comes in as DOF and it is no big deal if he leaves again a few weeks or a few months later. If he came in as manager or assistant manager it would be much more disruptive. If this is right, he will probably also be happy to do it for pocket money, knowing that he is eligible to go elsewhere if someone offers him a proper salary.

It could do I think it's success will depend on the player recruitment. My assumption of a DOF is that they are taking some of the recruitment work off the manager so he just concentrates on the coaching and managing side. Personally I like it the other way round a manager does the player recruitment and he employs people below him to do the coaching.

Edited by GlossopLatic

If it is Kuqi then I'm looking forward to the body language of the players when they emerge for the second half if we're losing.

The bloke doesn't fetch me as someone who takes prisoners if players aren't putting in a shift. He'll be kicking every ball, heading ever header and stirring up the crowd home and away.

Basically how UEFA ranks how good or :censored: a nations league is.

Never said that. I said we wouldn't be happy if the club approached a manager who's got someone out of the Scottish championship only (except Mark Warburton at Rangers). Especially considering quite a few didn't want McCall who finished 3rd in SPL.

Every manager has a drive to succeed. That alone isn't enough to employ a manager on. Especially a manager who didn't impress last time and was ridiculed for saying he would break the players.

Perhaps, but why employ someone we don't think is good enough in isolation and needs someone such as O'Driscoll next to him? If Kuqi fails, does O'Driscoll get the blame because he's supposed to be the one guiding Kuqi? Your paying two wages for one job. And one of the wages is for someone who hasn't impressed in interview before.

No doubt it is part of the reason why LJ is a decent manager, he'd spent the majority of his life preparing to become a manager.

So he said, nice line to appease people We've since learnt to take sound bites with a pinch if salt...