Dunn made permanent

I'm probably putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5 here, but anyone reckon this might have something to do with the takeover talk from last week? This gets announced 2 days after the Roughyeds announce that they're staying at Whitebank, which confirmed that the proposed deal wouldn't happen. While the announcement gives us certainty, there's not really any other reason to change his job title at this time.

Anyway, not looking for a conspiracy. I'm happy enough with the way he's gone about the job so far, so good luck DD!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm probably putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5 here, but anyone reckon this might have something to do with the takeover talk from last week? This gets announced 2 days after the Roughyeds announce that they're staying at Whitebank, which confirmed that the proposed deal wouldn't happen. While the announcement gives us certainty, there's not really any other reason to change his job title at this time.

Anyway, not looking for a conspiracy. I'm happy enough with the way he's gone about the job so far, so good luck DD!

I can't work out your correlation. But they are not playing next season at Whitebank and can't play there until it is upgraded. No plans revealed as yet. Coal Board Pension Fund own part of Whitebank. The announcement merely states they plan to return there. Eventually. Hopefully they are close to agreement. Many fans are unhappy at the return to Whitebank and wanted to return to BP.

Any news on length of contract?

Just watched the Latics Player interview.

No mention of the contract length at all - the question wasn't asked.

I love a good conspiracy theory but I suspect the timing of the announcement was determined by the fact that Corney is over here this week.

Just watched the Latics Player interview.

No mention of the contract length at all - the question wasn't asked.

I love a good conspiracy theory but I suspect the timing of the announcement was determined by the fact that Corney is over here this week.

One year contract;

http://talksport.com/football/former-blackburn-midfielder-david-dunn-appointed-permanent-oldham-manager-151007169557

Was never going to go any other way, was it?

Nope and personally I think it's a ridiculous decision only done because they know that if the next 2 games go belly up then he would have had a worse record than Kelly and they couldn't have appointed him then.

I have no idea whether he will make a good manager or not and I hope he continues to turn things around. However the past few weeks have confirmed for me that my club is being run by a board of idiots.

Breathe and drink wine.

I can't work out your correlation. But they are not playing next season at Whitebank and can't play there until it is upgraded. No plans revealed as yet. Coal Board Pension Fund own part of Whitebank. The announcement merely states they plan to return there. Eventually. Hopefully they are close to agreement. Many fans are unhappy at the return to Whitebank and wanted to return to BP.

Ah fair enough, I got the wrong end of the stick regarding the Roughyeds.

Looking forward to seeing how Dunn does. He's not overly convincing in terms of how he comes across in the media (much better than Kelly but not as good as Johnson imo) but he seems to have a very good feel for the game that could lead to him making good instinctive decisions regarding players. Whether that's signing players or how to treat them in certain situations. Johnson seemed a lot more analytical and, while a lot of plans he had were very good, he could just as easily over-complicate things leading to catastrophe (see Yeovil at home).

Nope and personally I think it's a ridiculous decision only done because they know that if the next 2 games go belly up then he would have had a worse record than Kelly and they couldn't have appointed him then.

I have no idea whether he will make a good manager or not and I hope he continues to turn things around. However the past few weeks have confirmed for me that my club is being run by a board of idiots.

Breathe and drink wine.

Wine!!!!! Tart

Breathe and drink wine.

They have appointed him now in case he loses the next two games?

Wtf??????

Wine?

Wtf??????

Strangely strange and oddly normal for this lot. It is possible that both wanted to have a look at each other before making the deal permanent for however long it is - a week, a month, a year, a rolling contract who knows...

.......till Blackburn come calling?

If someone had offered me Dunn in May I'd have taken it. I think people would still have had reservations but nothing compared to how they felt over Kelly.

Due to Kellys reign Dunn inherited a very fragile low on confidence group of players. He's taken 4 games to start making a difference. We drew Saturdays game of course but the manner of the draw, the way we grew into the game shows we are on the right track. IMO even with LJ at the helm 1-0 down after 8 minutes away from home at an in form team usually led to a pasting.

Please let's back the manager and stop comparing him to Kelly. Kelly was not up to it and Dunn is slowly turning the club around.

If someone had offered me Dunn in May I'd have taken it. I think people would still have had reservations but nothing compared to how they felt over Kelly.

Due to Kellys reign Dunn inherited a very fragile low on confidence group of players. He's taken 4 games to start making a difference. We drew Saturdays game of course but the manner of the draw, the way we grew into the game shows we are on the right track. IMO even with LJ at the helm 1-0 down after 8 minutes away from home at an in form team usually led to a pasting.

Please let's back the manager and stop comparing him to Kelly. Kelly was not up to it and Dunn is slowly turning the club around.

Well said. Let's Support him and see where he takes us.

IMO even with LJ at the helm 1-0 down after 8 minutes away from home at an in form team usually led to a pasting.

Not sure this claim has any basis.

In 2013/14 (games we conceded first in the opening 15 mins):

Preston (a) 1-0 down after 13 mins, lost 2-1;

Crewe (h) 1-0 down after 13 mins, drew 1-1;

Crawley (a) 1-0 down after 7 mins, lost 1-0;

Notts Co. (h) 1-0 down after 13 mins, won 5-1;

Shrewsbury (a) 1-0 down after 15 mins, won 2-1;

Mansfield (a) 1-0 down after 12 mins, won 4-1;

Colchester (h) 1-0 down after 8 mins, lost 2-0;

Posh (h) 1-0 down after 4 mins, won 5-4;

MK Dons (h) 1-0 down after 4 mins, lost 2-1;

Preston (h) 1-0 down after 6 mins, lost 3-1;

2014/15:

Colchester (a) 1-0 down after 7 mins, drew 2-2;

Port Vale (h) 1-0 down after 8 mins, drew 1-1;

Preston (a) 1-0 down after 4 mins, lost 1-0;

Walsall (h) 1-0 down after 10 mins, won 2-1;

Gillingham (a) 2-0 down after 14 mins, lost 3-2;

Barnsley (a) 1-0 down after 12 mins, lost 1-0;

Colchester (h) 1-0 down after 2 mins, lost 1-0;

Orient (a) 1-0 down after 3 mins, lost 3-0 (Johnson's last game in charge).

Not sure this claim has any basis.

In 2013/14 (games we conceded first in the opening 15 mins):

Preston (a) 1-0 down after 13 mins, lost 2-1;

Crewe (h) 1-0 down after 13 mins, drew 1-1;

Crawley (a) 1-0 down after 7 mins, lost 1-0;

Notts Co. (h) 1-0 down after 13 mins, won 5-1;

Shrewsbury (a) 1-0 down after 15 mins, won 2-1;

Mansfield (a) 1-0 down after 12 mins, won 4-1;

Colchester (h) 1-0 down after 8 mins, lost 2-0;

Posh (h) 1-0 down after 4 mins, won 5-4;

MK Dons (h) 1-0 down after 4 mins, lost 2-1;

Preston (h) 1-0 down after 6 mins, lost 3-1;

2014/15:

Colchester (a) 1-0 down after 7 mins, drew 2-2;

Port Vale (h) 1-0 down after 8 mins, drew 1-1;

Preston (a) 1-0 down after 4 mins, lost 1-0;

Walsall (h) 1-0 down after 10 mins, won 2-1;

Gillingham (a) 2-0 down after 14 mins, lost 3-2;

Barnsley (a) 1-0 down after 12 mins, lost 1-0;

Colchester (h) 1-0 down after 2 mins, lost 1-0;

Orient (a) 1-0 down after 3 mins, lost 3-0 (Johnson's last game in charge).

As Meatloaf once sang "3 out of 18 ain't bad"

As Meatloaf once sang "3 out of 18 ain't bad"

It did say away from home.

However, if you substitute pasting to defeat then it reads a less respectable:

W5, D3 , L10

Toward the end of his reighn (post Evans) we did not come back at all. Heads dropped.

It did say away from home.

However, if you substitute pasting to defeat then it reads a less respectable:

W5, D3 , L10

Toward the end of his reighn (post Evans) we did not come back at all. Heads dropped.

Fair enough, it did say away from home but, in that case, Johnson's last game in charge was the only away game that we lost by more than a goal after gong behind early on - I didn't check his spell in 2012/13 after he took over from Dickov but I think we only lost three games anyway.

And I would argue that those stats are pretty respectable - to get a result from eight games out of the eighteen after trailing in the first 15 mins is decent.