The Oldham West & Royton Parliamentary By-Election 3.12.15

The expenses regime is quite tight these days. The main thing is MPs can claim only for rent rather than mortgage interest, meaning no London property entry at the taxpayers' expense.

I don't even mind the pensions. Everyone gets pissed off about civil service pensions but it's the meanest and most stupid criticism of anything ever. The fact is that the civil service standard should be the general workplace pension standard. It isn't the general workplace standard because most employers are mean and short-sighted, resulting in massive company cash reserves and a ludicrous false economy in pensions and financial services.

Generally though, if you want representative democracy to work, you have to pay for the punters who do the representing. Otherwise you get total bellends working a fourth-rate trade, which currently describes too many MPs.

Yes quite agree re. public sector pensions. They are a bit like teachers holidays, people complain about how good they are, but you don't often here them say, I wish I was a teacher.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes quite agree re. public sector pensions. They are a bit like teachers holidays, people complain about how good they are, but you don't often here them say, I wish I was a teacher.

You don't often hear people say they wish they were a traffic warden or an office administrator or a plumber or a solicitor either.

The candidates standing are: Jim McMahon (Labour), John Bickley (UKIP), James Daly (Conservative), Jane Brophy (Liberal Democrat), Simeon Hart (Green Party) and Sir Oink-A-Lot (Monster Raving Loony Party).

The rarely-wrong Chron understands that the BNP attempted to nominate a candidate, but sources say the necessary paperwork was not completed in time.

Sir Oink-A-Lot (Monster Raving Loony Party).

His lost deposit was well-worth just seeing you type that, Diego

It's a shame McMahon has gone, as he seems to be have done a decent job as councillor. Assume he'll be campaigning against further council cuts as MP, unless it's based off of a formula

Edited by NewBlue

What do we win for the right answer?

:censored: all, as per. I genuinely don't know.

Is McMahon being a "Red Tory" all your own work/opinion or is that how he's viewed by other party members?

It's defo not my view. He's a local man who's too smart to get involved in all that London-based nonsense. He's interested in what works rather than faithfulness to the doctrine. He's probably going for the wrong job. He'd achieve more as Mayor of Manchester.

The Blairite parliamentary Labour party will claim him as one of their own and a sign that Corbyn is weak, defeated etc. The Corbynistas will claim it doesn't matter, which is probably nearer the truth of the position. What the Blairites don't want is a resounding victory being taken as a vote of confidence in Corbyn, which is also fair enough because it's a vote of confidence in Labour as a whole and McMahon personally.

It's defo not my view. He's a local man who's too smart to get involved in all that London-based nonsense. He's interested in what works rather than faithfulness to the doctrine. He's probably going for the wrong job. He'd achieve more as Mayor of Manchester.

Would he have got in as Mayor of Manchester though?

This is a shoo-in. He might've had more competition for Mayor? (I say this from a position of having no idea whatsoever).

Do you reckon he's destined for a cabinet position at some point? (if you ever get back in of course. which, hopefully you won't :grin:)

Would he have got in as Mayor of Manchester though?

This is a shoo-in. He might've had more competition for Mayor? (I say this from a position of having no idea whatsoever).

Do you reckon he's destined for a cabinet position at some point? (if you ever get back in of course. which, hopefully you won't :grin:)

I genuinely don't think he'll like being an MP. It's a really :censored: job. Preferment depends on things no one really understands or controls. As for Labour ever getting back in...don't you just prefer a Labour party with recognisable and predictable principles? People claim they've been crying out for that for years, then complain when it happens. It's your party as much as it's mine, by the way, even if you have turned your back on it somewhat.

There'll be lots of competition for Mayor, but he'd be among the favourites given his youth and record of civic leadership. He'd probably get paid more and have more power, and he wouldn't have to faff about working away from home 34 weeks a year. Not sure what the rules are on double jobbing.

The UKIP candidate seems to think if he wins he'll also become Leader of the Council and have the power to scrap the Town Hall cinema project.

http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news-features/8/news-headlines/95149/cut-ukip-wants-to-scrap-cinema-project

He's arguably right about the cinema but a lot of people do spend money on rubber chicken and the like in the chain restaurants that will also be in there, for some reason...

Either way, it's better than it being empty.

But maybe not as good as the "tech hub" he proposes. The question being whether that would be deliverable & sustainable.

A cinema & some chain restaurants is.

I'm 40 and have lived all of my life in Oldham, Bristol & Newcastle.

I've never quite managed to pay higher rate tax.

It's never been my party.

You'll come round eventually.

The UKIP candidate seems to think if he wins he'll also become Leader of the Council and have the power to scrap the Town Hall cinema project.

http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news-features/8/news-headlines/95149/cut-ukip-wants-to-scrap-cinema-project

I'm getting the popcorn out for the UKIP meltdown during this election.

Only round the corner for me but I already know why. I suspect he'll be coming at it from a slightly different angle to me though.

I should have gone really.

Politicians actually engaging with voters in Oldham as opposed to taking them for granted and laughing all the way to their next landslide.

I could have filtered out the pertinent stuff from the :censored:e, I think...

Tell me why.

I think you have before but I've forgotten...

I see a country free to trade with the whole world, rather than locked into the sick man of the world economy and pushed towards making ourselves as sick as them so as not to be unfair.

I suspect he talked about immigration.