Another Senior Player 'Wrapped Up'

Guest sheridans_world

Today's Signing  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want our "new" signing to be?

• Neil Kilkenny
    • Chris Porter
    • Stefan Stam
    • Richie Wellens
    • AN Other

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been over the official site with a fine tooth comb, but I can't find any mention of "senior player".

It definitely said senior before. They're changing things to confuse us!!

When it was the main headline item the words "senior player" were indeed there in the text below the headline.

However as it has slipped down the page with the addition of the new items, the text has been removed so you no longer see anything other than the main headline. The words were definately there.

Perhaps Stu knew it was Allott and he confused "senior" with "ex" if it's Allott.

Welcome back Mark and thanks again for not stopping us from getting into the play-offs last season, by missing deliberately that gilt-edge chance in the first half and never venturing beyond the half-way line in the second half of the final League match.

Those who enjoy booing our own players must think it's their birthday to be handed such a prime target!

I'll be happy with any of the names mentioned although Im hoping its either Porter or Wellens.

If push came to shove I think i'd rather it was wellens than Porter. He'll be much harder to replace, especially if Kilkenny doesn't come back. At least if Porter goes we'll probably be looking at making £700k which we won't do if Wellens leaves and also we've signed two quality strikers in Hughes and Davies so while having the 3 of them would be nice, worse things could happen than Porter leaving.

However were all 3 to stay ie. Stam, Porter & Wellens then I think it would be safe to say we were pretty much there!!

here's to hoping!

If it is Allott, sets up a totally new shape for our team next season....

Allott, macca, Kalala, all work, not much creativity.... time to go for the Scunny/Lashers model methinks!

Alternatively, if we are also after Kilkenny and/ or trying to sign Wellens to fulfil the "creative" midfield role, then it shows the ambition for next Season.

We appear to be building one hell of a squad at the moment.

I voted Kilkenny for who I 'wanted' it to be, but I have a horrible feeling it will be Mark Allott, however it does say one signing which would rule out the Paul Shaw possibility, which may suggest otherwise. Or it could indeed be somebody re-signing.

Alternatively, if we are also after Kilkenny and/ or trying to sign Wellens to fulfil the "creative" midfield role, then it shows the ambition for next Season.

We appear to be building one hell of a squad at the moment.

Yep, agreed.... but have a feeling that if it is Allott, there will only be space for one of Richie or KK....

Unless KK is being signed to play on the right, which is my preference, but I keep getting told (by S_W mainly - the tinker) that Lidds is too expensive to sit on the bench...

IMO if you are past it :shock: that is where you sit....

Can you imagine having KK, Richie and Chrissy storming forwad - with Kalala (still no feedback for my great song on the other thread!!) holding - it would be awesome....

Guest sheridans_world

Lidds cant sit on the bench, you know that. Hope it isnt Allot, would rather have Wellens...

Lidds cant sit on the bench, you know that. Hope it isnt Allot, would rather have Wellens...

WHY NOT! HE IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH!

I dont care what wages he is on.... if you aint pullin your weight you aint in the side... i know he got better at the end of the season... but 1 season too far methinks...

KK ON THE WING!!

:wink:

If push came to shove I think i'd rather it was wellens than Porter. He'll be much harder to replace, especially if Kilkenny doesn't come back. At least if Porter goes we'll probably be looking at making £700k which we won't do if Wellens leaves and also we've signed two quality strikers in Hughes and Davies so while having the 3 of them would be nice, worse things could happen than Porter leaving.

However were all 3 to stay ie. Stam, Porter & Wellens then I think it would be safe to say we were pretty much there!!

here's to hoping!

There's no guarentee that we'll make that much from a tribunal. Plus the money that we'd have to give to Bury. I'd rather have him sign a longer contract and stay here to push for promotion.

Yep, agreed.... but have a feeling that if it is Allott, there will only be space for one of Richie or KK....

Unless KK is being signed to play on the right, which is my preference, but I keep getting told (by S_W mainly - the tinker) that Lidds is too expensive to sit on the bench...

IMO if you are past it :shock: that is where you sit....

Can you imagine having KK, Richie and Chrissy storming forwad - with Kalala (still no feedback for my great song on the other thread!!) holding - it would be awesome....

Not a chance that we will have both KK and Richie in the squad next season, I would be very happy with one of them!

.... if you aint pullin your weight you aint in the side... i know he got better at the end of the season...

Liddell is often a target but his assists and his penalty-taking record are invaluable.

It could be said that the longer the season went on Taylor wasn't pullin' his weight, in the sense that he was putting in the effort but it was non-productive. I'm sure the close-season rest will have done him good, but he needs to regain that confidence to take players on, otherwise he'll be out of the side.

Guest sheridans_world
WHY NOT! HE IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH!

I dont care what wages he is on.... if you aint pullin your weight you aint in the side... i know he got better at the end of the season... but 1 season too far methinks...

KK ON THE WING!!

:wink:

Shez had the decision to make, shez made it and kept him. Now that has happened, you cant keep a player on that amount of money on the bench! He should have paid him off if he didnt think he was good enough. Shez does so there. :tongue1:

Where's all your 'in shez we trust' stuff gone?

Edited by sheridans_world

Lids led the team, and almost the league in assits last year, despite a dip in form. If we have the threat of Ports and Huges in the air next season then he'll get as many if not more again.

If we play Davis instead and are looking for balls into the channel then you rest lidds and change the system.

Guest oa_exile
Where's all your 'in shez we trust' stuff gone?

Mine's still here :grin: , do you think that BigFin is a part timer S_W ? :wink:

Mine's still here :grin: , do you think that BigFin is a part timer S_W ? :wink:

Pah! Sheep the lot of you! :wink:

Looks like.... wait for it.... I will agree to differ on this one..... for me, Lidds does not do enough for the team, i value his ability to cross, but I just feel that there are many players who can do this, and that we just need more speed and dynamism down the wings, both of whom can drify inside and fill the hole behing the strikers, interchange and really get some movement going.... the pass to wellens/lids... *stop and have a think for a bit* ... then play ball to Porter strategy just became all too predictable at the end of the season....

I know I bang on about it a lot, but the truly succesful teams last seaosn were the teams that moved the ball quickly - Scunny & the Lashers... these guys had pace to burn on the wings, with lethal strikers, and a solid holding midfield...

For me we already have the lethal strikers, Hughes will bang goals in, and Davies can very much play the parker/beckford role, and it looks as if we are creating the solid midfield... to make this system work we need two absolute flyers on the wings... and lids just cant do this....

I just dont think he will give enough to the team, he can pick a pass - true, but his set pieces and corners are woeful..... step in mister Kilkenny, who is younger, quicker, more skillful and better on set pieces... and I bet you anything Mr Hughes will be taking the penalties....

For me the "forward 6" will look like this next season...

Kilkenny, Kalala, Allott, Taylor

Hughes, Davies

That for me, is solid, quick, powerful... and will be much more dynamic than last season.... Lids is a squad player to be brought in to hold.... but the above will HAMMER the lesser sides, which is where we fell last season... add wellens for allott if you want, or Porter for hughes, but for me, either will add nothing much more to that side - its a new look latics and a new way of playing - we cant get bogged down with how we played last season - It ultimately failed!

Shez said he is not going to make any friend this season!

I have more faith than most bucko's! As i can see that Shez is totally changing the way we play... Lidds, not more than a squad player for me!

Edited by BigfinLatic

for me, Lidds does not do enough for the team

Absolute garbage. Liddell created most our goals by one single player. Narrow minded. The record is there if you care to look.

And I have more faith than most. Check the posts this week whilst the doom and gloom was ongoing. Oh and I was the person who first used the phrase TTA. So I cant spout garbage all the tine eh Fin.

Liddell as been a class act at this level and still is. Also did more than Taylor last season without doubt. Thou he will soon pass into the too old group.

Edited by Lags

Guest sheridans_world

Absolute garbage. Liddell created most our goals by one single player. Narrow minded. The record is there if you care to look.

And I have more faith than most. Check the posts this week whilst the doom and gloom was ongoing. Oh and I was the person who first used the phrase TTA. So I cant spout garbage all the tine eh Fin.

Liddell as been a class act at this level and still is. Also did more than Taylor last season without doubt. Thou he will soon pass into the too old group.

I disagree, Taylor worked alot harder than Liddell did last season.

I think he should be in the team, but he was no where near as good as you are making out! Liddell didnt create 'most' of our goals, he is down as assisting in 14 out of 69 goals in the league last year. That is no where near most, granted he got into double figures, mainly through penalties so he created and scored no more than 26 goals last season.

Still he should be on the pitch though.

Edited by sheridans_world

At not one point did I question his record. i said that next season we will be introducing a new way of playing, to which he does not fit in.

Once again you seem to be looking for things in Posts that are not there. Your middle paragraph makes no sense. I do not agree on this one, not you, so please do not try to turn this around to a personal battle whenn I was in a group discussion.

I agree that Liddell is a class act, but not in the way we will be playing next season. We need to be quicker and more dynamic. Lids is one of the best passer of the ball in the division - but KK is better.