Another Senior Player 'Wrapped Up'

Guest sheridans_world

Today's Signing  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want our "new" signing to be?

• Neil Kilkenny
    • Chris Porter
    • Stefan Stam
    • Richie Wellens
    • AN Other

My opinion fin. nowt more. Liddell was our most lucrative goal maker. The record is there for all to see. I think your opinion is garbage, not you, likewise. so what you on about? I don't need to edit nothing to remain just a debater. Told you do the other stuff via PM. KK is a good technical player, he burst on the scene here and was awesome, then went off the boil some what. He has yet to achieve what Liddell as done over a career. I would welcome KK here without question

Edited by Lags

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to add my twopenneth to this ongoing debate.

I personally don't see Liddell as a regular starter next season with the players we have brought in.

I think we will play differently and I really only see Liddell as a squad player.

I think he still has a role to fulfill at the club but can see him only on the bench for much of the season unless we have quite a few injuries.

His corners were poor last year (often failed to beat the first man).

As Bigfin says Hughes will take the penalties.

all i can say for liddle is short corners or a bad cross hes a good squad player but im not sure how long he can last

has the most quality in his feet, than any other member of our current squad and yes i agree that he's not the type to be flying past full backs or flying to track back, but his delivery and quality of ball in the box last year, was imo very underestimated by a lot of 'tics fans - sure he's got a part to play again this year in what is shaping up to be a pretty strong squad. :OWTB1:

S-W. Taylor flattered to decieve many times last season. He is a great potential player and very happy he's here. Swansea away showed what he is capable of. He murdered the midfield and full back down his side, especially in the firdt half, thou that said he didn't deliver enough threat at the final play. Taylor struggles if he doesn't beat his man in the first few attempts during a game and this needs to be addressed in his game. He also needs to start producing end result which produces goals. Liddell does this and it's goals that wins games. For me Liddell did more than Taylor last season. If Taylor cannot at his age put more effort into a game than Liddell theres little cheers in that.

As for penalties. If Liddell was on the pitch I know as gaffer who would be taking them. Liddells record is second only to Le Tis.

Edited by Lags

My opinion fin. nowt more. Liddell was our most lucrative goal maker. The record is there for all to see. I think your opinion is garbage, not you, likewise. so what you on about? I don't need to edit nothing to remain just a debater. Told you do the other stuff via PM. KK is a good technical player, he burst on the scene here and was awesome, then went off the boil some what. He has yet to achieve what Lideel as done over a career. I would welcome KK here without question

Cool - i agree with you on Lids, what I am on about is that it all comes down to how we play next season.... for me we are looking fowards, with a new style, and younger legs.... Lids will come in and do a job, but we really need to come out flying and kill off sides when we can - how many time were the lashers 3-0 up before the other side could blink at the end of the season.... Liddel is the one piece that does not fit in the whole jigsaw for me.... we need to hit teams quickly, and put them out of the game...

last half our, bring on lids, looking for balls over the top for a new quicker strikeforce... I'm confident if he sorts his ego out, KK will be a better player than Liddell over the next 10 years (equivalent...!)

If lids proves me wrong i would be very glad about it, but just don think he will get the chance! I know we havent even signed him, but for me just KK's ability with a dead ball makes him a starter...!

Guest sheridans_world
S-W. Taylor flattered to decieve many times last season. He is a great potential player and very happy he's here. Swansea away showed what he is capable of. He murdered the midfield and full back down his side, especially in the firdt half, thou that said he didn't deliver enough threat at the final play. Taylor struggles if he doesn't beat his man in the first few attempts during a game and this needs to be addressed in his game. He also needs to start producing end result which produces goals. Liddell does this and it's goals that wins games. For me Liddell did more than Taylor last season. If Taylor cannot at his age put more effort into a game than Liddell theres little cheers in that.

As for penalties. If Liddell was on the pitch I know as gaffer who would be taking them. Liddells record is second only to Le Tis.

While Taylor might not have the consistancy that Liddell had (except the end of the season) he did a hell of a lot more during games than Liddell could! He has pace for one, the ball actually got to the end of the pitch. Dont get me wrong Liddell does work hard but Taylor is an Oldham lad, says it all. Taylor is a blue, he will run and run and run for latics. Granted his final touch hasnt been brilliant in front of goal but then Liddell hasnt scored that many from open play either?

As for penalties, true Liddell is a very good taker, all you have to do is keep your head, i am sure someone else (Hughes, Davies maybe even Gregan) could manage to take them just as well.

Would KK and Liddell play the same position? Whilst I don't think Liddell will feature the same this time around purely cos of his age and the better calibre of player being brought in. He still was last season worthy of his place and did the business regarding making goals. You cant beat pace all over an attack, that goes without saying. Thou look at JJ, pace to burn but how headless in the main. Blackpool had pace coupled with good understanding when to pass and where to move, not just pace.

Would KK and Liddell play the same position? Whilst I don't think Liddell will feature the same this time around purely cos of his age and the better calibre of player being brought in. He still was last season worthy of his place and did the business regarding making goals. You cant beat pace all over an attack, that goes without saying. Thou look at JJ, pace to burn but how headless in the main. Blackpool had pace coupled with good understanding when to pass and where to move, not just pace.

Exactly.... but I think Taylor and KK can do this... constantly pulling thier markers all over the place... both have proved they are not afraid to graft, which is what JJ never did... and is needed to play this role.... I just remmeber Hoolahoop and Parker being all over us... this is what these two could do... niether are the finished article... but neither were parker, hoolahoop, beckford etc...

As for positions - yes, I think so, we would hold in the centre, and all the movement fromt the wings - killer would drift in from the right....

S_W - gregan, on penalties???? You what!!!

Edited by BigfinLatic

Whilst we're on the topic of Liddell, I do believe that yes we would miss his assists, but, if we were to change the was we play, the balance of creativity would shift also. I would expect to see Taylor getting more assists, and more coming from the Central Midfielders (whoever they may be) with the extra pace of Davies up front.

I find Liddell to be similar to Beckham, in a game he will put 19 awful crosses in, and then get one right and suddenly he's a superstar again. I believe Liddell wastes the ball too often on the Right Hand Side.

I am now actually beginning to think that Allott wouldn't be such a bad signing, he seems to be a bit of an unsung hero, but I'm unsure whether him along side Kalala will provide enough creativity and support for the front men. Although I absoloutely agree with BigfinLatic that we are changing the way we play. I thought last season, the passing game slowly faded out, and I think this was due to Sheridan realising that perhaps we didn't quite have the quality to use it sucessfully all season. Warne and Porter scored goals, but were not the most gifted footballers. I believe that although Hughes and Davies may be the same, he is trying to bring in the quality from Midfield, quite rightly.

Guest sheridans_world
S_W - gregan, on penalties???? You what!!!

Did you see that goal he scored at Kettering? Nearly broke the net

So should we still expect a New Signing today? Or was the announcement that of Stam himself? There seems to have been little mention of him around the Official Site, all the talk was of Wellens and Porter which may suggest there was no extra interest in Stam and perhaps we were just waiting for him to return from holiday.

Edited by Microcuts

So should we still expect a New Signing today? Or was the announcement that of Stam himself? There seems to have been little mention of him around the Official Site, all the talk was of Wellens and Porter which may suggest there was no extra interest in Stam and perhaps we were just waiting for him to return from holiday.

I think you'll be dissapointed if you expect anything else.

The original article (before it was edited) basically said it was one of the three out of contract players signing a deal to keep them at the club. Not someone coming in.

If it wasn't for all those who confirmed that "senior" had been deleted, I would think Stu was trying to make me think I'd gone mad - just 'cos I share my birthday with Keith Moon and Shaun Ryder!

Obviously "senior" has been reinsterted now the cat is out of the bag.