Porter signed for a SPL team

Punkster mate that's very OTT and most unlike you fella. Calm down and post again to retract the personal injury wishes. By all means not forgive the lad if he goes north to line his and the agents pocket but wishing injury? come on.

EDIT: As a side, how old is Haining? is he 24? if so why no compo issues?

Edited by Lags

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me the loss of Porter is not the important issue here as I think most of us were resigned to losing him anyway.

It's the not getting a fee that is far more important, we must have been looking at £350,000 to £400,000 by way of a tribunal as a minimum figure.

That is massive money to a club like Latics.

The money spent on building up the squad in terms of a fee for Davies and salaries to Crossley, Thompson, Kalala and Hughes must now be really hurting the club.

We could really do with Micah Richards moving although that seems highly unlikely now with a new owner and manager at Citeh.

A very sad state of affairs for the club and fans alike. :ktf:

People - we need to get a sense of prespective here ..... a 23 year old lad would appear to have been given a better job offer than his current employers could / were prepared to make. I suspect that the job offer is not better by the 2-3 grand per year we would hope for when moving jobs - it's probably more like 20 - 50 grand per year, and I genuinely do defy anyone on here to say that they would turn that down. No really ... would you ???

OK - I know that people will talk about loyalty, and all that we have done for him ......... but I think that he repaid us handsomely for that last year, and whilst I am sure that he would like to be loved in this part of the world, that isn't going to pay his mortgage when he retires. Footballers have a limited shelf life, and have to earn enough money in 10 - 15 years to allow them to support themselves for the rest of their lives - 100K over two years (if that is what is it) will go a long way towards that.

On another point - I too have serious issues about the power of agents in football HOWEVER it is the agents job to get his client the best deal that he can, and it would appear to me that Mr O'Keeefe (or whoever he is) would have done a very good job here. Just because we are on the receiving end this time i don't think it gives us licence to make some of the comments that have been made on here. In my opinion, wishing injury on anyone, and particularly someone who relies on his fitness to earn his money, is unacceptable, and I want to distance myself from those sentiments on this thread.

Chris Porter didn't make the rules, just the same as Lee Hughes didn't pass his own sentence. Both have "exploited" the rules, one to the detriment of our club, and one very much to our benefit. That's life - let's just hope that TTA see it that way and they continue the support they have given us ove the past few years. That is the real issue here.

I suspect that this will be controversial ...... I'm around all night if anyone wants to comment - I have a stack of stella in the fridge so i can't guarantee to make sense all night.

Now should I press the "post" button ...... obviously yes

Porter hasn't signed for anyone yet. He hasn't said a word about moving to Scotland or to any other club, its all his agent. If a better offer comes from a different club then of course he will sign for someone else, just like other players have done. Why is everyone slagging him off and not Wellens or Haining or Warne, both Warne and Haining turned contracts down here and have gone to other teams, i presume Wellens will end up signing elsewhere as well. If Porter does go to Scotland then so be it, it's not Porters fault the club wont get any money. He signed a two year contract for us and played very well for us, played through injury and in a great deal of pain and scored a lot of important goals for us and now he will decide to sign whichever contract he feels his best for himself and his family. Players moving on to different clubs is all part of football. I hope wherever he goes - i hope he stays here though - all goes well for him. I doubt anyone on here will agree with anything i've said on this post but unnfortunately its true, there is no loyalty left in football, from neither the players nor the owners/managers.

Porter hasn't signed for anyone yet. He hasn't said a word about moving to Scotland or to any other club, its all his agent. If a better offer comes from a different club then of course he will sign for someone else, just like other players have done. Why is everyone slagging him off and not Wellens or Haining or Warne, both Warne and Haining turned contracts down here and have gone to other teams, i presume Wellens will end up signing elsewhere as well. If Porter does go to Scotland then so be it, it's not Porters fault the club wont get any money. He signed a two year contract for us and played very well for us, played through injury and in a great deal of pain and scored a lot of important goals for us and now he will decide to sign whichever contract he feels his best for himself and his family. Players moving on to different clubs is all part of football. I hope wherever he goes - i hope he stays here though - all goes well for him. I doubt anyone on here will agree with anything i've said on this post but unnfortunately its true, there is no loyalty left in football, from neither the players nor the owners/managers.

You will find Gemma that Warne didnt reject a contract here, he was let go !

Wellens hasn't been allowing his agent to band his name about and wip up a stir

A word of caution here.

No-one on here knows the full facts in this case. We are reading one-side of the story on the Official Site and even that doesn't confirm Porter is leaving.

I've already taken down a potentially libellous thread. Some are having a go at Vincent O'Keeffe and yet a day or so ago, Porter's agent was called Lee Payne. Two totally different Agents and Companies according to FIFA.

Please stick to facts and base your opinions on those without crossing the borders of libel and abuse. Respect the opinions of your fellow posters (argue by all means if you don't agree) and also please think before wishing illness or injury on parties who may have done no wrong. Cheers

Exactly and up until monday if he does go then my views wont change. Porter is still at the moment a Latics player and hasnt signed for anyone just yet

his mouthpiece of a agent hasn't exactly been making the right noises in regards to latics though...remember,we have offered how many improved contracts,and there hasn't been an utter from him or porter regarding them...just his agent bigging him up to be the next sensation....and in scotland.

my gripe isn't him not signing for latics-personally,we have better already now with davies and hughes,but the fact the loss of fees from his impending transfer will be lost and the finiances at latics get tightned again...

why is his agent touting him in scotland eh?

because of a nice big signing on fee he gets from the club,instead of the club paying a fee.

why hasn't there been any talk of english clubs being interested since end of season?

because the agent has been doing some sums and got the idea into porters unfeastly small brain?

as has been posted here already-if he dosen't want to wear the shirt for love and ambition(has cash ever entered the latics way?)then sod off.

mmmm.......

You will find Gemma that Warne didnt reject a contract here, he was let go !

Wellens hasn't been allowing his agent to band his name about and wip up a stir

He was offered a contract in April, on the same money for 12months, he turned it down as he wanted more money and a two year deal, which is understandable as he is nearing the end of his career

He was offered a contract in April, on the same money for 12months, he turned it down as he wanted more money and a two year deal, which is understandable as he is nearing the end of his career

so why didn't latics offer him an improved contract then gemma?

because they had other ideas???!!!

he was let go-shez told him he wasn't getting a new contract.

warnes fault for not accepting the contract in april eh.

anyway,warne has gone,we now have a new season,new team. enjoy!

Right then, IF it is true, and IF he has gone, then i would prefer to not look at Porter (im angry and will be even angrier when he is transferred back to England for £1m plus in 08/09) but to look at the Club, and where it leaves us. Porter has screwed us over, but am sure the TTA mentally prepared for this, at least they must have done last weekend when following the "embargo rant" when the must have spoken about thier strategy - and the decision they came obviously back with is lets go for it irrespective of what happens, hence the mass of activity last week.

If you listen to Corneys words last friday, he very much refers to the Porter money being used to "make inroads in our debt"... he does not refer to it to make new signings... I feel the porter transfer has absolutely no impact on our squad rebuilding, other than we are a striker of the quality down of Porter for the next season. I feel the money we have outlayed is from the Philiskirk/Owen transfer, and Porters proposed fee would have virtually gone into the master pot... so whats diffeent now? we dont have £500k??? Thats a drop in the ocean to the future of the club, which is based on the land redvelopment - lets shove in 5 extra apprtments.... this is what the TTA is interested in, and the planning permission is what genuinely will affect thier long term aspirations... not this fee....

I think what i am trying to say in my usual long winded way is, that we are no worse off than we were before, the TTA made thier decision to back this team and back it well a week ago.... I feel our first chioce strikeforce by october would have been huges and davies, and as people has said, if Ports does not want to play for us he can pack his bags... he is not staying now... not after this, if he doesnt go to motherwell he will be shipped of ASAP to the next bidder.....

The only worry i have is that the loss of the "name" of Porter will affect the players who want to sign for us - I particularly hope this is not the case with Wellens, but if I was the TTA, my next move would to be offer an unrefusable offer to Richie... make a statement of intent that we will be stronger than ever next season... irrespective of this morons decision to waste his career...

So, in summary, glad he has gone... no, he is a 25 goal a season strike for gods sake... but does this change the great players we have signed... no... does this mean our transfer activity in the future willl be stopped... no (though would now snap your hand off for leon clarke)... and most importantly, does this mean we still have the best potential squad coming together we have had for years, with great chairman and a brilliant manager... Damn yes...

We will have great season next year.... goodbye Ports, and hope in a years time you can honestly say you made the right move...

KTF!

To me the loss of Porter is not the important issue here as I think most of us were resigned to losing him anyway.

It's the not getting a fee that is far more important, we must have been looking at £350,000 to £400,000 by way of a tribunal as a minimum figure.

That is massive money to a club like Latics.

The money spent on building up the squad in terms of a fee for Davies and salaries to Crossley, Thompson, Kalala and Hughes must now be really hurting the club.

We could really do with Micah Richards moving although that seems highly unlikely now with a new owner and manager at Citeh.

A very sad state of affairs for the club and fans alike. :ktf:

Not really, Charlton Haining and Warne were on a bob or two which I would imagine covers those who we've brought in, plus Davies fee would have come from Owens and Philliskirk jnr's transfer fee's.

Although I reckon theres not that much left in the budget.

He offered a deal at the start of the year but for what ever reason he decided not to sign it, then the club decided to withdraw the contract ...

Its all in the story that was printed this week when he signed for the cider drinkers.

Owens and Philliskirk jnr's transfer fee's.

Although I reckon theres not that much left in the budget.

We got £7.5 k for Owen

Philly is all tied up in games played etc, so I'd say none of that money has really been spent yet.

Silly to think that the club made more money out of the fans v OAFC game than selling OWEN to SCFC !

so why didn't latics offer him an improved contract then gemma?

because they had other ideas???!!!

he was let go-shez told him he wasn't getting a new contract.

warnes fault for not accepting the contract in april eh.

anyway,warne has gone,we now have a new season,new team. enjoy!

Latics offered him a contract, Warne decided he wanted more financial security and first team football so they decided to part company. Same happens all the time. It's whats happening now with Porter. The only thing Porter has done wrong in my opinion is not speak out, but he's a quiet lad and only 23 years old. And he has a twit of an agent who isn't advising him very well but will probably be getting a very good deal for himself out of all this

but he's a quiet lad and only 23 years old. And he has a twit of an agent who isn't advising him very well but will probably be getting a very good deal for himself out of all this

I agree on all of that but in a similar way I'm 22 years old. I can see what is going on here. Yes, I have a slightly (massively!) biased view of what is going on but surely even Porter himself can see going to Scotland would do him no favours. OK maybe a few more quid in his pocket but also a few more in his agents too. The one who is supposed to be giving him the best advice (do any footballers actually follow football, I mean Motherwell).

This doesn't really seem like the best advice does it. I'm not implying that Porter is a bit short up top but he doesn't have to do everything his agent says. Yet he seems willing to always follow his advice.

Career wise, this move isn't clever. Maybe if somebody had a bit more belief in themselves, they'd realise if they were as good as the agent says they are, the money would come. Still get rich quick and all that.

As has been posted earlier, Haining, Wellens and Stam's agents haven't done the old 'oh no he isn't, oh yes he is' routine. Porter should've told his agent to fut the shuck up and go about his work quietly. Let's face it, nobody is coming out of this one smelling of roses except the Motherwell board.

Guest oa_exile
EDIT: As a side, how old is Haining? is he 24? if so why no compo issues?

"Clubs will be able to receive compensation for players aged under 23, who move during the currency or at the end of their contracts"

This seems to be the short and Curlie's of Haining and why no comp.

if you want some bed time reading >>Bosman Ruling<<

The newly approved FIFA rules

International transfers of players under 18 are restricted to special circumstances

Clubs will be able to receive compensation for players aged under 23, who move during the currency or at the end of their contracts

This will no longer be a negotiated transfer fee, it will be calculated instead to specific criteria

Contracts will be for a minimum of 1 and a maximum of 5 years

There will be one transfer period per season, with a limited mid-season window. Only one transfer per player per season

When a contract is signed up till the players 28th birthday, a unilateral breach in the first three years will give rise to compensation and the application of sports sanctions restricting a players ability to play immediately for his new club

When a player is signed after his 28th birthday, the above applies but only for the first two years of the contract

A new arbitration system was established to provide an effective and swift alternative to civil litigation

I've just had a look on the Motherwell site and there is no news as to this deal. When the club thought he was going to Dundee they posted that as well on our official site. I think the agent is trying to force a better deal from TTA again. I wouldn't be surprised if he stays after all this. I couldn't care less really. As long as Wellens stays. We have got 2 cracking strikers in Hughes and Davies and a good reserve in Wolfenden. I think we'll be fine without Porter. We need Wellens as he is the heart of our midfield.

I've just had a look on the Motherwell site and there is no news as to this deal. When the club thought he was going to Dundee they posted that as well on our official site. I think the agent is trying to force a better deal from TTA again. I wouldn't be surprised if he stays after all this. I couldn't care less really. As long as Wellens stays. We have got 2 cracking strikers in Hughes and Davies and a good reserve in Wolfenden. I think we'll be fine without Porter. We need Wellens as he is the heart of our midfield.

I've trawled through a few Motherwell MessageBoards and the only rumours about Porter there were started by the story on our Official Site!

It will be interesting come Monday to see what actually happens here. All is not yet lost in my opinion.

Either way, from the Doom and Gloom last Friday, this weekend is a lot more positive.

I'd like Porter to stay but if he doesn't we are far from doomed.

Take this time last year for instance, people were saying stuff like

"We need to sign Beckett, if we don't then we could be in trouble, especially since it doesn't look like he's going to be replaced."

We didn't replace Beckett, we just used one of our other strikers. If Porter goes we have Craig Davis who's looking good, Lee Hughes if he can find his form will be one of the best strikers in the division. I also think Wolfenden could surprise a few people given the chance. Porter is a good striker but we have adequate cover me thinks. Beckett leaving was a blessing in disguise, Porter leaving could very well be too.

if Porter hasn't signed, im presuming nothings stopping him going to Norwich if theyre interested. I hope to all the gods that Norwich are interested now, cos after this i dont really want porter at the club but i really think we need, nay deserve, the money!

Edited by LaticsChris