Hillsborough

On 4/3/2019 at 3:06 PM, wiseowl said:

Interesting thread. There is little doubt that the police, by and large, still treat football fans (particularly large away followings) in an appalling way.

I`ve not got a particular problem with them targetting the trouble causers in an aggressive way but they just seem to have a real attitude problem with all travelling  folk at a big event It's an institutional problem that needs sorting.pretty much the same at any Demo no matter how peacfull have had to deal with some of them whilst on the picket line and thier attitude stank 

there fixed it for you 

Edited by peanuts

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/4/2019 at 10:37 AM, underdog said:

Dear all

The Trust have been contacted this week by the group who did the Hillsborough walk a couple of seasons ago. When the trust worked with the club to open up the RRE on a December evening and I put the Chaddy suit on. The Liverpool fans we met that night made friendships that lasted beyond us whooping their arses in the FA cup...hahah

Since then, the group have morphed into doing charity work, visiting footy grounds along the way and they will be visiting BP on Good Friday evening as they go onto Manchester City in a few weeks time. I have referred the walkers onto the club so I hope we can do something. In the meantime. Please find below the charities and route they are planning to do. if you see them along the way give them some support 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2238519616469665/

Let us know if there's anything we can do to help. 

12 hours ago, rosa said:

Let us know if there's anything we can do to help. 

I have contacted the club myself at the end of week to see what the club could do....bit of free PR if managed right. I did Offered to pay for a donation item myself, but I have had no response.

You could look put for them about 9.30pm outside the club entrance and give them a friendly wave...hahah

• Like 1

1 minute ago, underdog said:

I have contacted the club myself at the end of week to see what the club could do....bit of free PR if managed right. I did Offered to pay for a donation item myself, but I have had no response.

You could look put for them about 9.30pm outside the club entrance and give them a friendly wave...hahah

I'll put the kettle on 😉

Sorry to be a pain but I`m not on FB (and never intend to be) - are these people going to be at Latics on Good Friday at 9.30pm ? What a bloody strange time if so lol - nevertheless, I'd like to show my support, so please could someone confirm for me? Ta.

• 4 weeks later...

Graham Mackrell, former Secretary of Sheffield Wednesday and in charge of stadium safety at the time of the disaster, has been fined £6,500, equivalent to £67.70 for each of the 96 victims. He has also been ordered to pay £5,000 towards the prosecution costs.

13 hours ago, whittles left foot said:

It was also stated that he did not directly cause the crush that resulted in the 96 deaths. Bit of fair reporting reqd.

Fair enough.

He was found guilty of failing to discharge a duty under the Health and Safety at Work Act in respect of ensuring there were enough turnstiles to prevent unduly large crowds building up outside the ground. The court heard there were seven turnstiles available for the 10,100 Liverpool fans with standing tickets.

Judge Sir Peter Openshaw said: "He should have realised there was an obvious risk that so many spectators could not pass through seven turnstiles in time for kick-off. The defendant's offence was at least one of the direct causes of the crush at the turnstiles outside the ground but it was not a direct cause of the crush on the terraces inside the ground that resulted in the deaths of 96 spectators and injury to many more, to which the crush outside the ground did no more than set the scene."

The fans emerging from those seven turnstiles should not have been allowed to enter the terrace through the tunnel into the middle pen - they should have been directed to the side pens, where there was adequate room for them. My question is who was responsible for this failure under Health and Safety legislation?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/3/2019 at 12:31 PM, rosa said:

Mackrell guilty. No verdict on Duckenfield. CPS to seek a retrial so we'll all have to refrain from commenting a while longer. 

https://news.sky.com/story/hillsborough-david-duckenfield-trial-jury-fails-to-reach-verdict-11683069

4 hours ago, Diego_Sideburns said:

A retrial of the manslaughter charge against David Duckenfield is scheduled for 7 October 2019.

Reminder for those thinking of commenting. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 6/25/2019 at 6:36 PM, rudemedic said:

Reminder for those thinking of commenting. 

The two retired police officers and  former solicitor accused of trying to minimise the blame on South Yorkshire Police in the aftermath of the 1989 disaster have been acquitted.

The trial Judge ruled they had no case to answer. He said the statements had been prepared for the public inquiry chaired by Lord Taylor in 1990, which was not a statutory inquiry and therefore not considered "a court of law", so it was not a "course of public justice" which could be perverted.

7 hours ago, Diego_Sideburns said:

The two retired police officers and  former solicitor accused of trying to minimise the blame on South Yorkshire Police in the aftermath of the 1989 disaster have been acquitted.

The trial Judge ruled they had no case to answer. He said the statements had been prepared for the public inquiry chaired by Lord Taylor in 1990, which was not a statutory inquiry and therefore not considered "a court of law", so it was not a "course of public justice" which could be perverted.

The law is an ass. 

15 minutes ago, Wednesday said:

..and it seems the CPS don’t know the law and couldn’t present a case. Now , who used to be head of CPS? 

I think the key words there are 'used to be'. 8 years?

I thought the speech by the brief outside the court yesterday complaining about the costs of the trial and the time it had taken to come to court was particularly distasteful. Whose fault was it that it all took so long and racked up so much in cost? It appears that the defendants have got off on a technicality.

11 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

I thought the speech by the brief outside the court yesterday complaining about the costs of the trial and the time it had taken to come to court was particularly distasteful. Whose fault was it that it all took so long and racked up so much in cost? It appears that the defendants have got off on a technicality.

Distasteful or not they haven't got off on a technicality they have "got off" on a point of law - you can not be guilty of an offence if an offence doesn't exist.

I find it amazing that misleading an inquiry is not criminal but that's where the fault is - not in this ruling